Author Topic: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build  (Read 932859 times)

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
Re: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build
« Reply #1020 on: September 06, 2015, 11:00:48 AM »
One Mile is over, I ran three times in total and the best run was 275.3km/h! :-)

Here is the video from yesterday, I haven´t had time to cut the video from today but I´ll post it as soon as it is finished along with a race report. Great fun despite the rain that ended yesterdays race! :-)

https://youtu.be/xu3TGETsufw

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline salt27

« Reply #1021 on: September 06, 2015, 11:37:10 AM »
My calculations put that at over 170 mph, WOW!
Well done Anders.   :cheers:

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1022 on: September 06, 2015, 11:49:55 AM »
Thanks! Not bad given the home brew fairings and "only" 150-160hp.  :-)

Here is todays run:

https://youtu.be/muTM7XjJjTQ

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #1023 on: September 06, 2015, 12:04:34 PM »
Good job Anders. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1024 on: September 06, 2015, 02:25:36 PM »
Thank you so much Glen!

It feels great to put the DIY turbine community on the map, a couple of years ago we were considered a bunch of goofballs who laughed all the time, made terrible noise in the pits and barely made it off the starting line. Now we are starting to be considered as pretty darn fast goofballs. *LOL*

Here are the official results from the weekend, todays run was a test run only so it didn´t register. Not bad at all to beat the Porsche turbo and GSXR1000 with a home built bike! :)

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1025 on: September 07, 2015, 01:48:28 AM »
Wow, that is a real good meet.  What is that thing on the lower right on the screen with the crosshairs and the red dot?

Offline RansomT

« Reply #1026 on: September 07, 2015, 10:34:56 AM »
Wow, that is a real good meet.  What is that thing on the lower right on the screen with the crosshairs and the red dot?

I believe that's G Force.  Contour HD GPS camera?

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #1027 on: September 07, 2015, 12:40:49 PM »
Congratulations Anders! What an amazing achievement to go so fast on a home-built turbine!
I love the sound of that engine as it goes by. Sounds like a jet plane.

Great videos too.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1028 on: September 07, 2015, 04:41:30 PM »
Exactly, it is a G force meter. I have a 5Hz GPS logger with me during the runs that one of my computer skilled friends analyze after every run, a very useful tool when making changes to the gearing, boost pressure and such.

Thank you very much Don, it sure sounds nice when viewed from a distance. I was glad that the safety crew allowed my friends to stand there and video tape the run, I´ve never been further away from the running bike than a meter or so I´ve never heard it that way. :-)

I´ve just started to disassemble the engine to check for damage, no signs of heat damage at all to the gas producer which is great. A few of the stator vanes in the power turbine section has cracked their welds so that needs to be fixed though. I´ll dig further into it and take some pics later.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1029 on: September 08, 2015, 03:47:40 PM »
I continued disassembling the engine tonight hoping to find any clue why the engine has been running so hot lately. Even if the 1000°C interstage temps were a local hot spot it still feels like something has happened.

The turbine wheel looks very nice, sharp wing tips so no signs of overheating! :)

The power turbine NGV looked a bit worse for wear, as I wrote yesterday five of the vane welds are cracked and one of the vanes was dangerously close to the C20 turbine wheel...

Some minor damage to the compressor inducer wings tells me that something has been sucked into the engine since the last time I took it apart, lets find out if there is more FOD deeper inside the engine shall we?

I didn´t have to dig far to find more damage, three of the diffusor wedges had their leading edges damaged like the one in the picture. This would surely upset the air flow and in the end cause some rise in exhaust temperature. How much I don´t know but most likely measurable.

The last picture for the day is the turbine wheel, oil leaking past the turbine shaft seal has stuck to the rear of the wheel and the shaft has some bluening from the lack of post run cooling. If I run the oil pump after a run a small leak from the freepower shaft cause a fire in the exhaust so I can´t cool it that way for any longer periods.

Cheers!
/Anders
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 03:49:46 PM by Mobacken Racing »

Offline tallguy

« Reply #1030 on: September 08, 2015, 06:52:32 PM »
Anders, what material is the power turbine (with the cracked welds) made of?

I think better welding (design and execution) would help extend the service life.

Thanks for sharing all the info and pictures.

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1031 on: September 09, 2015, 02:05:47 AM »
Anders, what material is the power turbine (with the cracked welds) made of?

I think better welding (design and execution) would help extend the service life.

Thanks for sharing all the info and pictures.

The vanes are made from regular 304 stainless. I totally agree that the welding could have been better, there is very little room for the tig torch but I´ll try to weld the whole lenght of the vanes before I assemble the engine again.

You are welcome!  :-)

Offline WhizzbangK.C.

• Ed Bennett, Speed Team Doo Kansas City fab shop.
« Reply #1032 on: September 09, 2015, 09:04:48 AM »
That looks to be a prime candidate for welding in a purge chamber. I've seen them made from sand blaster cabinets, or even from heavy gauge plastic inflated with argon. A little web searching will show a lot of options. Main benefits are you can really stick your electrode out to reach deep into a spot, and you are automatically back-purged all the time. Great for stainless, titanium, etc.
Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of.  Douglas Adams

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1033 on: September 09, 2015, 09:17:18 AM »
Good idea, I will really need to extend the electrode if I want to reach all the way in between the vanes.

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #1034 on: September 13, 2015, 12:45:11 AM »
I don't understand the "APS/[greek letter omega?]" in the thread title. :?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020