Author Topic: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build  (Read 931055 times)

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
Re: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build
« Reply #1575 on: February 16, 2017, 03:16:08 PM »
That sounds like a tedious job G, wiring is one of the most boring jobs I know.  :-(

I have bought half a sheet of aluminum from my friends Olle and Lasse, leftovers from building their new landracing car. A turbo- and supercharged 3.0L diesel Renault Kangoo! :)

https://youtu.be/3PLEK3z8qK8

I cut the sheet in two pieces so I could fit them in my little Citroen C1 and bring them home.

With the aluminum sheets brought home I could transfer the cardboard template to one of them.

A simple band saw for wood working is perfect for cutting thin aluminum.

Using the planishing hammer for the first time I quickly realized that it will take some time to master it, to learn the basics of forming sheet metal I think that a hammer and sandbag is better since the fuckups happen at a slower pace. :)

Using both planishing hammer, slip rollers, rubber mallet and my right knee I managed to get the fairing into roughly the right shape. At least at the bottom, I have more work left on top.

When this side is finished I just have to make a mirror image on the other side, luckily I have all spring to mess with this before I need the bike race ready. :)

Cheers!
/Anders
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 03:58:09 PM by Mobacken Racing »

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1576 on: February 19, 2017, 05:49:29 PM »
I´ve started on the right side fairing now, very tricky to get the progressive curves in three dimensions right. My friend Olov has an English wheel that I will borrow later to try to smoothen out the worst bashing marks.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Freud

« Reply #1577 on: February 20, 2017, 12:30:07 PM »
There's a class statement when You show up with an aluminum fairing.

Especially when You have made it yourself. Congratulations.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #1578 on: February 20, 2017, 01:54:37 PM »
Doc Freud:

I would add, showing up with your own design and built turbine engine is a statement as well as the aluminum fairing.

Great build Anders.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1579 on: February 20, 2017, 04:19:16 PM »
Thank you Freud and BR! Unfortunately it is only partially aluminum, but some day when I have got the hang of the sheet metal forming I will get rid of all the glass fiber and make new fairings completely in aluminum.

I borrowed my friend Olovs english wheel today and after a couple of passes the right side fairing fit much better.

We are getting ready for Speed Weekend now, Olov is greasing up the jet kick sled suspension and the old caravan has been dried up a bit indoors for a couple of days. A fun weekend ahead! 8-)

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #1580 on: February 20, 2017, 05:39:19 PM »
When you have time, maybe next week, after that weekend the speed weekend, you could tell us about the Caravan and maybe post some pics on it.

Franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1581 on: February 21, 2017, 04:30:09 PM »
When you have time, maybe next week, after that weekend the speed weekend, you could tell us about the Caravan and maybe post some pics on it.

Franey

Hi Franey,

There is sort of a bet going on between Olov and me if the caravan will get down to Åsrunda and back without falling to pieces, entering it you get the same feeling you get when you step into one of those inflatable jumping castles for kids... :-D

http://www.opio.nu/opio_nu_History_se.html

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1582 on: February 21, 2017, 09:05:56 PM »
Rub soap on the aluminum and heat it with a propane torch till the soap turns brown.  Then, you can beat more curvature into it.  Beating work hardens it and the torch anneals it.  Sometimes the heat and beat cycle needs to be repeated several times to get the right shape.

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #1583 on: February 21, 2017, 09:19:23 PM »
You can use Acetylene Gas to smoke it black and heat the other side till the black burns off and it will be annealed :cheers:

John
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #1584 on: February 22, 2017, 09:27:07 AM »
If it work hardens and you continue to try to work the piece, it may crack. An English wheel relaxes the stress also. If you wheeled the whole thing you may be able to work it some more. Just be observant of how much it dents when you hit it. You can tell when it gets hard.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline MattGuzzetta

« Reply #1585 on: February 22, 2017, 02:27:53 PM »
Anders, you are truly amazing, fearless about taking on a project!  Most mentioned about forming aluminum is banging the material into a bag and then smoothing it out with an English wheel.  When I designed a car in college in 1965, the aluminum body panels were formed completely on an English wheel by a master Jack Sutton, who did a ton of aircraft parts and race car bodys.  It was a rare treat to watch such a superb craftsman at work.  Here are a couple of photos of the car in process to show what can be done by a master at work. Notice the huge English Wheel in the photo.  Most guys use a planishing tool now as well as a shrinking tool.

I guess the methods are getting less used today and it is great that the spirit of actually making something from nothing is being continued in the LSR and hot rod community!
Keep up the tradition!
Matt Guzzetta

Offline Freud

« Reply #1586 on: February 22, 2017, 03:09:12 PM »
Hello, Matt.

Me thinks we is aging.

Red wine will slow the process.

Hw old is the child that came to

B'Ville with You and Vesco ?

FREUD
Since '63

Offline salt27

« Reply #1587 on: February 28, 2017, 04:31:23 PM »

Franey

Hi Franey,

There is sort of a bet going on between Olov and me if the caravan will get down to Åsrunda and back without falling to pieces, entering it you get the same feeling you get when you step into one of those inflatable jumping castles for kids... :-D

http://www.opio.nu/opio_nu_History_se.html

Cheers!
/Anders

And the winner is?   

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1588 on: March 01, 2017, 12:18:01 AM »
Thanks a lot for the aluminum forming hints, that will make it a lot easier!

Matt, the skill needed for making such a car fairing is truly awesome! I cannot imagine the hours of practice needed before you can form metal like that, my own humble beginnings are the first step on the way there so I´ll keep at it. :-)

About the caravan bet, it is difficult to tell the winner as you will see in the beginning of the race weekend video:  :-D

https://youtu.be/hqvgCrZ0RVY

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Vinsky

« Reply #1589 on: March 01, 2017, 11:15:33 AM »
Now that's a bunch of crazy Swedes!  You sure know how to have fun. I think you should retire the trailer though, it looks like it's made it's last trip.
John