Author Topic: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build  (Read 932716 times)

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
Re: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build
« Reply #525 on: May 31, 2014, 07:03:18 AM »
Ha, if you think written Swedish is jibberish wait until you hear it spoken. Being a native Swede it is difficult to hear what is sounds like but I assume that the Muppet show pictured us pretty spot on. :-D

Offline bbarn

Re: Re: Re: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build
« Reply #526 on: May 31, 2014, 07:46:33 AM »
Ha, if you think written Swedish is jibberish wait until you hear it spoken. Being a native Swede it is difficult to hear what is sounds like but I assume that the Muppet show pictured us pretty spot on. :-D

Ha! I love the Swedish Chef. Robot Chicken did a funny skit with him too.
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline gidge348

« Reply #527 on: May 31, 2014, 09:34:25 AM »

Hey Anders found a video of you on your bike at about 16 seconds into this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bHv6Zz1bNg

Cheers...Ian
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 09:37:09 AM by gidge348 »

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #528 on: June 01, 2014, 02:25:06 AM »
Ian, :cheers: that was funny :cheers:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #529 on: June 01, 2014, 04:24:08 PM »
Last night I started working on the pile of stuff to do before the bike is ready to go for a ride, the job on top of that pile happened to be the dashboard.

The uppermost contact is a Neutrik contact for an external ignition, it has four leads so I can route 12V from the bike to the ignition module in two of them and use the other pair for the spark. Below it is a spring loaded button for the propane preheat solenoid, then you see the fuel pump switch and the switch for all three oil pumps with a safely cap so I don´t accidentally turn the pumps off.

Both fuel pump and the oil pumps will get their juice through separate 30A relays to avoid a switch failure like last time.

With that done I fitted the PWM-module to the air box.

Up next was the power turbine rev counter, the idea was to fit a magnet to the gearbox output shaft where the front sprocket is and have a inductive probe read the revs from it.

Here a neodymium magnet is fitted, now I need a bracket for the probe.

That´ll do! :-)

Probe fitted and eagerly awaiting some revs to measure!

Of course I had to fit the actual rev counter somewhere as well, I was about to make a fancy box for it but figured nahhhh and used a cat-strangler (local name for zip-ties) instead. Eventually I need to shield it from salt and water so I´ll probably make some sort of box for it later.

The clock showed well past midnight so before calling it a night I fitted a row of relays to the back of the seat, that was the only place where I could fit them and have the bundle of cables below them out of the way.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #530 on: June 01, 2014, 04:38:25 PM »
AS always well thought out and clean installations.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #531 on: June 01, 2014, 04:52:31 PM »
AS always well thought out and clean installations.

Thank you Glen, there is another dimension to it that can´t be clearly seen in the pics and that is trying to fit everything so I can disassemble the bike without having to completely strip everything from the air box etc.

Easier said than done I can assure you but as it stands now it looks like I can remove the engine, take it apart to fit a new rotor, assemble it and put it back in the bike in one night, that might come useful in case the engine ingests something from the track and wrecks the compressor wheel. If it takes longer I will lose a day of racing and that is not good at all.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline RansomT

« Reply #532 on: June 01, 2014, 05:41:57 PM »
If there is any vibrations at all, I would put isolators on the electronic boxes.

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #533 on: June 01, 2014, 11:58:45 PM »
Other than the vibrations caused by the road surface there should be none at all, if so I have some serious engine problems.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #534 on: June 02, 2014, 01:04:32 AM »
That is a nice shop.  Very good lighting.

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #535 on: June 02, 2014, 01:19:12 PM »
I use a couple of portable lights to get plenty of light on the bike or whatever I am working with at the moment, you can never get enough light in the workshop.  :-)

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #536 on: June 04, 2014, 06:24:01 PM »
I fitted the propane preheat and air start connections to the bike today.

Fits like a charm, now I can start the bike myself sitting on it instead of needing four arms to reach switches and levers all over the bike like last time... :-)

I also routed the bleed air line from the engine casing to the oil dribbler and onward to the gearbox, I use clear hose now just to see if I have any internal oil leaks in the gas producer but later I will use a more heat resistant hose.

Here you can see that I added a 30A relay to run the return pumps separately instead of together, in case one fails I have one left that should keep the engine from flooding until I can turn it off.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #537 on: June 04, 2014, 06:31:55 PM »
I am assuming that the battery will have a box over it. What type of hold downs do you have planed for the battery? keep up the good planing and fabrication. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #538 on: June 05, 2014, 05:02:02 AM »
I will make a sheet metal box around the battery and make some sort of metal lid or strap to secure it with, I haven´t really given it much thought yet since the idea up until a couple of weeks ago was to have the battery laying down. That didn´t work out though since I needed to free up some space for the oil dribbler. Some sort of heat shielding underneath the battery will also be needed so I don´t cook it from the radiant heat coming from the engine exhaust.

The Bonneville inspection check list states that metal straps are needed so no fabric or anything like that will be used.

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #539 on: June 05, 2014, 08:11:04 AM »
   Speaking of heat shielding, what are you using to protect your cajones? Maybe some tile from a used space shuttle.
  Doug  :evil: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]