Author Topic: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build  (Read 931089 times)

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
Re: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build
« Reply #90 on: April 23, 2013, 02:32:24 PM »
Rum is mum for the gum. :cheers:

Last night I fitted a pair of Spider throttle grips, very fancy with Shock Absorbing™ and all. To me they just looks like a pair of rubber tubes though... :roll:

The throttle wire was fitted after I made a adjustable wire bolt, I started making one from scratch in brass but halfway through I remembered that I had wrecked my M8 threading die so it was the scrap bin for the fancy brass screw. I ended up drilling through a long M8 bolt instead... :-(

At this setting things should be passing by rather fast. :-)

I´ve bought a 1 1/2" Autometer fuel pressure gauge which dropped in a couple of days ago, I will fit it after both the fuel filter and the solenoid so I can see exactly what pressure the injectors see.

I also had to cut the front wheel stand down 4cm to get clearance for the fender, it is a tight fit but it works.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #91 on: April 24, 2013, 12:35:57 AM »
Anders, it might be a good idea to ride it and make sure the handling is OK before you cut the ends off of the bars.  Sometimes a fella needs some leverage. 

Offline Ellwood

• I do landracing on ice-Flying Kilometer in Sweden
    • Ellwood Hybrid - Crankcase Supercharged Prototypes
« Reply #92 on: April 24, 2013, 03:00:08 AM »
Anders, i reccommend Fakir throttle grips for shock absorbing. Only problem is they are rarer than rocking horse poo, unless anyone in the States knows where to get hold of a pair.

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #93 on: April 24, 2013, 03:44:57 PM »
Anders, it might be a good idea to ride it and make sure the handling is OK before you cut the ends off of the bars.  Sometimes a fella needs some leverage. 

Good idea, I can slide the bars in some in the mounts to have some adjustment possibilities later. Hopefully I can ride with the hands this tight together since they would be mostly hidden inside the fairings.

Ellwood: I have seen your bike grips, they look almost scary! :-D

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #94 on: April 24, 2013, 07:01:12 PM »
SCTA rules are that your opposing thumbs on the handlebars must be at least 10 inches apart.  That is to guarantee that you'll have some kind of leverage to turn.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #95 on: April 25, 2013, 05:39:12 PM »
SCTA rules are that your opposing thumbs on the handlebars must be at least 10 inches apart.  That is to guarantee that you'll have some kind of leverage to turn.

I just measured the distance between the thumbs as the handlebars are now and it is 35cm, no problems in other words. :-)

Offline maj

« Reply #96 on: April 25, 2013, 05:56:52 PM »
Is it AMA and FIM that need 6 "  from the forks to the end of the bars ?

Offline Cereal KLR

« Reply #97 on: April 25, 2013, 11:32:11 PM »
Amazing build  8-)

Bikes require a way to "kill" engine if separated from the vehicle. How quickly will this spool down once fuel supply is stopped?
I thought I would die young, but now its too late.

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #98 on: April 26, 2013, 08:07:14 AM »
Amazing build  8-)

Bikes require a way to "kill" engine if separated from the vehicle. How quickly will this spool down once fuel supply is stopped?

It will flame out immediately when the fuel flow is stopped, even if it takes a while for the revs to drop to zero no power is produced since the heat is gone.

Last night I spent some time on the remaining fuel system, I needed to connect the fuel shutoff solenoid, fuel filter and fuel pressure gauge somehow.

I cut a chunk of aluminum off a longer rod and trued it on the mill.

Drilling and milling, the same old story as always. :)

A couple of  JIC 7/16" couplings later and it was finished!

I need a 1/8"-27 die to make the coupling between the fuel filter and solenoid, will try to borrow one this weekend.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #99 on: April 29, 2013, 04:13:12 PM »
I borrowed a die from a friend a couple of days ago and modified some hydraulic couplings so the package with filter, solenoid and pressure gauge can be made as compact as possible.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline maj

« Reply #100 on: April 29, 2013, 05:46:53 PM »
How much flow does the solenoid have ? and how many lit/min do you need for the hp ?
is there a common usage number or are turbines all quite different

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #101 on: May 02, 2013, 02:36:16 PM »
How much flow does the solenoid have ? and how many lit/min do you need for the hp ?
is there a common usage number or are turbines all quite different

I haven´t actually measured the flow yet, I will do so as soon as I have hooked everything up on the bike. If it doesen´t flow the ~1.5L/min needed I will run without it and use the fuel pump as the safety shutoff instead.

The fuel consumption per horsepower per hour depends mostly on the pressure ratio in the gas turbine, similar to the compression ratio in a piston engine. Higher compression ratio gives a more efficient combustion hence less waste of fuel.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2013, 05:44:01 AM »
Yesterday I got the windscreen I ordered a week ago, looks like a perfect fit so far. When I manage to find someone to hold the camera I will have some pics taken with me fully dressed trying to hide behind the fairings. :-)

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #103 on: May 13, 2013, 02:10:21 PM »

But what is this? Something has gone missing!

Phew, there it is!

The reason for removing the air intake was to fit the oil pump to it, much better place than to have it hanging under the upper frame tube like it did before.

Next up was to fit the fuel filter/pressure gauge combo, the solenoid had to go since it was just one more thing that could cause problems.

With the filter placed well below the fuel inlet port on the engine no kerosene can dribble into the engine any way after shutdown.

Time to start figuring out how to hook everything up, I have to think it through properly before I go shopping for AN couplings since they aren´t exactly cheap...

I started making AN weld fittings for the fuel and oil tanks on the lathe but after a while I decided that the few bucks they cost at the local race store is well worth it to save some trouble. :)

Cheers!
/Anders
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 02:12:04 PM by Mobacken Racing »

Offline Jon

« Reply #104 on: May 13, 2013, 03:37:59 PM »
Do you need the solenoid for rules compliance?, I guess not if your running an electronic fuel pump.

Looking good.
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3