Author Topic: High Speed Driver Kitty O'Neil. 512mph for 1 mile and 396mph 3.22 secs 1/4 mile.  (Read 16090 times)

Offline MAYOMAN

There are NO "women's" land speed records. NONE!
Kitty still holds the 1/2 km standing start record for Category C at 207.739 mph.
That is the AVERAGE speed for the distance - peak speed would have been around 400 mph.
Kitty was a very brave and fast woman.
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline Stan Back

Why are you so obsessed with this subject?  We get your point.

What're the world records for drag racing?  For quarter-mile dirt tracks?  For a 500-mile stock car race?  For a 68 green Camaro with 6-cylinder, PowerGlide and plaid interior?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline MAYOMAN

Fraudulent claims for spurious world records diminish the achievements of actual world record holders.
The Landracing community must defend the integrity of their sport.
World land speed records for automobiles are the purview of the FIA – the only international sanctioning body for automobile racing.
Likewise, FIM is the only international sanctioning body for motorcycle world land speed records.

NHRA can sanction claims for NHRA records, NASCAR can sanction claims for NASCAR records, SCTA-BNI can sanction claims for SCTA-BNI records, and so forth. Those are not world land speed records.

WLSRA records are not world land speed records just because they say they are. When the persons alleging setting WLSRA records are the same persons who ARE the WLSRA, that should alert the Landracing community to a credibility problem.

If anyone can claim any phony record they want, then the whole sport of land speed racing will be rendered irrelevant. The Landracing community must defend its sport – nobody else will.
That is the point!

Offline TD

OT:

Should Bloodhound SSC manage to beat either the thrust or jet propulsion records into what category would it be classified?  Inquiring minds want to know :)

Offline MAYOMAN

Bloodhound SSC could be listed in Category under BOTH jet and rocket thrust records if it sets new records in BOTH.
Otherwise, only in jet OR rocket thrust records if it only sets a record in one.
Perhaps the most important, is the FIA Absolute World Record and FIA Outright World Record list.

Offline ski123

Well stated MAYOMAN
Facts Matter!

Offline TD

Bloodhound SSC could be listed in Category under BOTH jet and rocket thrust records if it sets new records in BOTH.
Otherwise, only in jet OR rocket thrust records if it only sets a record in one.
Perhaps the most important, is the FIA Absolute World Record and FIA Outright World Record list.

Definitely the Absolute list, and the Outright record.

My understanding of BSSC planned operation is that the jet engine will be used up to 600 or 650 MPH (the website lists both values on different pages), after which the rocket will be started.  After that the car will be propelled by both.

Perhaps a new class will be required and created?

Offline MAYOMAN

The reason I am “so adamant” is that I have designed, built and owned automobiles that set FIA World Records for the Standing Start ¼ mile, ½ kilometer, and 1 kilometer as well as the Flying Start 1 mile and 1 kilometer (which was also the FIA Absolute World Record and Outright World Record, and lasted 27 years).

Some of those records were later broken by competitors, also timed and sanctioned by the FIA.

Others have made fraudulent claims with vague or non-existent timing or sanctioning in the past.

These spurious claims must be exposed to preserve the validity of the REAL records.

Offline ronnieroadster

The reason I am “so adamant” is that I have designed, built and owned automobiles that set FIA World Records for the Standing Start ¼ mile, ½ kilometer, and 1 kilometer as well as the Flying Start 1 mile and 1 kilometer (which was also the FIA Absolute World Record and Outright World Record, and lasted 27 years).

Some of those records were later broken by competitors, also timed and sanctioned by the FIA.

Others have made fraudulent claims with vague or non-existent timing or sanctioning in the past.

These spurious claims must be exposed to preserve the validity of the REAL records.

Could it be fake news?  :-o One wonders.  FIA has been at times really high and mighty many are not concerned with such world shattering speed records when the FIA lettering is included. Grass roots real records are more to the liking of the majority the way I see it just saying. Hey maybe the FIA should start a woman's world record class they certainly would enjoy charging huge sums of money for this new category.    :-D
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline MAYOMAN

Thank you Ronnie Roadster. You are making my point.

Your ECTA, LTA, and SCTA “grass roots” records have been set in conformance with those organizations’ published rules on the classes, record distances and procedures.
They have been timed and certified by those independent organizations.
In order to break your ECTA, LTA, and SCTA records, the competitors will have to abide by the same rules and be certified by those same independent organizations.
They provide the integrity of your achievements.

Reading stories about SCTA Bonneville records in Hot Rod Magazine in the 1950s was what got me interested in land speed racing in the first place.
BTW, I still think the beautiful  Shadoff Special was remarkable for that time.

Sure, FIA timing and certification is expensive, but that is part of the deal. When an FIA world record is set or broken you know what really happened. The competitors pay for that assurance.

Flatheads Forever!