Author Topic: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build  (Read 932595 times)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build
« Reply #180 on: July 22, 2013, 05:25:35 PM »
Well, there is always Thelonius Monk.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMmeNsmQaFw

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #181 on: July 24, 2013, 05:10:35 PM »
I think I´ll stick to my thrash metal, but thanks for the link! :-)

Here are the pics from last nights work, I modified the rear axle blocks to hold an M8 bolt for chain adjustment.

A pair of steel plates were made to fit the frame and complete the adjuster, I will weld them fully later when the frame is stripped and back in the frame jig.

Another mini project is to make the battery box, I will continue with that next time I go to the workshop.

Finally I removed the masking tape from the windshield, apparently the tape can get stuck if it is left on too long and it did leave some marks that I will have to remove with some solvent that doesen´t damage the plastic windshield.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #182 on: July 24, 2013, 05:19:49 PM »
Anders;

You are welcome to the thrash metal; it's not for me.

I have successfully removed old tape adhesive residue from Plexiglass with denatured alcohol. This is ethyl alcohol with a few little additives that make it unfit to drink. I've never tried methanol. That is a nice windshield!

Offline maj

« Reply #183 on: July 24, 2013, 07:20:55 PM »
natural oils remove the residue without any risk of damaging screens or paint  , locally we use eucalyptus oil , but when traveling could only find peppermint which also worked well
at a pinch crc also does the job

Offline RansomT

« Reply #184 on: July 24, 2013, 07:56:09 PM »
Well, there is always Thelonius Monk.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMmeNsmQaFw

I find Monk not all that strange, but I do have difficultly listening to later Coltrane (post Miles)....too many repeated strange measures for my taste.

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #185 on: July 25, 2013, 01:18:10 AM »
Lots of blues and Kris Kristofferson as well so I am no pure metalhead, it sort of follows the mood.

Thanks for the advice about the tape removal, I will try on a corner of the screen first to see if it miscolours the plastic or not.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #186 on: July 25, 2013, 06:32:45 AM »
Here's a complete off-topic hijack -- but still might have some value for taking off adhesives:

We now and then use flypaper strips to catch the pests both at home, in sunny windows, and even at Bonneville.  A few years ago during the Shootout the flies were amazing -- many of 'em and they'd bite!  We had flystrips hanging from the rear view mirror in the truck.  But it was inevitable that I'd brush against the sticky strip when reaching for the phone or something - and the goo on the strip is dang near impossible to remove.  But then - I found some information online telling me that using vegetable oil - canola or peanut or one of those oils - - is a fine way to make the sticky goo let goo and come off the skin.  I'd even tried gasoline and strong soaps and scouring powders -- nope, they didn't.  The vegetable oil removes the adhesive (it's a resin) and isn't very noxious, either.

Will veggie oil work on the windscreen?  Maybe give it a try.  It should be pretty benign to the plastic.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #187 on: July 25, 2013, 11:13:45 AM »
I'm rolling on the floor :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Only a true U.P.-er would resort to flypaper.........the civilized parts of North America use toilet-paper and an occasional shower or bath to keep the flies away :wink:

And the next most obvious answer regarding veggie-oils will come from someone down under. :lol: :lol: :lol: 
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #188 on: July 25, 2013, 03:59:00 PM »
I have also used those spray cans of cooking oil (olive oil in my case) to soften the adhesive on old dried paper labels. Just spray it on let it soak for a while then peel or scrape off the label. A squirt of naptha lighter fluid also works well but on a plastic wind screen I would test that on some scrap first.

(I have picked up one of those electronic fly zapper swatters for this year ;)   )

Offline MattGuzzetta

« Reply #189 on: July 26, 2013, 12:15:22 AM »
Great build, I have been watching since you started!  If you are having difficulty with the tape adhesive, I recommend Naptha if you can find it.  It is a solvent that is available at most paint stores and home improvement stores as well.  It is a natural solvent for most rubber type glues and does not affect most substrates.  Of course test it on a scrap, but I have been using it for some years and it is the cleanest method of removing tape residue or labels on plastic containers.
Good luck, can't wait to see how this project works! :-D

Matt Guzzetta

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #190 on: July 26, 2013, 09:00:47 AM »
I find listening to blues is best for me-Muddy Waters, B.B. King, Robert Johnson, and of course, Eric Clapton and Stevie Ray Vaughn! :-D
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #191 on: July 26, 2013, 01:10:26 PM »
I find listening to blues is best for me-Muddy Waters, B.B. King, Robert Johnson, and of course, Eric Clapton and Stevie Ray Vaughn! :-D

Great taste! I listen a lot to Albert Collins and RL Burnside, and Neil Young has been played countless hours in the workshop. :-)

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #192 on: July 26, 2013, 06:19:31 PM »
I knew you had to have some good taste, to build a bike this cool! LOL! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #193 on: July 26, 2013, 09:10:01 PM »
A brief further excursion into music for the shop - or house:  We're fortunate to have unlimited data allowance on our internet service - so we listen pretty much exclusively to internet radio stations.  Right now we're hearing SKY.FM -- a pretty good blues "station".  Aardvark blues isn't bad, either, but is a bit repetitive week in and week out.  For more "rock"-like music Atlantic Sound Factory is pretty good.

Classical is my favorite, and Classical Minnesota Public Radio wins in that category, with (sorta surprisingly) Wyoming Public radio coming a strong second.

Back to Anders' bike.  If we want to discuss music sources I guess I'll have to (or one of you should) start a music thread.  Keep it simple so Dan Warner doesn't curse us for straying so far from land speed racing, of course. :roll: :evil:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #194 on: July 26, 2013, 09:12:21 PM »

Old country blues is my taste-- Big Bill Broonzy, Leadbelly, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Blind Blake, Sonny Terry & Brownie McGee, etc. Like in "country music" the earlier stuff appeals to me-- Hank Williams, Jimmy Rodgers, etc. Everyone's tastes are different. Then there is flamenco...

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