Author Topic: What to do with old race T-shirts  (Read 2523 times)

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
What to do with old race T-shirts
« on: March 29, 2013, 07:38:11 PM »
I've talked about it and lots of you have at least thought, if not talked, about doing this, too.  So finally I did something.  My cousin out in Mora, NM, said she makes quilts - so I sent her about 20 shirts to make a race shirt quilt.  I gave her the (approximate) layout I wanted - and a few months later -- here it is.  

You can't see it in this photo, bot there's some nice stitching and quilting.  Stuff like the letters in the SCTA logo have been sewn in so they stand out a little more.  In the lower left corner there's a Speed Demon things -- the three colored stripes zagging down -- and they're all stitched for extra emphasis, too.  As are lots of things.  Then she also too bits and parts of the shirts and made them into the little patches you see here and there -- the ERC patch and 200 MPH Club patch and so on.  She emailed one time and asked Nancy's favorite color -- and you can see the various shades of green used between all of the shirt art and the border surrounding the entire bunch of shirts.  Nice!

I got this as a gift for Nancy (and me).  For a long time I wanted one -- but never got around to getting one.  Finally!

If you'd like I'll be finding out from her if she's interested in doing one for you.  I don't know her price - but from the amount of work she obviously put in - it ain't gonna be cheap.  But it will be - - totally unique.  One of a kind.  A forever keepsake to hang on your wall of trophies and records.

Whaddaya think of it?   :cheers: :cheers: :-D :-D :cheers: :-D

Edit:  Ooops, I forgot the photo.  Thanks, Don. :roll:
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 07:49:14 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: What to do with old race T-shirts
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 07:44:16 PM »
There are several here on the west coast that make quilts and tee shirt car covers. At the Gear Grinder Banquet one sold for $300.00. The money went to the club hospital fund.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline salt27

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 07:46:55 PM »
Photo?

[You are welcome.]

Don
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 07:56:24 PM by salt27 »

Offline jdincau

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 08:10:05 PM »
Old T shirt? What's that?

Sign on the back of Dale Armstrong's trailer in the 70's
"Use it up, wear it out, eat it all"
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 10:56:59 AM »
Jon, A friend of mine did something similar with shirts  from his annual " Molefest" party. 30+ years of celebrating the moles returning to his yard...Much like the swallows returning to Capistano....Did I mention he`s a friend of mine ??? :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 01:07:31 PM »
I made the mistake  :-D of taking the one my daughter-in-law made me for Christmas one year to Jack's Garage (GearGrinder) and somehow they now now have them at their awards meeting. (Jack's wife, Nita?). They are really neat to have especially if personalized...I have 6 plastic seal boxes of old (some new in there packages) of Bonneville and SCTA shirts. What to do-what to do?.............JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 11:20:27 AM »
Thought I was kiddding eh??
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.