Author Topic: Towing ?  (Read 2144 times)

Offline Bob Wanner

Towing ?
« on: March 26, 2013, 02:38:28 PM »
Does anybody have a grip on what the actual realistic capacity for both towing AND carrying passengers/gear on/in a Crew type pick up or Suburban type rig? All the manufacturer ads tout towing capacity and also passengers and gear, but not specifically if you could actually load up both to those claims.
An extreme example would be a six passenger crew cab, loaded bed, and whatever the maximum advertised towing capacity. Tongue weight is recommended like around 10%, so some of the biggest tow capacities around 16K would suggest 1600 lbs on the tongue. If it's a crew, that's six @ over 150 lbs @, and the actual rolling towed trailer. That's 2500 lbs, plus gear, carried and a lot of rolling pull. I'd assume it's either passengers and stuff, or the tow, not both.
Whaddya you think?

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Towing ?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 02:57:25 PM »
Bob, most of the time the mfr's literature will give you a "GCWR" - gross combined weight rating.  That's the number you're seeking.  We've gone over the scale with the trailer on the truck - and it totals about 14,000.  Half of that is the truck.  Just my comment -- yours will almost certainly vary.

As for the weight on the tongue -- don't assume that 10% is correct.  On my equipment trailer the mfr. suggests 20 - 30% load on the tongue/hitch.  With the Bobcat on the trailer that equates to 2000 - 3000 pounds on the hitch.  I locate the Bobcat on the trailer (fore to aft) by looking at the truck's mudflaps' clearance to the ground.  Obviously -- the heavier the weight on the tongue, the lower the flaps.  I've towed it so many times that I know where I like to have it ride for best towing.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 03:14:56 PM »
hOW MANY AXLES DOES THE TRAILER HAVE, BE SURE THEY ARE IN GOOD CONDITION AND YOU HAVE TWO SPARES, THE TRAILER SHOULD HAVE A WEIGHT DISTRIBUTING HITCH, WE USE TOW MASTER TRAILER TIRES WITH A CODE "D" WHAT DOES THE CAR WEIGH, MOST TRUCK STOPS HAVE SCALES. OOP's sorry about the caps.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 06:01:14 PM »
I'll correct my earlier post, if you don't mind.  The trailer tongue is plainly marked to put 20-25% of the trailer weight on the tongue/hitch.  Sure enough - on the way home from using the Bobcat I had evidently loaded the machine a bit too far to the rear - meaning not enough weight on the hitch.  As we drove the trailer was zig-zagging left to right to left - 'cause of the too-little weight.  With the weight more properly where it is supposed to be it tows just dandy.

Other stuff about our rig:  We don't have any troubles towing it back and forth, fully loaded, across the Rocky Mountains.  We get about 14 mpg (partly because we got slower than the posted speed limits (we go 62 or so even if on a freeway marked 75 mph).  It's a two axle trailer with electric brakes.  I've got one spare tire - and about 20,000 miles on the trailer.  That spare is still brand new and hanging on the wall.  I do check the pressure in it at least once in a while, and the on-the-pavement tires get checked a couple of times before and during trips.  They're all trailer tires and I expect (but don't know for sure) that they're at least D (load range) rated.

I check the trailer wheel hubs for excessive heat at most fuel stops.  I've never had a bearing burn -- but then, I keep and eye on 'em and make sure they're lubed at the beginning of each towing season.  If you want any other details I'll be happy to supply 'em.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline JimL

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 03:02:59 AM »
Good stuff, fellows, and I will add my annual plug for "keep it out of overdriven gear!". Especially on manual trans, towing in over driven gears means each trailer "buck" you feel is hammering the forward countershaft bearing.

Some automatics will crush the Torrington bearing in the OD planetary, particularly if you tow in cruise control and overdrive (has to do with lock-up logic and line pressure logic for temp control).

Too bad I didnt take my own advice.  Last year I had to drive from Oregon to southeast Colorado to pick up the bike, back to Oregon, back to Bonneville, back to Oregon.  I got tired of going slow, so towed in 5th with my flatbed.

Put in the new countershaft bearing last week. :x

Live and (never) learn, as mama used to say.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 03:06:11 AM by JimL »

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 05:15:40 PM »
Once again , lots of good info shared, both here and in PMs and emails.
The only mystery is the rolling drag, kinda hard to measure according to the manufacturer's info in what they print on the door frames and in the manuals.
A well balanced load in a maintained truck and trailer driven at proper speeds is obviously the way to go. You can probably get away with a bit of overload if the speeds are kept down, which is the first rule to observe even if all the former is in order.
Trailering in the North East subjects your rig to all those toll booths and those sidewall seeking concrete bumpers, so stay awake and save a few tires and midnight tire changes in the dark on the Interstate.
Thank You...