Author Topic: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build  (Read 932373 times)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build
« Reply #990 on: June 09, 2015, 11:54:45 AM »
It would be interesting to see that pulse jet bike run there but it might attract attention from the MOD.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #991 on: June 09, 2015, 01:17:43 PM »
The beauty of the sands Neil is that the MOD have to be on 'days off' before they licence use of the bulk of the beach. So as they will not be there the organisers might consider a pulse jet entrant. Not sure how the Welsh community will react ........ :-o
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #992 on: June 09, 2015, 02:40:48 PM »
I was referring to the incredibly loud exhaust noise, Malcolm.

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #993 on: June 09, 2015, 04:16:39 PM »
Jet Reaction on afterburner was hosted at the last meeting on the sands and that was quite loud. I am sure the Mobacken Team might find something noisier to run - how about multiple entries Anders?

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #994 on: June 09, 2015, 05:20:54 PM »
Thank you Malcolm for clearing this out for me, I am looking forward to making a road trip to one of the landspeed events mentioned. I´ll send an email to Straightliners and ask for a set of rules and regulations for the class I will be running in.

In September there will be a one mile race on tarmac here in Sweden so after that I will have an idea how fast it can go. Is there any way of estimating the speeds that can be reached on the sands if you know what a vehicle is capable of on a paved surface, or will the dampness and texture of the sand on a particular race day make it impossible to predict?

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #995 on: June 10, 2015, 06:38:30 AM »
Anders

With only one event on the sands, attended by a few who race on tarmac/concrete, the speed differences may not be statistically significant.

Terry Smith on a his Hayabusa dropped from 204 to 176 mph (a loss of about 15%).

Zef with the turbine bike did take the two sand runs very easily as he has enormous torque. He dropped from a record 233 to 141 mph (not quite a 40% drop).

Tom with the monowheel always has issues of stability and dropped from 61 to 43 mph (about a 30% drop).

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #996 on: June 11, 2015, 11:08:59 AM »
140mph is only marginally faster than what I had as the entry speed in the measured kilometer at the ice track, I cannot imagine that the sand is any worse than spiked tyres regarding drag so it feels like I could have a chance at the record if everything falls into place. :-)

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #997 on: June 12, 2015, 04:21:18 PM »
It was about time to get the summer tyres on the bike.

The wheels lost roughly 50% of their weight without the spikes in the tyres, I am very eager to find out how much faster it will be on a summer track! :)

Since I don´t have time to look at the P4 gauge I decided to remove the pitot tube in the insterstage duct, hopefully the loss of it will decrease the back pressure for the gas producer a little and lower the temps marginally.

I am very much looking forward to the One Mile race this summer, I hope for speeds of >300km/h.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #998 on: June 14, 2015, 05:01:49 PM »
One of my major concerns with the bike fairings is how to properly fit the front fender, only using the holes in the glass fiber fender makes the whole thing rather rattly so I wouldn´t trust it to stay in place at >300km/h speeds. To solve this I cut a strip of 3mm steel today and make a supporting structure for the front end of the fender.

With the foam glued to it the fit is very snug and precise, the whole fender is much more stable now so I am more than pleased with myself at the moment. :)

My uncle Hasse dropped by today with a gift for the jet racing team, very kind of him but I can´t understand why he thinks I will need a fire blanket and a bag full of burn cooling gel... :)

Cheers!
/Anders
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 05:03:36 PM by Mobacken Racing »

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #999 on: June 26, 2015, 11:49:06 AM »
With the arrival of some kind of summer I am quite busy building sheds and casting a concrete floor in the cold section of the workshop, luckily I haven´t got all that much stuff to do on the bike before One Mile in Färila in September.

One of the things I need to do is a tachometer for the gas producer, Olov has promised to help me out with the electrical stuff so this week I drew a display housing in Inventor and 3D-printed it in PLA plastic.

I also had to change the gearing a bit to allow for a higher top speed now that I run on regular street tyres without draggy spikes, some calculations gave a list of top speeds for different gearings at 30.000rpm power turbine speed. I like a bit of safety margin before the centrifugal force starts stretching the blade roots.

I fitted a 20 tooth sprocket which gives the bike a top speed of 320km/h, I don´t think I´ll reach it in a mile but it is easy do change sprockets at the race.

To get rid of the nasty steering wobble I changed the cheap Ebay steering damper to a genuine BMW S1000RR damper, since it hasn´t got the same shape as the China damper I had to make a custom bracket for it.

Here I´ve just cut the bracket out for test fitting, later I´ll make it a bit more pleasing to the eye. :-)

It turned out pretty well I think, I would prefer to have the steering damper travel a little bit longer but the fairings and air box was in the way so it ended up in this position.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline nanno

• New folks
« Reply #1000 on: June 26, 2015, 04:11:08 PM »
Cool stuff, did you notice, that literally one extra tooth on the front sprocket is 10mph topspeed?

Funny coincidence!  :-o

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1001 on: June 26, 2015, 04:57:36 PM »
Didn´t think of that, quite a coincidence as you say!  :-)

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #1002 on: June 26, 2015, 05:44:45 PM »
Need another Viper, conveniently close to Bonneville?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191606574307

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1003 on: June 27, 2015, 02:09:38 PM »
Need another Viper, conveniently close to Bonneville?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191606574307

Mike

I think I´ll pass, the one I got is taking up half my workshop and I need the other half for the turbine bike. :)

Besides, I payed 1/3 of that for my 522. Quite a deal I must say, the guy selling it realized he would never get it anywhere near running so he practically gave it away to free up some space for a complete turn-key engine.

Offline RansomT

« Reply #1004 on: June 27, 2015, 11:26:31 PM »
Is that steering damper from a 2012+ S1000rr?   The 2009-2011 dampers are kinda weak, non-adjustable.  I replaced mine with a 2012 and it was a difference between daylight and dark.