Author Topic: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build  (Read 932258 times)

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
Re: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build
« Reply #1005 on: June 28, 2015, 01:30:20 AM »
Is that steering damper from a 2012+ S1000rr?   The 2009-2011 dampers are kinda weak, non-adjustable.  I replaced mine with a 2012 and it was a difference between daylight and dark.

This one must be newer since it has an adjustable knob at the end of the damper rod.

Offline RansomT

« Reply #1006 on: June 28, 2015, 11:50:27 AM »
Is that steering damper from a 2012+ S1000rr?   The 2009-2011 dampers are kinda weak, non-adjustable.  I replaced mine with a 2012 and it was a difference between daylight and dark.

This one must be newer since it has an adjustable knob at the end of the damper rod.

Good, you will be happy then!   Just what you needed...

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1007 on: June 28, 2015, 04:44:53 PM »
There is a slight noise from the steering damper just like there is some air trapped inside it when pushing the front end hard from side to side, is that normal?

Offline RansomT

« Reply #1008 on: June 28, 2015, 08:26:38 PM »
There is a slight noise from the steering damper just like there is some air trapped inside it when pushing the front end hard from side to side, is that normal?

I don't remember that being case, however I can check it out when I get my BMW back.  I don't have my bike here right now, it's at the BMW shop for a fuel pump recall.  Should be ready next week.

A lot of road racers like replacing those stock pieces with high end ones, but the newer BMW pieces seem to work very well and are reliable.  I wouldn't suspect your damper being bad, not yet anyway.

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1009 on: June 29, 2015, 03:30:29 AM »

I don't remember that being case, however I can check it out when I get my BMW back.  I don't have my bike here right now, it's at the BMW shop for a fuel pump recall.  Should be ready next week.

A lot of road racers like replacing those stock pieces with high end ones, but the newer BMW pieces seem to work very well and are reliable.  I wouldn't suspect your damper being bad, not yet anyway.

Thanks, it is probably not a big deal since the function seems ok despite the noice.

My previous china damper piston had a slack of several millimeters when changing direction so it was practically useless, this one is very tight and smooth so I hope that the steering instability after hitting a bump at speed is gone now.

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1010 on: June 30, 2015, 05:12:46 PM »
I weighed the bike yesterday, 186kg dry isn´t bad at all considering the heavy cast iron gearbox and the car battery. :-)

I also spent a lunch break grinding and polishing the steering damper mount a bit, now it looks more presentable.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1011 on: July 31, 2015, 02:18:08 PM »
While waiting for the One Mile race in September I sent the rotary assembly for the upgraded engine I am about to build away for 3D-scanning.

This way I can get the wing profile directly in the CAD program and 3D-print a casting mold without having to find the radius by trial and error as I did with the engine I use now.

I got an email today with the scanning pics, the scans are done and post processing is under way.

Cheers!
/Anders :-)

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1012 on: August 31, 2015, 01:22:32 PM »
Adjusting the idle before the One Mile race in Färila, Sweden this weekend.

https://youtu.be/io0qcR0HATU

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #1013 on: August 31, 2015, 02:13:38 PM »
"Oh well, that's normal, too."   :cheers:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #1014 on: August 31, 2015, 02:19:18 PM »
I always enjoy your posts Anders. Your laid back attitude is a great example for others (me???).  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline sabat

« Reply #1015 on: August 31, 2015, 02:30:20 PM »
Good luck Anders, looking forward to your report after the event.  :cheers:  Dean

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #1016 on: August 31, 2015, 02:56:32 PM »
I'd worry about getting "hot roasted nuts" without the ice spray coming back.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1017 on: August 31, 2015, 03:10:31 PM »
4-barrel Mike: "Normal" is everything that doesen´t cause an immediate and total engine failure. :-)

Peter Jack: Thank you, I might sound relaxed but my heart is often pounding like a rabbits during hunting season when I test my engines... :-D

sabat: Thank you! I´ll make sure to get lots of video footage and I´ll stay off the saturday beer so I remember what to write in the race report.

Stan Back: The seat gets rather hot but I think I´ll be fine. I have a heat shield that keeps most of the radiant heat from the exhaust away from me.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #1018 on: August 31, 2015, 07:19:10 PM »
Very impressive :cheers: Hope you go fast :-D
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1019 on: September 01, 2015, 04:28:05 AM »
Very impressive :cheers: Hope you go fast :-D

Thanks, I hope so too! :-)