Author Topic: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build  (Read 932365 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build
« Reply #1350 on: July 05, 2016, 06:50:34 PM »
I'll say it another way, Anders.  You say "Phew!" when the parts fit the first time.  When that happens for me I need to go on a pilgrimage and forty days of fasting and such to express my thanks for an absolute frickin' miracle.

And you merely say "phew".  I remain awed. :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1351 on: July 06, 2016, 08:04:51 AM »
Thanks Jon!  :-)

This is actually one of the biggest benefits with the 3D printed patterns, if I had hand made a wooden pattern there would be a slight but still accountable difference between the placement of the 15 wedges. Then I would have been forced to find a unique placement for every single hole instead of just turning the rotary table to the right angles and drill like I did now.

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1352 on: July 08, 2016, 05:58:53 PM »
With a slight touch of fever I made some progress on the compressor section after work today, to do the final grinding of the compressor clearance I assembled the core of the engine.

Here I am about to torque down the compressor nut, I didn´t have a socket that fitted the star shaped pattern on the nut so I had to improvise a bit. I´ll get a proper socket and use the T-handle later.

With that done I started countersinking the stainless cover screws.

Some jobs are both easier to do and leaves a better result when done by hand, this was such a job. It would have taken forever to properly align all 15 holes in the mill since the compressor cover is too big to fit the rotary table oriented this way.

Finished! I´ll leave the cast surface of the cover as it is, it looks much better than a mirror polish that I probably would scratch up terribly.

Then I spent an hour doing the final fitting of the compressor wheel, with scribing paint it is easy to see where the blades rub the housing.

The JU-02 is really starting to look mean now, perhaps difficult to see on a picture but it sure makes the JU-01 look small. :)

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline bones

« Reply #1353 on: July 13, 2016, 04:09:37 AM »
Hi Anders

Won't your digital read out do the pitching for the bolts?
Then there is no need for a rotary table. Just bolt the job to the mill table and center the tool chuck.
Tell the read out PCD vand number of holes.

cheers   Bones

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1354 on: July 13, 2016, 09:27:00 AM »
Hi Anders

Won't your digital read out do the pitching for the bolts?
Then there is no need for a rotary table. Just bolt the job to the mill table and center the tool chuck.
Tell the read out PCD vand number of holes.

cheers   Bones

I tried that at first but the table can´t move far enough to center in on all 15 holes.

Offline rd400f

• New folks
« Reply #1355 on: July 13, 2016, 09:20:17 PM »
Hi
How do you maintain the compressor clearance as things get hotter?
Or do all parts expand by the same amount?
Thanks
Richard

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1356 on: July 14, 2016, 06:22:44 AM »
Hi
How do you maintain the compressor clearance as things get hotter?
Or do all parts expand by the same amount?
Thanks
Richard

Hi Richard,

During the JU-01 engine build it was sort of a trial and error job, I made it as tight as I thought it should be and added a tenth or two of a millimeter when I got a rub from heat expansion.

Most likely this will be the case with JU-02 as well, but now I will try to start with slightly more generous clearances since I couldn´t measure any real drop in efficiency on JU-01 when experimenting with overly large axial clearances for the compressor exducer tips.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1357 on: July 14, 2016, 05:30:54 PM »
About time to get the bike sorted for the One Mile race in september! A to-do list filled with plain jibberish was made on the white board. :)

Last night gearing had top priority, to put less stress on the gearbox I´ve decided to run a tall gearing. A power turbine almost full HP at half its design rpm so I think I will have plenty of power anyway.

I stepped up 2 teeths on the front sprocket so now the theoretical top speed is slightly over 360km/h, I ca´t gno anywhere near that fast with this engine but it is good to have a gearing to grow into once JU-02 is built. I also rebuilt the rev sensor bracket since the new larger gear would hit it.

Now it´s better, I zinc coated it after the pic was taken so it won´t rust. Earlier this week I ordered a bike lift which arrived today, the girls helped me assemble it. :)

I can´t believe I haven´t bought one of these earlier, that would have saved me many long evenings standing on my knees on the concrete floor...

As you can see I have assembled the rear fairings as well after painting, only need to get some stickers and the race number on it.

Cheers!
/Anders
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 03:51:59 AM by Mobacken Racing »

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #1358 on: July 14, 2016, 06:39:34 PM »
Looks like our Harbor Freight brand lifts over here. I can't believe I didn't have one for the last 35 years till I got it in 07. Good idea to take that ramp off when it's up in the air. I never used the ramp clips on the pins. Its a good trip on the floor point.
Using 2 mechanic seats, one on each side, makes it a lot easier also.

Your project looks great. Good luck in September.

Franey

Is number 4 on your to do list really necessary?
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1359 on: July 15, 2016, 05:57:55 AM »
Looks like our Harbor Freight brand lifts over here. I can't believe I didn't have one for the last 35 years till I got it in 07. Good idea to take that ramp off when it's up in the air. I never used the ramp clips on the pins. Its a good trip on the floor point.
Using 2 mechanic seats, one on each side, makes it a lot easier also.

Your project looks great. Good luck in September.

Franey

Is number 4 on your to do list really necessary?

Thanks Franey! Good idea to remove the clips, the ramp stays in place anyway and by removing it once the bike is in the air there is less risk of skinning the legs when walking into it by mistake. :)

Nr.4 on the list says "check the tyre pressure", and it was very useful to do since I only had 2 bar in them.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #1360 on: July 15, 2016, 08:54:22 AM »
Anders, have you any idea of the weight of the bike?  It's difficult for me to guess -- with the turbine being an unknown lump.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1361 on: July 15, 2016, 09:06:19 AM »
Anders, have you any idea of the weight of the bike?  It's difficult for me to guess -- with the turbine being an unknown lump.

It weighed in at aprox. 190kg without oil and fuel if I remember it correct, despite the cast iron gearbox and heavy gel battery.

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #1362 on: July 15, 2016, 06:50:58 PM »

It weighed in at aprox. 190kg without oil and fuel if I remember it correct, despite the cast iron gearbox and heavy gel battery.

It's not like it needs to be light
2 bar, that would be about 29 psi?
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #1363 on: July 15, 2016, 07:04:07 PM »
Does anyone know pounds anymore.  I thought you guys were leaving the kilo stuff.  Have I mixed up pounds and dollars.  No worry, matters less to me.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #1364 on: July 15, 2016, 07:42:01 PM »
Stan, you've got it mixed up.  Dollars are for spending, and pounds is what a hammer does. :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com