Author Topic: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build  (Read 932655 times)

Offline lsrjunkie

Re: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build
« Reply #705 on: October 27, 2014, 11:02:22 AM »
I'm with Glen. Excellent work as usual Anders.  :cheers:
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #706 on: October 29, 2014, 06:33:41 PM »
Thanks! :-)

Yesterday I got a package with the mail from a guy called Flu at a Swedish motorcycle forum I am active at, four Fluke thermocouples with weld bungs!

Today I started assembling the engine again, since you have seen pics from it a hundred times before I didn´t bother to take so many pics. Here is one where I have just torqued the compressor nut.

I gave the compressor a new white dot that the tachometer is aimed at, earlier I painted it with the engine in the frame but now I could do it a bit better with a slightly sanded surface for the paint to stick to properly.

I also gave the rear fairing plug another layer of filler before I called it a night. On a side note I made a mount for my aftermarket starter for my Rolls Royce Viper.

A better view:

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #707 on: October 29, 2014, 07:46:12 PM »
Anders, since you obviously know bunches about jet engines -- will you tell me why most, if not all, of the jet airplanes I see at airports have a little curly design painted on the pointy nose of the engine?  It's about one thread of a screw design.  I've always assumed that it is there to alert anyone walking by that the engine is spinning, but I also would think that it's be difficult to miss the fact the a jet is running only a few feet from the walker.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #708 on: October 30, 2014, 12:49:45 AM »
Hmm, I can only guess that it is just to alert guys working there with their hearing protection on. Or maybe some kind of hypnotic trick to fool the Canada gooses into not flying into the engine? :-)

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #709 on: October 30, 2014, 09:59:13 AM »
Slim,

I think that marking is a "G", for GE.

Most ground crews know better than to walk in front of a running engine, the dumb one don't last long. :-D

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #710 on: October 30, 2014, 10:54:33 AM »
Keep guessing, gents.  It goes at least one full circumference (well, save that it does not connect end-to-end), and that'd make for a really strange "G".  I figger that it might be for the manufacturer of the engine, but I don't think GE has that much of a lock on the market that so few RR and PW and whatever else there is -- show up where we've flown.  Maybe I'll have to go searching.  Let me finish this sandwich, though -- then I'll look.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #711 on: October 30, 2014, 12:46:59 PM »
When there are three other jet engines running nearby and you have on your ear protection, it is easier than you might imagine to not notice that the one you're walking in front of is running. Those spirals are good dynamic indicators of a spinning jet engine.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline redhotracing

« Reply #712 on: October 30, 2014, 03:09:49 PM »
Neil is spot on with that one... back in my USN days, you'd have 20+ turning (aka running) aircraft
on the flight deck at once... It's very difficult to know which is doing what, so just like a gun being
loaded, you assume that every one of them is at full military. Makes for a safer deck.
Luke- Winston Salem, NC
Loring 2 Club- 201.252 (2010)
Ohio 2 Club- 203.712 (2013)

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #713 on: October 30, 2014, 05:31:04 PM »
The GE has  the "G" where as the RR has a "Time spiral" kind of like Twilight Zone spiral. I'm not sure what P&W has on theirs, it looks like a tear drop, maybe its a wing, big at the center point of the spinner and tappers to a point as it get further from the center .

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #714 on: October 30, 2014, 06:59:55 PM »
I guess I've seen lots of Rolls engines.  Thanks, gentlemen. :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline redhotracing

« Reply #715 on: October 30, 2014, 07:55:00 PM »
I'm not sure what P&W has on theirs, it looks like a tear drop, maybe its a wing, big at the center point of the spinner and tappers to a point as it get further from the center .

Rouse

Our EA6B's used P & W J52/P408(A)'s, even on the military stuff there was a slight teardrop on the turbine nose.

Luke- Winston Salem, NC
Loring 2 Club- 201.252 (2010)
Ohio 2 Club- 203.712 (2013)

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #716 on: November 03, 2014, 02:35:45 PM »
The engine is back together and next up is to modify the gearbox for oil jet lubrication.

By the way, it is the final month of the Boca Bearing competition and all votes are reset. The two youtube-celebrities with one million followers or so have won one month each so now it is a golden opportunity for me to glide in there and pick the last ticket to the final!

Pleeeeeease my dear friends, can you find in your hearts to vote on me again? Keep harassing your neighbors and relatives until they vote as well. Those of you with Facebook know what to do! :-)

http://www.bocabearings.com/innovation-contest/ContestantDetails.aspx?ProjectID=137

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #717 on: November 03, 2014, 04:02:01 PM »
Looks fast! Great to see it move under turbine power. I got a little quezzy when you first fired it up with saddles, shorts and no shirt on!!

Congrats!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #718 on: November 03, 2014, 04:07:28 PM »
Looks fast! Great to see it move under turbine power. I got a little quezzy when you first fired it up with saddles, shorts and no shirt on!!

Congrats!

Rex

Thank you Rex!

I´ve been around home built gas turbines for 12 years now so I guess I am getting a bit careless with the personal safety equipment, but the only thing I am worried about is a burst turbine wheel and a shirt and a pair of long pants won´t help if that happens...

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #719 on: November 03, 2014, 04:09:27 PM »
I put my vote in an hour ago and there are three times the number of votes in now. It looks like you're getting a response Anders. Good luck!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete