Author Topic: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build  (Read 932305 times)

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
Re: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build
« Reply #855 on: February 09, 2015, 03:49:14 PM »
This is a temporary thing for this race only, I will tow the bike in walking speed and the CrMo tubing used for the tow bar won´t snap so don´t worry. :-)

The idea with the trailer is very good, I will start planning for a simple race track trailer that can be folded and transported without taking up too much space on the "real" car trailer.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 03:53:47 PM by Mobacken Racing »

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #856 on: February 09, 2015, 07:15:43 PM »
Don't forget to mount a salt or dirt shield on the front of the trailer, you won't be sorry later.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 04:08:02 PM by Glen »
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #857 on: February 09, 2015, 07:22:03 PM »
last winter the trailer was lowered. Now I roll up without a ramp.
the rear axle is a half an inch off the ground clearance. The tongue has an inch and a half clearance.

what is basically three main pieces-  the axle which will slide into a receiver hitch, the rail with chock on it and the main frame with the tie downs welded on which hitch pins to the rear axle.
I used to break the trailer down to haul in the old enclosed trailer. Now the pit trailer nests in the new bigger trailer. The motorcycle travels on the pit trailer.
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #858 on: February 10, 2015, 03:38:16 PM »
Do forget to mount a salt or dirt shield on the front of the trailer, you won't be sorry later.

Roger that.

Exactly how do the salt behave when it is "raceable", is it sticky and smears to everything or is it more like moist beach sand? It it ever dry or do the clay beneath keep it wet all the time?

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #859 on: February 10, 2015, 03:49:19 PM »
last winter the trailer was lowered. Now I roll up without a ramp.
the rear axle is a half an inch off the ground clearance. The tongue has an inch and a half clearance.

what is basically three main pieces-  the axle which will slide into a receiver hitch, the rail with chock on it and the main frame with the tie downs welded on which hitch pins to the rear axle.
I used to break the trailer down to haul in the old enclosed trailer. Now the pit trailer nests in the new bigger trailer. The motorcycle travels on the pit trailer.

Thats a good thing that the track is very flat, with a high clearance I would have problems getting the bike on the trailer without the underhung tanks hitting the wheel axle.

I have a long way to go before I start planning for the Bonneville trip, I have lots of testing and tuning to do on the local tracks first so I will keep the tow accessories simple at first to get a feel of what I need. At the short test tracks around here there is no need for a trailer to get the bike back to the pits.

Offline bak189

« Reply #860 on: February 10, 2015, 06:54:44 PM »
If you race with BMST, you don't need a stinking trailer.....you can ride the bike back to the pit/starting line.....Not with SCTA/BNI........they won't let you ride the bike back....the "good old boys" claim it is not safe.......It is OK. to ride the bike on the track....but not safe to ride it on the return road....................
Funny rules...
Question authority.....always

Offline salt27

« Reply #861 on: February 10, 2015, 07:15:27 PM »
Exactly how do the salt behave when it is "raceable", is it sticky and smears to everything or is it more like moist beach sand? It it ever dry or do the clay beneath keep it wet all the time?

Short answer is YES. Better answer is, it can be hard and not much accumulation (haven't seen that in a while) or wet and very sticky with lots of accumulation and any where in between the two.

Not only does it change by the day but sometimes by the hour.

During 2011 Speedweek a storm came through and dumped enough rain to flood a good portion of the flats in the evening and by 7am the next morning we were running again (albeit not ideal).

As far as trailer ground clearance is concerned, I like to have at least 6" of clearance incase I hit a pothole.

Don

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #862 on: February 10, 2015, 09:29:17 PM »
It is real entertaining when the track conditions change along its length with soft and sticky spots among hard and dry ones.  It does not happen very often.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #863 on: February 11, 2015, 06:10:30 PM »
Bob --

Let it go.

The SCTA does not let "vehicles" ride/drive back.  I'd agree that most bikes could be ridden back without incident.  But a streamlined bike with limited vision would be a problem, right?

So just make the rule that no vehicles (cars and bikes) are to be driven back {or write another rule that "must have 45º(?) of frontal vision measured at the Cowl (see Rule Book for Cowl definition)" or something}.  (Boy, that was an exercise in punctuation -- did I get it right?)

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #864 on: February 12, 2015, 05:34:13 PM »
I guess there are similar problems with both ice and salt tracks, if I were rich I would build a full length course in 50cm thick concrete and invite you all to race for free. :-)

I thought I had fixed the scuba compressor, but the next test produced only 120bar and a closer inspection showed that the high pressure piston is worn out. Dodge! :-(

Lucky for me I have lots of good friends who will help a guy in dire need, Rickard told me to come over and fill the tanks on his diving compressor so now I have two 15 liter tanks filled to 230bar, plenty of air for several starts! He will also fill a large Argon bottle I have before the race so there won´t be a lack of starting air for sure.

When I got back home I made a pair of stainless end caps for the foot pegs, I also wrapped the pegs with rubber tape to get some extra grip for the boots.

After that I cleaned up the bike, tested the ignition and oil system and charged the battery for the upcoming start. I ran the oil system at full pressure with the drain plug removed to see if there was any oil leaking past the shaft seals but not a single drop came out so I am very pleased. During the first couple of bench tests of the engine it must have leaked a pint of oil for every test run...

Not much at all left to do now before the race, an intake shield that keeps ice thrown from the front wheel from entering the engine, some stickers and other minor stuff to do. The weather looks pretty promising right now with sub zero degrees every night at the race track for the next two weeks, this will hopefully be a very fun race weekend!

Cheers!
/Anders
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 05:37:32 PM by Mobacken Racing »

Offline tauruck

« Reply #865 on: February 12, 2015, 08:43:15 PM »
Nice Anders. :cheers:

Have a blast.

Is the ice good enough to skate on?.

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #866 on: February 12, 2015, 11:17:37 PM »

Is the ice good enough to skate on?.

Maybe until his tires get on it :-D
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #867 on: February 13, 2015, 01:16:58 AM »
The ice is usually very flat, they use to drill holes in the ice to let the water up and freeze so the track is often flat as a mirror. Before the race that is, once the spiked tyres start tearing it apart it gets pretty rough at the first section of the track.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #868 on: February 13, 2015, 01:22:56 AM »
I was thinking maybe the pit crew could be on skates. :-D

Maybe you could use a Zamboni between runs?????. :cheers:

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #869 on: February 13, 2015, 09:17:23 PM »
Zamboni? You have Hockey in SA?
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20