Author Topic: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build  (Read 932275 times)

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
Re: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build
« Reply #1560 on: February 01, 2017, 11:16:49 AM »
Thank you very much bbarn! :cheers:

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1561 on: February 02, 2017, 04:08:42 PM »
I made a quick test rig to check that the 18 syringe injectors would produce a similar spray pattern.

I couldn´t see any noticable difference between the injectors, so they´ll do. :)

I cleaned the fuel manifold out with compressed air and fitted it to the engine just to see if the injectors would fit without any problem, they slid right in so I consider the fuel system finished.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1562 on: February 02, 2017, 04:59:39 PM »
Thanks a lot for the stickers you sent to me, I am very proud to display the "Save the Salt" and "Landracing.com" stickers to the Swedish landspeed community!

Offline salt27

« Reply #1563 on: February 02, 2017, 09:03:01 PM »
You are welcome Anders.
Thanks for sharing your build with us.   :cheers:

Don

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1564 on: February 04, 2017, 05:07:45 PM »
It is about time to extend the fairings all the way down to the fuel tank, so I rolled a length of thick aluminum into a suitable radius.

The idea is to use these strips as the anchoring points for a pair of aluminum sheet fairing sides, mounting brackets will be welded to the fuel tank to which the fairings will be fitted.

I´ll try to cover up as much of the space in front of my legs as possible, I think that I will reduce drag noticeably by hiding all of the hoses and stuff so they won´t sit in the wind and cause turbulence.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1565 on: February 05, 2017, 04:58:19 PM »
I wish it was as simple as buying the slipperiest AirTech Streamlining fairings and bolt it on, sadly there is not one part of this bike that resembles a production motorcycle since the odd stance, width and exhaust position would force me to cut such a fairing to pieces in order to make it fit.

Easier then to make my own, and probably more rewarding in the end.

I´ve welded two pair of brackets to the fuel tank as the lower mounting points for the side fairings, I will later add an upper mount to make the fairing rigid enough.

Using some cardboard I can figure out the shape of the fairings, it cannot hide any part of my arms or legs due to class regulations so I will experiment a bit to find a shape that looks aerodynamically "right" while still maintaining the overall appearance of the bike. Luckily those two often go hand in hand. :)

Cheers!
/Anders
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 12:03:25 AM by Mobacken Racing »

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1566 on: February 06, 2017, 05:04:34 PM »
I just got back from my friend Olovs place where we test ran the jet kick sled before the Speed Weekend event little more than two weeks from now, the new dry sump system seems to work perfectly and holds a stable oil pressure even with high oil temps!

We´ve also fitted an oil cooler in front to keep the temps at reasonable levels, with two S500 turbochargers the oil temps rise pretty quickly without any cooling.

https://youtu.be/VehxpU3qfEQ

Keep your fingers crossed for a smooth ice track and lots of SPEED!!! :)

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1567 on: February 06, 2017, 07:02:13 PM »
Very cool, Anders. That clear vinyl plastic hose does not have a very high pressure rating, particularly when hot- if it is what I think it is.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1568 on: February 07, 2017, 12:05:07 AM »
Very cool, Anders. That clear vinyl plastic hose does not have a very high pressure rating, particularly when hot- if it is what I think it is.

Thanks Neil!

The plastic hose is only placed on the oil return side where there isn´t any pressure, we used it to see that the scavenge pump had an overcapacity by checking for air bubbles in the oil.

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1569 on: February 09, 2017, 04:40:15 PM »
Tonight I cut and taped a bit more cardboard to the bike and got this.

When I was satisfied I sprayed some black paint on the cardboard to better get an idea of what it will look like when finished, pretty decent I think. I will get someone to take a picture with me on the bike to better show how the fairing will follow the angle of the foot and leg.

As the upper fairing bracket I will try to use a turnbuckle, I find them attractive for some strange reason plus it will be easy to adjust the width of the fairings with it.

A couple of meters of cable wrap arrived with the mail today, a sure improvement compared to a dangling crow nest of cables... :)

To make the aluminum side panels I have built myself a bench mounted planishing hammer, I haven´t had time to try it out much but so far I am very satisfied with it. Right now I have a radiused hammer and a flat die but I have ordered a flat hammer and will make a set of different radiused dies later.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1570 on: February 09, 2017, 05:58:48 PM »
Anders said:  "... a dangling crow nest of cables..."  Close - but not quite right.  At least as far as my American language training goes, a crow('s) nest is that place way the heck up on the top end of the mast on a sailing ship.  A RAT's nest, however, is a mess of something - like a rat's nest of wires.

However we've got another term for a big mess - although it's a bit less socially acceptable and you may well know it and just opted to let it ride unsaid.  That'd be describing the mess of wires (or anything, for that matter) as a clusterf*ck.

Over to you.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1571 on: February 09, 2017, 08:37:29 PM »
Just fiberglass over the cardboard, Anders!   :-D

Offline WhizzbangK.C.

• Ed Bennett, Speed Team Doo Kansas City fab shop.
« Reply #1572 on: February 09, 2017, 08:40:37 PM »
I built a plannishing hammer like that. I found that a bicycle shift cable worked great to rig up a foot operated trigger so that I had more control over the operation.
Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of.  Douglas Adams

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1573 on: February 11, 2017, 04:24:37 PM »
Jon: My bad, it was a bit of Swenglish as we call it. Here the equivalent of a "rat´s nest" is a "skatbo" which translates to "magpie nest". I´ll remember the term clusterfuck, it sums up most of the wiring I do.  :-D

Neil: The thought hit me that many show bikes are probably built in that fashion, the skulls and crap would fall of before the bikes would hit 60mph... :-)

WhizzbangK.C.: A friend pointed me to a dirt cheap pneumatic foot pedal on Ebay so I´ve ordered one. As you say you don´t get much control of the job without any way of throttling the hammer.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 01:52:53 AM by Mobacken Racing »

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #1574 on: February 11, 2017, 04:57:05 PM »
Swenglish, I like it
I had to remember not to speak Australian while I was in the USA.
I like the planishing hammer idea.
Also the "cardboad fibre" fairing is great. What sort of resin would you use :-D

I do a lot of wiring and it gets called a lot of things. I'm currently rewiring a bike that's just been rewired
and fixing all the other things on it that the customer fixed himself so they don't fall off before it gets to 60
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm