Author Topic: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build  (Read 932623 times)

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
Re: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build
« Reply #960 on: March 27, 2015, 11:46:04 AM »
I spent an hour today improving the flow around the starter bracket, a new and smaller solenoid bracket and some grinding made it look a bit less restrictive. :)

I also countersunk the M4 screws so the sleeve won´t hit the heads while retracted.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #961 on: March 31, 2015, 05:14:33 PM »
It was about time to get rid of the unreliable optical tachometer and try to make something a bit more solid, I´ve bought a Borg Warner eddy current sensor and tonight I fitted it to the engine.

My partner in crime Olov is developing an Arduino dashboard/data logger that the tacho sensor will plug into, I will also monitor a handful of pressures and temps in the engine and log everything for later evaluation. My first plan was to buy the Road Rage system but it can only handle four sensors and the seller seems very uninterested in helping me out so we decided to build our own, Olov will use one on the twinturbo jet kick as well.

Here you can see the hole where the sensor tip sits, it reads 14 pulses each turn of the compressor wheel in this location.

Now I am more or less finished with the engine modifications for this time, as soon as the batteries and motor controller for the starter arrives I can fit them to the bike and start assembling everything for a starter test.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #962 on: April 10, 2015, 10:32:27 AM »
I got the stuff I ordered from Hobbyking earlier this week.

I´ve made an aluminum box for the starter electronics and have started to fill it with parts.

You can see the Arduino cards and the motor controller fitted as well as a Neutrik Powercon bayonet plug that the battery pack will connect to the box with. My friend Olov has made an ECU for the starter so it will preheat and ramp the motor up to idling speeds automatically. Sweet! :)

For now I will keep the propane bottle and LiPo battery pack externally with quick fittings but later I will use a camping size propane bottle and fit everything to the bike. Then I won´t have to drag any equipment with me for starting the bike. Double sweet! :)

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #963 on: April 12, 2015, 04:20:19 PM »
Olov came by today for some brainstorming about the starter electronics, a pan of coffee and a cake does wonders to creativity. :)

I had made up a mental list of stuff that needed to be taken care of during the Speed Weekend race, moving the oil filter so my knee won´t hit it was one of the things.

To get rid of the external ignition box I fitted the ignition permanently to the bike, that way I can use the Neutrik contact for the battery charger so I won´t have to remove the tail fender to charge up the bike battery between runs.

Here you can see the ignition in its new place, I used one of my spare Triumph coils instead of the bulky high-power coil I used before. Plenty of spark anyway so it won´t have any trouble igniting the preheat propane.

Finally I drilled a hole in the air box and fitted a rubber "plutt" for the starter cables to come through, I´ve ordered a set of connections and a couple of meters of 8AWG silicone cable so when it arrives I can continue working on the starter system. Olov has some coding left to do as well but I am in no hurry at all. :-)

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #964 on: April 12, 2015, 10:52:33 PM »
incredible

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Mike in Tacoma

"aww, what the hell - let's just do it".............

Bike #833
100cc A/G, A/F and APS/G (in 2019)

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #965 on: April 30, 2015, 05:04:52 PM »
Thanks sofadriver! :-)

I have started to assemble the bike again, I will show it at the Custom Bike Show in Sweden (large bike meet) in the Landracing.se monter so I need to get the bike together and see that it will run after being apart. I´ll use the impingment air starting for now since I won´t have time to sort out the brushless starter in time.

There are some minor stuff I want to fix but it is mainly just a matter of putting everything back together, last night I made a new and longer oil line to get it out of the way for the left knee.

A couple of more evenings and the bike is ready to go, for instance I need to fit a better steering damper before riding the bike at speed again but I can still do a couple of engine starts at the show.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #966 on: April 30, 2015, 11:55:39 PM »
Anders, it is a good idea to make sure the Triumph coil housing does not touch any oil lines or other parts that can wear a hole in it.  The case is soft aluminum and it is not wear resistant. 

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #967 on: May 01, 2015, 12:55:43 AM »
Anders, it is a good idea to make sure the Triumph coil housing does not touch any oil lines or other parts that can wear a hole in it.  The case is soft aluminum and it is not wear resistant. 

A very good pointer, I´ll add some tape to the steel braided oil lines where they are close to the coil.

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #968 on: May 05, 2015, 02:44:37 PM »
The bike is ready for a final start before we take it to the Custom Bike Show the 6th of June.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #969 on: May 05, 2015, 04:06:25 PM »
Maybe lay down a cool-blue blanket too simulate the ice...................
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #970 on: May 05, 2015, 08:51:32 PM »
Good idea -- mimic the ice's color.  That's sorta what we did with the ZX12 "Icebreaker".
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #971 on: May 05, 2015, 10:04:01 PM »
  Jon, You need to get a like button on here.
    Doug
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Scottie J

• New To LSR But Not Going Fast
« Reply #972 on: May 06, 2015, 07:11:10 AM »
Anders - Such fantastic work you have done to this bike!  Just when I think the bike is almost finished, you start adding more, cooler, gadgets.  I hope to see this bike in person some day, it's way beyond what I could ever put together.  Keep up the awesome work!

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #973 on: May 06, 2015, 05:12:09 PM »
Maybe lay down a cool-blue blanket too simulate the ice...................

Actually Glenn Ocklund (the general of Landracing.se) has talked about towing blocks of ice to the monter, I am a bit sceptical because of the season but for him problems are meant to overcome.

I hope you guys get to meet him some day, I can´t praise him (and of course his crew) enough for arranging the Speed Weekend on Ice every year despite the hardships they´ve had some years with warm weather, water level regulated lakes etc etc. Hats off! :cheers:

Anders - Such fantastic work you have done to this bike!  Just when I think the bike is almost finished, you start adding more, cooler, gadgets.  I hope to see this bike in person some day, it's way beyond what I could ever put together.  Keep up the awesome work!

Thank you Scottie! A bike like this is never really finished, I am right now planning to build a more powerful engine in parallel with racing the bike with the engine I have now.

If you set your mind to it I am sure you would pull something like this off, it is just a matter of long term planning and determination. If you for example set a goal to break a land speed record 15 years from now you just need to figure out what the yearly progress should be to reach your goal.

Today it is all about "pay today, race tomorrow", spend a fortune on catalogue tuning parts, spend even more on having someone putting the parts together and hopefully you´ll be a champion 5 months from now. The joy of actually building the vehicle and learning something in the process is often lost.

Anyway, thanks! :)

On a side note my hobby project is slowly coming together, a Rolls Royce Viper jet engine that was missing some vital parts. I hope to have it running by the end of the summer. Should be fun. :)

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #974 on: May 12, 2015, 04:04:49 PM »
I ran the bike a couple of hours ago, everything went fine except that the relocated oil filter touched the fuel pump body and effectively grounding it causing the PWM controller to run the pump at full speed... :-)

Other than that it behaved as expected, the thread paste smoked a lot like it use to do before it has cured (burned away...) and the temps were a bit high as usually when the freepower is locked up.

https://youtu.be/SZGXkwiRi2w

Cheers!
/Anders