Author Topic: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build  (Read 932370 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build
« Reply #825 on: January 21, 2015, 01:57:45 PM »
Any white vehicle is difficult to see. Having been in the timing trailer for many years even a vehicle with a red stripe are hard to see,in many cases we don't see them until they pass in front of timing.Even the emergency equipment has trouble finding them .
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #826 on: January 22, 2015, 05:03:39 AM »
Lsrjunkie, wobblywalrus, Stan Back & Glen: That is a very valid point about the contrasting color. There is nothing in the Swedish LSR regulations that prohibits white so until they change or I start to get the bike ready for a trip overseas I will keep it this color.

Where is the line drawn for a contrasting color by the way? If the bike is white with a black frame and lots of coloured stickers on the rear fender, would it still count as white or would the whole bike need to be painted in a dark color to pass inspection?

Sofadriver & Rex Schimmer: I really have no idea, this will be my first experience with spiked tyres on a motorcycle. A local guy has ridden a turbocharged hayabusa at 300km/h with tyres build this way so I am fairly confident that the spikes will stay where they are and not break free.

Crackerman: The guy who built them told me to leave at least 25mm clearance to the fairings for tyre expansion at speed.

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #827 on: January 25, 2015, 05:21:44 PM »
It is actually possible to print other items than male reproductive organs on the 3D printer, the last couple of days I´ve been printing all sorts of useful stuff on it.

Amongst other things I have made a slim case and some practical mounts for my Gopro cameras, the idea with this mount is to rivet it to the rear fairing so I can aim a camera backwards, this will both produce a fun camera angle and help me see if there is any signs of oil smoke in the jet exhaust.

Today my oldest daughter wanted to help me out with the bike so we spent an hour in the workshop and got some work done, to make some sort of ice chunk shield for the front fairing air intake Ella salvaged the metal grille from a disposable BBQ while I was drilling the holes for the rear fairing mounts.

I cut the grille to shape so Ella could spray paint it black, really fun to be able to do stuff like this with the kids and especially when they are the ones who want to do it. :-)

Here the rear fairing is in place, first I considered DZUS locks but since the fairings need a bit of juggling to get in place I decided that M6 bolts are much more thrustworthy. The main power switch is easy to maneuver and not in the way of anything in this location.

I´ll fit larger washers later so the fairing won´t crack around the holes. (there is a long strip of metal riveted along the inside of the fairing edge so the four M6 bolts are enough to secure the whole fairing)

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #828 on: January 25, 2015, 05:47:06 PM »

One thing I didn't mention is the timing trailer is 800 to 1000 feet from the course, so it's about 1/4 of a mile before we can see such vehicle. The color matters .        link=topic=12527.msg268678#msg268678 date=1421921019]

Lsrjunkie, wobblywalrus, Stan Back & Glen: That is a very valid point about the contrasting color. There is nothing in the Swedish LSR regulations that prohibits white so until they change or I start to get the bike ready for a trip overseas I will keep it this color.

Where is the line drawn for a contrasting color by the way? If the bike is white with a black frame and lots of coloured stickers on the rear fender, would it still count as white or would the whole bike need to be painted in a dark color to pass inspection?

Sofadriver & Rex Schimmer: I really have no idea, this will be my first experience with spiked tyres on a motorcycle. A local guy has ridden a turbocharged hayabusa at 300km/h with tyres build this way so I am fairly confident that the spikes will stay where they are and not break free.

Crackerman: The guy who built them told me to leave at least 25mm clearance to the fairings for tyre expansion at speed.
[/quote]
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #829 on: January 26, 2015, 03:02:11 PM »
One thing I didn't mention is the timing trailer is 800 to 1000 feet from the course, so it's about 1/4 of a mile before we can see such vehicle. The color matters .

Copy that! :-)

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #830 on: January 26, 2015, 11:54:22 PM »
Almost 30 years ago the highway department stationed me in Bend, Oregon.  It is cold there.  Rose had the truck so I put Trelleborg military knobbies on an Xt-500 Yamaha so I could get to work and back. I had no money for another truck.  The 'borgs are spiked tires.  The setup worked good.  I shot out of the heated garage, climbed over the berm along the road edge made by the snowplow, and rode to work.  My shortcut was riding on the ice on a frozen stream.  It too a few minutes more to use this route but it was worth it.

