Author Topic: Hot Rod Homecoming  (Read 2694 times)

Offline Stan Back

Hot Rod Homecoming
« on: March 28, 2013, 11:58:14 AM »
From last weekend's show (actually the parking lot).  Two roadsters, about the same speed, one takes a lot more time to get there.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Hot Rod Homecoming
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 12:21:12 PM »
 :-D  :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline JamesJ

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 12:21:51 PM »
How was the show, I was out there the weekend before and there was allot of talking about it...

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 12:49:37 PM »
There isnt a better example of a AA/Fuel Altered than the Winged Express. Love it! Thanks for sharing the pic Stan.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 05:03:27 PM »
The show was great!

But, having it again is another issue.  It celebrated the 65th anniversary of Hot Rod.  So 70th, 75th for having it again?

Very lightly attended -- meaning light on Saturday and about 1/2 that Sunday.  I go to one show a year (the crap at the Nugget doesn't count), and this one was free(!) as the roadster was featured in the April '56 issue.  More racers than the GNRS and maybe only 1/2 a dozen red 32 Roadsters as opposed to Father's Day. 

The vendors probably paid thru the nose and the small attendance may not have justified their expense.  I don't see it happening again.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 05:24:24 PM »
I sure didn't seem to be promoted very much  :?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 06:48:27 PM »
I thought the turn out was pretty good.  I saw lots and lots of people.  I also think the show was totally bitchin'.  Probably the one time in my life where I'll be able to see all those awesome cars together in one spot.  Brought back many memories.  Was bummed to see many open spots of those who reserved but didn't make it. 

I thought they advertized pretty well.  They ran full page ads in HR for many months.  HR for a long time was the number one selling 'mens' magazine (may still be) so you'd think putting an ad in your own best selling mag would be considered good advertizing.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 08:42:48 PM »
Well, I saw lots of people I knew, but I'd estimate attendance at less than half the Grand National Roadster Show.  Always lots of room.  The inside cars were freebies, and yes, a bunch didn't show to cover their investment($0).  On Sunday the outside (paying) cars were scarce.  One LSR major supporter/vendor was quite disappointed when I quizzed him what he thought.

But, the show was great!  Probably not a financial success or repeatable.

Offline GH

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 09:42:06 AM »
I saw on the Bangshift forum that Lee had his winged car #1001 there.

Offline saltracer1

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 09:44:47 AM »