Author Topic: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build  (Read 932293 times)

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
Re: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build
« Reply #810 on: January 17, 2015, 04:48:23 PM »
Lately I´ve been busy doing lots of non-turbine related stuff, but today I actually got some work done in the workshop! :)

I had to make a temporary front fender to keep bits of the ice track from entering the air intake, so I borrowed my Triumph bobber fender and made some new brackets for it. The front bracket looks a bit weak from the picture but it is sturdier than it looks so I think it will do for a 200km/h run. Can´t go any faster with spiked tyres and 150hp.

With the fender paint drying I made new brackets for the brake fluid containers, earlier I used zip ties but that was not exactly practical.

Just when I had finished that my friend who would paint the fairings called and told me that they were ready so I jumped in the car and picked them up. My very crappy pre-paint job shines through but it is a race bike so as long as it looks good at 200mph I am satisfied. :)

Cheers!
/Anders
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 04:51:11 PM by Mobacken Racing »

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #811 on: January 17, 2015, 09:29:22 PM »
That color looks like Polar White.

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #812 on: January 18, 2015, 03:51:56 AM »
There is a tad more yellow in the white than the picture suggests, somewhere towards cream white. It´ll hopefully look great against the black frame.  :-)

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #813 on: January 18, 2015, 03:14:07 PM »
Today my good friend Olle came by to help me fit the spiked tyres, he is in the middle of fitting a pair of Roots compressors to his Rolls Royce Meteor V12 equipped tractor puller so I am glad that he could find the time to help out.

Olle has learned the hard way that it can and most often will hurt to fit spiked tyres, this is a picture from 2013 years Speed Weekend when he and a couple of equally piss drunk guys tried to replace a blown tyre on his turbo motorcycle in the middle of the night. When they were finished they had lots of holes in them and it was blood all over the place... :-)

It went really well actually, with spiked tyres you need an inner hose (correct name?) to keep the air in and it is very easy to make a hole in it with the tyre irons.

My daughter Agnes decided to help out by dropping the washers for the front fairing down the workshop floor drain. :-D

Before we changed the front tyre we fitted new ceramic wheel bearings.

With the wheels in place again I could fit the fairings to check of the clearance to the spikes would be enough, at least 3cm all over so I am satisfied. :-)

The color is towards cream white and I think it suits the black frame nicely, I´ll try to get the wheels and the aluminum tanks painted in the same color this summer.

Enough clearance for both the spikes and the front fender, perfect!

With Olle as camera man I got some shots on the bike with me on it, it will be a bit tighter with the helmet and the leathers on but still plenty of space for legs and arms.

Not easy to get the head down and still see where I am heading... :-)

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #814 on: January 18, 2015, 03:26:46 PM »
Great progress Anders. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline tauruck

« Reply #815 on: January 18, 2015, 11:52:40 PM »
You've done a great job on your build Anders.

Thanks for all the posts. :cheers:

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #816 on: January 19, 2015, 02:59:36 AM »
Thanks! :-)

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #817 on: January 19, 2015, 10:51:37 AM »
Excellent work. I really dig the paint. Contrasts the frame nicely.

:cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #818 on: January 19, 2015, 11:09:00 AM »
Agnes is a cutie. It's nice to have help in the shop.  :-D

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #819 on: January 19, 2015, 09:52:49 PM »
That tire changing party looks like it was fun.  Here in Oregon it gets cold during the off season when we change out the tires.  The tire is put near the wood stove so it gets nice and warm, then one bead is put on and the tube inserted.  Next, the wheel is put back near the stove to reheat.  Then the last bead is fitted.  Tires, like other things, are easier to mount when hot. 

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #820 on: January 19, 2015, 10:32:12 PM »
That tire changing party looks like it was fun.  

Yeah, nothin' says "fun" like frozen, bloody fingers.  :roll:

Anders, there must be some weirdness to riding on spiked tires. What's it like?
Mike in Tacoma

"aww, what the hell - let's just do it".............

Bike #833
100cc A/G, A/F and APS/G (in 2019)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #821 on: January 20, 2015, 02:33:43 PM »
Anders,
Those tire are "frightening"!!!! Hard to even imagine that the spike will stay in the tire at 150 mph.

A note on mounting tires to avoid pinching the inner tube.
Never ever pull the tire iron over a 90 degree angle to the wheel. Pull it to 90 deg and then push the tire on with your boot. Once you have pulled the tire iron over 90 deg you will catch the inner tube and press it against the wheel and most likely put a hole in it. Also move the tire irons around the wheel in small increments, no big bites. I like to spit on the tire irons to add some lube but a quick dip in some oil works also.

Nice progress, can't wait till you run this beast!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Crackerman

« Reply #822 on: January 20, 2015, 05:01:00 PM »
How much will that tire grow at speed with all that hardware in it? It looks mean!!!

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #823 on: January 21, 2015, 01:05:29 AM »
Anders, check your rule book.  Some organizations want contrasting colors on white bikes.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #824 on: January 21, 2015, 12:26:04 PM »
Black tires and frames and roll cages, etc., count on that rule written for both cars and bikes.  The SCTA rules were, I believe, intended for small, streamlined and enclosed vehicles.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records