Author Topic: Quick-change disc  (Read 5847 times)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Quick-change disc
« on: April 04, 2013, 01:21:01 AM »
I dug out a box of 3M quick-change abrasive discs that I've had for a long time and then realized that I didn't have a spindle to mount them on.

After fooling around with a number of bad ideas, I tried screwing the QC on to a 1/4"-20 bolt and Voila! it fit perfectly. I cut off the head of the bolt and that left a 1/4" dia spindle that fits into the collet on my die grinder or into a cordless drill. The day was saved-- I didn't have to drive into town to find a QC spindle or order it on-line.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Quick-change disc
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 08:24:55 AM »
Watch out putting them in the die grinder. It likely rotates faster than the designed rating for the discs. It isn't pretty when a disc, even a small one lets go.  :-o :-o :cry:

Pete

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 10:36:51 AM »
It can be fun to start and stop your air tool a few times then chase the disk around the shop. Air tools will unscrew and spit off the disk. :-D
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 11:37:28 AM »
Pete;

These are 1 1/2" discs that are rated at 18,000 RPM.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 12:58:27 AM »
I'm sponsored by Norton Abrasives and learned a very interesting fact about discs. There's a code stamped on the metal rim that gives info on build date etc. I was told that even cutting discs have a shelf life. There are products out there that look like the real thing but aren't. Die Grinders are the most versatile of tools and I'd be lost without them. :cheers:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 01:36:25 AM »
That's a nice sponsor , Mike. Norton makes the best abrasives that I've ever used but I like the 3M "Scotchbrite-type little discs for light-duty stuff.

I've never heard about a shelf life on abrasive discs but I do know that there are many counterfeit products out there.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 10:20:30 AM »
It can be fun to start and stop your air tool a few times then chase the disk around the shop. Air tools will unscrew and spit off the disk. :-D
LOL, pay that one! :cheers:
  Sid.

Offline Kevin G

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 10:44:23 AM »
My cut off wheel arbors are constantly walking off. Putting the disk on a 1/4" bolt holding it in place with s nut and chucking it in the die grinder has saved me many times.
68 in a 55. Michigan State Police. 98
65 in a 55. Wayne County Sheriff. 02
Loud exhaust. Memphis City Police 03

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 11:05:41 AM »
Have you ever tried the 3M abrasive-bristle disc. They work great for light rust removal on steel and polish-smooth out aluminum.
They have little rubber-plastic looking fingers and the more they wear down the better they work.
McMaster-carr has them.
Doug Odom in big ditch enjoying the weather.
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 11:47:41 AM »
Doug;

Thanks for the recommendation. No, I had not heard of the 3M abrasive bristle discs before so I looked them up on Google. They sound great; I will try some right away.

Offline Kevin G

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 02:30:40 PM »
The bristle disks work great. Just be careful on machined surfaces They are more aggressive than they look.
68 in a 55. Michigan State Police. 98
65 in a 55. Wayne County Sheriff. 02
Loud exhaust. Memphis City Police 03

Offline tauruck

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 11:45:32 PM »
That's a nice sponsor , Mike. Norton makes the best abrasives that I've ever used but I like the 3M "Scotchbrite-type little discs for light-duty stuff.

I've never heard about a shelf life on abrasive discs but I do know that there are many counterfeit products out there.

I have numerous sponsors including 3M. The rep from 3M was a little unhappy that Norton was supplying the abrasives but we'll try keeping the decals as far away from each other as possible. I'll post pics a little later of the attachment I have that holds the small discs for the die grinder. The Norton rep showed me pics of damage caused by substandard discs made in the Far East. Makes me shiver. A little tip for you Neil, You say you hate working with glass?. If you're using the woven fabric just spray a line of 3M Spray 77 where you want to cut the material and the strands won't unravel. It's like cutting paper, no runs. I even use the spray to bond material in place before laminating.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 12:41:12 AM »
Thanks for your helpful advice, Mike.