Author Topic: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build  (Read 932362 times)

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
Re: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build
« Reply #1335 on: June 20, 2016, 05:13:50 PM »
I´ve spent a couple of hours fitting the compressor wheel to the cover, marking fluid is very useful for finding where the blades rub the housing.

With that done it was time to fit the compressor cover to the diffusor plate, since the outer radius on the casting pattern wasn´t exactly a true radius I had to copy it and make a profiling tool for the lathe.

Luckily the cast aluminum is rather soft, if it was billet 6061 alloy this wouldn´t work at all... :)

It took a handful of hours to get the compressor cover profile close enough to the diffusor radius, lots of fine grinding and measuring before it was acceptable. At the same time I turned down the thickness of the cover to get close to the right axial clearance for the compressor, taking the last tenths of a millimeter I´ll save until I have fastened the cover to the diffusor properly and fitted the rotary assembly together with the right torque.

Next up is to drill and thread the parts so they can be assembled, I just need to do some measuring and thinking first.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1336 on: June 27, 2016, 05:56:10 PM »
I picked up my fairings at a friends house last night after a paint job, now they are a nice satin black. Exact same color as the frame in fact, it looks a bit graphite in the pics but that is just the light messing with the picture.

I haven´t fitted the rear side panels yet, but they are black as well. I´ll hand paint the race numbers in silver on the rear fairing later so I won´t have to use duct tape like last year when I forgot all about it until 30 minutes before the race... :-)

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #1337 on: June 27, 2016, 07:20:55 PM »
Love it. Looks race ready.
 :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #1338 on: June 27, 2016, 07:24:01 PM »
Anders, that bike looks sooooooo good.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #1339 on: June 27, 2016, 08:53:02 PM »
Black on White,
What a beautiful sight,,  8-)
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline SabreTooth

« Reply #1340 on: June 28, 2016, 12:14:15 AM »
I picked up my fairings at a friends house last night after a paint job, now they are a nice satin black. Exact same color as the frame in fact, it looks a bit graphite in the pics but that is just the light messing with the picture.

I haven´t fitted the rear side panels yet, but they are black as well. I´ll hand paint the race numbers in silver on the rear fairing later so I won´t have to use duct tape like last year when I forgot all about it until 30 minutes before the race... :-)

Cheers!
/Anders

Back in Black! I like it. Anders, I continue to be in awe of your skills and collection thereof, in particular of late the casting, 3D printed pattern making and turning of the cast parts. Thanks for being open and sharing your journey and experiences.

Regards,
Jim

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1341 on: June 28, 2016, 01:51:40 AM »
Thank you guys!

Jim, good to hear that you enjoy reading about the casting process. Casting metal is a very rewarding hobby once you´ve learned enough (mostly through trial&error in my case) to be able to produce decent results most of the time.

It feels like I can be fairly generous with the detailed build information since I am the only one building a DIY gas turbine landspeed bike, I can´t imagine anyone wanting to spend years building a copy of my bike. :-)

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1342 on: June 28, 2016, 07:44:29 AM »
Anders said:  "...since I am the only one building a DIY gas turbine landspeed bike..."

I'd say that you're safe in making that absolute statement!! :-D :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1343 on: June 28, 2016, 04:54:58 PM »
Anders said:  "...since I am the only one building a DIY gas turbine landspeed bike..."

I'd say that you're safe in making that absolute statement!! :-D :cheers:

Oops, I should have written "as far as I know of". Being brought up in the internet age it is sometimes easy to forget that there still are folks out there that don´t post everything they do on the web... :-)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1344 on: June 28, 2016, 05:15:12 PM »
Well, then how about re-phrasing your comment to something like ".....since I am the only one building a DIY gas turbine landspeed bike that's got a black fairing and the build is in Sweden and it's a hard tail....."?  Would you be comfortable saying that? :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1345 on: June 28, 2016, 05:50:47 PM »
Well, then how about re-phrasing your comment to something like ".....since I am the only one building a DIY gas turbine landspeed bike that's got a black fairing and the build is in Sweden and it's a hard tail....."?  Would you be comfortable saying that? :-D

Surely we can´t be more than a handful of guys raising our hands to that claim.  :-D

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1346 on: June 30, 2016, 04:14:24 PM »
I found a use for the old failed compressor cover casting today, I needed to make a centering guide for drilling the bolt holes for the compressor cover so the cover lines up perfectly with the turbine shaft.

This is one of the most careful jobs on the engine, if I mess this up I risk destroying two large castings with many hours of work on them.

Here the centering guide is in place.

A little bit of tape and I got a suction fit for the compressor cover, now I just need to sit down and think this through a couple of times before I start drilling... :-)

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline thecarfarmer

• New folks
« Reply #1347 on: July 03, 2016, 01:18:33 AM »

[/URL]

I thought I was the only guy left who still uses vernier calipers...  ^^^

-WN
We all enter this world in the same way: naked; screaming; soaked in blood. But if you live your life right, that kind of thing doesn't have to stop there.

-Dana Gould

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1348 on: July 03, 2016, 04:09:55 PM »

[/URL]

I thought I was the only guy left who still uses vernier calipers...  ^^^

-WN

I have a digital caliper as well but I never use it, there is something strangely reassuring with analogue tools.

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1349 on: July 05, 2016, 04:32:39 PM »
During the last days I have been spending an hour or two fitting the compressor housing together.

After measuring twice I started drilling the 6.5mm holes through both the diffuser and compressor cover.

With the parts still fitted to the rotary table I threaded the holes for M8 bolts, then I removed the diffuser and opened the cover holes up to 8mm.

After wiping off the cutting fluid I had a look at the parts and the holes ended up just where I wanted. Phew! :)

Just to test the fit I used regular M8 bolts and tightened the parts together, later I will fit countersunk insex screws.

Cheers!
/Anders