Author Topic: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build  (Read 932311 times)

Offline Peter Jack

Re: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build
« Reply #1170 on: December 18, 2015, 04:24:10 PM »
It came north into Alberta instead Doug.  :-D :-D :-D

We were enjoying our semi tropical weather.

Pete

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #1171 on: December 18, 2015, 05:13:48 PM »
Its somewhat AMAZING that Anders has our attention............and yet all we can talk about is the weather :-D :-D :-D

BTW........I have a good start on 'making' wood for next winter........BECAUSE I HAVE BURNED SO LITTLE to date :lol:

Merry Christmas to all.............. :cheers:
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1172 on: December 26, 2015, 03:04:34 AM »
To get around the 34 year old promise I was forced to make to Santa about being a good boy all year to get gifts I decided to buy my own Christmas present this year.

I got an Autometer exhaust temp meter! With all the trouble I have had trying to measure a correct exhaust temperature I decided (after some poking from John) to buy a calibrated set of quality stuff instead of trying to find a gauge and thermocouple that works together.

Here the Autometer gauge is fitted to the dashboard, very nice with an analogue needle gauge instead of some digital numbers that never stays the same for a quarter of a second.

With that done I continued on the water injection, I connected a P2 line to the water regulator so the water pressure will increase when P2 pressure rises. Then I removed the regulator lid and made a 1/8"NPT threaded hole in it for a pressure switch.

The pressure switch is adjustable just like a Hobbs (but at 1/10 of the cost) and will be used to activate the water injection when the P2 pressure gets over 2 bar or so. I will have enough to think about while driving so I want the water injection to be fully automatic.

Here I have fitted everything to the bike again, all that is left to do is to wire the pump up and test flow the spray nozzle to find a good setting.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1173 on: December 28, 2015, 12:10:32 AM »
Anders, that idea you have of using analog gages and a go-pro camera to watch them during the run is an idea I am stealing from you for my build.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #1174 on: December 28, 2015, 04:56:33 AM »
Anders, that idea you have of using analog gages and a go-pro camera to watch them during the run is an idea I am stealing from you for my build.

It works great and I can recommend this method.   It reveals the "truth" about rpm and other issues, rather than a "driver's impression".   IMHO, drivers have more important things to do as opposed to watching gages . . . . . . . . . . .   :-D     Some trial runs to establish focus is helpful.

Just sayin'

:cheers:
Fordboy

Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1175 on: December 28, 2015, 05:34:31 AM »
I totally agree, you can´t rely on memory at all. At least not in my case, everything I notice during a run gets mixed up the moment I get off the bike so video logging the dashboard is essential.

If it weren´t for the gopro video I would have had a hard time figuring out some of the sudden flameouts I have experienced during braking, the video showed that the oil pressure dropped for a split second which I later found was caused by the oil pickup sucking air. Since I have a safety pressure switch on the oil line the fuel pump is deactivated when the oil pressure drops below 3bar, and that shuts the engine down.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #1176 on: December 28, 2015, 05:49:08 AM »
Anders,

Once again, thinking about it first, typically works out better, as your build illustrates.

I LOVE your build and your technology based approach.    Your welding and fabricating skills are pretty impressive also.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Fordboy

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #1177 on: December 28, 2015, 09:53:25 AM »
Just courious, why the centigrade gauge?. I use a single Autometer Fahrenheit one on my engine and the GoPro reads it pretty clear. Not as good as recording but better than trying to remember. Good Luck.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline bbarn

« Reply #1178 on: December 28, 2015, 11:33:25 AM »
Not hijacking Ander's thread but rather elaborating on the use of the go-pro. It is excellent at giving us all a "ride" in/on someone else's project. It records just the facts. It handles the issue of recall and timing of the recall. (Did the oil pressure drop before or after you shifted? Was it between the 2 or the 3 mile mark? Was there any accompanying vibration? ...)

I am sure this video has made the rounds here before but a just in case it didn't...