The bike will handle differently with the spikes.  Take it easy for the first few runs so you get used to them.  They are not bad.  In fact, the bike should handle very good. 

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #831 on: January 27, 2015, 03:45:02 AM »
I haven´t heard anything negative from the guys I know who run spiked tyres, all they say is that the grip is insane with these kind of spikes. Another plus is that I will only go in s straight line and not around any corners at speed so I think I will be fine. :-)

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #832 on: February 02, 2015, 04:56:08 PM »
To be able to quickly put out any fire after a run I decided to make a compact CO2 extinguisher that I can fit to the bike, a Soda Streamer bottle was perfect for this.

I managed to find a guy who sells adapters for the special bottle neck thread and a ball valve on top of that makes a very compact fire extinguisher, powder is not an option since it would make a total mess inside the engine.

During the dinner coffee I drew a CO2 bottle mount in the 3D CAD program Inventor and then the printer had a couple of hours of work to do while I did the dishes and played around with the girls.

Here are the two finished mounts, I used a slightly rough setting to cut some printing time since the surface finish didn´t have to be perfect.

With the mounts done I could go out to the workshop to see if they would fit the bike, and that they did.

Not bad at all! A pair of zip ties secures the mounts to the frame tube and a lenght of vinyl tape around the bottle and frame tube will make sure the CO2 bottle won´t come off by accident.

I am very pleased with the result, this would have taken me the whole evening if I had milled them from a solid block of plastic and now I spent perhaps half an hour making the drawing and setting the printer up. Sweet! :-)

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #833 on: February 02, 2015, 09:27:43 PM »
First a home made jet engine...now a 3-D printer. Wow, what's next, Anders?

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #834 on: February 02, 2015, 09:39:18 PM »
Anders, you obviously have a better equipped shop than most of us  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #835 on: February 02, 2015, 11:51:37 PM »
Very cool Anders.
How strong are the printed parts?
Mike in Tacoma

"aww, what the hell - let's just do it".............

Bike #833
100cc A/G, A/F and APS/G (in 2019)

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #836 on: February 03, 2015, 12:02:07 AM »
The PLA plastic is hard but a bit brittle compared to ABS, but it would take a lot more force to break the PLA mounts than they will ever see in this application.

I won the printer in the Boca Bearings competition I wrote about in October, it is very easy to use and will save me countless hours of manual labour on the mill and lathe since I can produce green sand casting patterns with it.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #837 on: February 03, 2015, 12:24:07 AM »
Not only was the prize deserved, but it's really neat to see it being put to great use. Congratulations Anders!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #838 on: February 03, 2015, 01:29:03 AM »
Not only was the prize deserved, but it's really neat to see it being put to great use.

Pete, did you miss the part where Anders said "It is actually possible to print other items than male reproductive organs on the 3D printer" ? Obviously some things are better left unseen!

:-D :-D :-D
Mike in Tacoma

"aww, what the hell - let's just do it".............

Bike #833
100cc A/G, A/F and APS/G (in 2019)

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #839 on: February 03, 2015, 05:37:27 AM »
Tom Evans told me a story about a rider that had got some new white leathers made for him to run at Bonneville
this was also before engine shutoff lanyards were required on motorcycles

Anyhow, our intrepid motorcyclist set off down the course
and due to some sort of speed wobble, he was ejected from his motorcycle
as there was no engine shutoff lanyard, the bike, having ejected the rider
sorted out it's speed wobble and headed off in to the distance, rider less
the course crew, seeing the motorcycle head into the distance called "course clear"
As the rider was lying on the lake, he heard the sound of a car headed his way.
Fortunately, it was a roadster. It span, to the right
The motorcyclist was able to stagger from the course, in his white leathers
to ride another day.
According to Tom, this prompted at least three new rules

it was certainly more entertaining how Tom told it to me, but you get the idea
G

Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm