Author Topic: Required reading for "motor heads":  (Read 2934 times)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Required reading for "motor heads":
« on: March 26, 2013, 01:38:09 PM »
If you haven't read it yet I highly recommend the new Kevin Cameron book "Classic Motorcycle Race Engines". Great tech info on 53 "classic" motorcycle race engines as only Kevin Cameron can do. Everything from single cylinder Goldstars and AJs to the latest desmo Ducati twins with the Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki 4 cylinder GP engines also included. The information provides a close look at early and "modern" engine technology and is applicable to all IC engines. Great reading! and available from Amazon for around $30.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Elmo Rodge

Re: Required reading for "motor heads":
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 02:19:29 PM »
Kevin Cameron is good. He has a monthly (I believe it's monthly) column in Cycle World magazine.  :wink: Wayno

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 02:39:44 AM »
Thanks for the heads-up on the book. I was recently fascinated by his description of the Guzzi V8 (magazine article); I'm guessing that engine must also be in the book?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 01:08:12 PM »
Jack,
Yes the Moto Guzzi V8 is one of the engines Kevin analysis, in fact it is the next one I am getting ready to read about. Great book!!!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 01:17:10 AM »
There is another book by Kevin Cameron and it is still in print, "Sportbike Performance Handbook" published by Motorbooks Workshop, ISBN 978-0-7603-3185-5.  There is a lot in the book to help us LSR guys and gals.  It is not a rare book.  The local book shop had it.

Offline 93SVT5.0TT

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 02:07:23 PM »
May I suggest the "to Win" series by Carroll Smith. From the Formula scene, these 5 books are the beginner's Bible. Carroll (who was the technical manager for the GT40 project, consultant to Ferrari F1, and worked at ARP for a decade) has written his books such that they are about the practical side of engineering, and you don't need to be an engineer to understand them. All five books are ~$120 (not each!!) from his web site or the SAE website. Honestly worth their weight in gold!  :cheers:

www.carrollsmith.com

Tristan