GoPro/Replay (any of the little cameras) can be an excellent diagnostics tool as well. Shove them into the engine compartment with a flashlight zip-tied and gorilla taped and viola! you know what is happening. Check this video out. Who would have thought the tensioner did THAT much work?!?!
https://youtu.be/5NnMuyifPA4
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #1179 on: December 28, 2015, 02:55:28 PM »
Not hijacking Ander's thread but rather elaborating on the use of the go-pro. It is excellent at giving us all a "ride" in/on someone else's project. It records just the facts. It handles the issue of recall and timing of the recall. (Did the oil pressure drop before or after you shifted? Was it between the 2 or the 3 mile mark? Was there any accompanying vibration? ...)

I am sure this video has made the rounds here before but a just in case it didn't...

GoPro/Replay (any of the little cameras) can be an excellent diagnostics tool as well. Shove them into the engine compartment with a flashlight zip-tied and gorilla taped and viola! you know what is happening. Check this video out. Who would have thought the tensioner did THAT much work?!?!

Anybody who has owned a Corvair knows about fan belt tensioning devices . . . . . . . . .

Anybody ever put a timing light on a Cosworth BDD timing belt at peak Tq rpm?    Not for the faint of heart.    No youtube back then.

:cheers:
Fordboy

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1180 on: December 28, 2015, 03:19:20 PM »
Fordboy: Thank you very much, although I don´t plan anywhere near as much as you might think. Mostly I have some rough idea what I want to build and figure out the details along the way. :-)

Jimmy six: I live in Europe so I do things by the metric system. :-)

A friend of mine has figured out a way to get the compressor blade profile from the 3D scanned image, and a couple of nights ago I drew up a test piece from it and 3d printed it, the fit is very good so I am very satisfied. Now I can draw up the whole compressor cover and cast it in aluminum.

I sent some drawings for the turbine guide vane section (NGV or nozzle guide vanes) away for laser cutting, and today my friend Lars-E dropped by with the finished parts!

They came to use instantly, not as an NGV but as something to put the coffee pot on. :-)

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #1181 on: December 28, 2015, 09:20:40 PM »
OK got it... On You Tube search "  Car 49 El Mirage " on the run you an see the gauges ( OP and EGT) with Go Pro mounted on the front edge of the roll bar. You also see the dust I was talking about.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1182 on: December 30, 2015, 05:02:33 PM »

Holy moly, that was almost scary to watch! That tensioner earned its pay for sure. :-o

Today I cut the 18 nozzle guide vanes from 5mm thick SS2368, after some fine grinding in the laser cut grooves they fit lite a charm.

There is lots of work left before I can weld the NGV together, the bolt circle has to be drilled, shaft hole opened up, the vanes must be correctly profiled for good flow and the proper throat area etc.

I will build the engine from the front and backwards so these parts will have to wait for their turn, still good to have come this far on the NGV.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1183 on: January 14, 2016, 04:06:02 PM »
We´ve had our fair share of problems when it comes to gas turbine tachometers, despite oscilloscopes and complete drawings we´ve never managed to build a reliable tacho for our engines. Olov has been developing an Arduino based tacho on his spare time and last night we got the display to read a frequency from the oscilloscope.

At the same time I remembered that I have the Auber ASL-62 tachometer that I bought for an earlier tacho attempt with IR diodes, -"wait a second Olov, it can read the BorgWarner EFR sensor directly since it puts out a 5V signal!" :cheers:

I hooked the ASL-62 up with the BorgWarner sensor and tried to measure rpm on a spare compressor fitted in the lathe, no luck at all unfortunately. After some telephone consulting with Olov we figured it might need more revs to get the eddy current effect in the compressor wings going, so I fitted the sensor to the JU-01 engine and spun it up with compressed air. That did the trick! :-)

The sensor needed a couple of thousands of RPM on the compressor before it started registering the blades, I will double check the programming since I had to add a scaling factor to get the right RPM from the 14 bladed compressor. It seems about right though, 14-15.000 rpm on the air starter is what I would expect without any fuel helping the revs to climb.

https://youtu.be/MJeI03o1-vI

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1184 on: January 14, 2016, 07:48:35 PM »
I know, I know, a turbine's different, but still, c'mon, 14,000 rpm on just the starter motor just sounds wrong to the rest of us. :-o :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com