Author Topic: Production motorcycle brake lines  (Read 2200 times)

Online edinlr

Production motorcycle brake lines
« on: March 30, 2013, 10:43:11 PM »
I have a 1983 Honda that I plan to run this summer.  I am concerned because I have steel brake lines on the bike.  I saw a post that Slim did years ago saying these were not allowed.  How big an issue is this as it hardly makes the bike any faster.  New rubber lines have not been available for years for this bike.
Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Production motorcycle brake lines
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 09:54:25 AM »
I'd send a note to Van Butler and/or Matt Schuss pronto and ask.  I know it was not allowed for us to sub. SS lines on the '08 Kawasaki production bike.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Steve Walters

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 12:47:56 PM »
The rule placed on Slim was probably, 7.A.B  O.E.M.  It is real hard to have a production class bike, cause if it is visible and not stock from the factory, it is not legal in production.  I personally don't check the brake lines with a magnet, could be Slim rubbed a tech the wrong way, I really can't fathom that happening.  At that time the Japanese bikes were really overwhelming all the rest of the bikes in LSR.  7 to 1 last I figured, and out of that, the hyabusa's would be 6 out of 7. 

At night I count busa's coming through the tech line to go to sleep.  Out of all of them I don't think I have ever seen two that look alike.  Matt is always quick with an answer, and he has the say.  :-)

I've been from Bone to Blackfoot, but still just a Newbie here.

Wa's Bad Banana
B/CGALT

Offline JimL

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 08:53:51 PM »
Ed, Honda often sub'd similar to original brake lines, cables etc.  They were famous for suddenly changing lengths for no obvious reason.  You could probably use honda rubber lines from another model that have the same ends, but might be slightly different length.  I remember one model that had three different front brake hose lengths in the first year of production, and the one that fit best was never offered for replacement parts stock.

I once owned a 350 Scrambler that had a shorter than stock front fender...except it came right out of the crate that way.  For some reason they sawed a little off both ends, on some number of bikes, then rechromed the fenders without even smoothing off the splinters!  If you ordered a fender, you got one that didnt match, but bolted on.  When the next model year arrived, we found out what the replacement fender matched.

How that would have been inspected in impound would be a real challenge!