Author Topic: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build  (Read 931019 times)

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
Re: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build
« Reply #585 on: July 11, 2014, 05:18:13 PM »
I measured the oil flow through the engine yesterday to see exactly how much that passes through it in a minute, at 5 bar oil pressure I got 1.8 liters/minute through the scavenge lines.

Other than that I bundled the wiring together and heat shielded it with exhaust wrapping and aluminum tape where it will be subjected to radiant heat from the engine.

Earlier I bought a lenght of heat resistant cable cover that I intended to use on the bleed air line from the engine to the gearbox.

Since the bleed air line is standard pneumatic hose (to see any eventual oil leakage) I needed to shield it, if not it would probably have melted.

The battery got wrapped with a section of fire blanket.

With that done I adjusted the two Hobbs pressure switches, one set to 3 bar on the oil line and one set to 3 bar as well on the P2 line to the pressure gauge.

If the oil pressure drops below 3 bar the fuel pump shuts off, also if the P2 rise above 3 bar it shuts off. That is a simple and bullet proof over speed protection in case the PWM controller fails and lets the fuel pump run flat out. I would never have time to manually shut the engine down in case it happens during a run so it will be a great safety feature. :-)

This weekend I will test the preheat system and when it is checked I can start filling the scuba tanks for the upcoming test start! :-)

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #586 on: July 11, 2014, 09:31:55 PM »
  The oil appears to be aeriated and foamy. Is there an air leak on the suction side? May not be a problem, just wondering.
    Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #587 on: July 11, 2014, 10:01:15 PM »
I thought the same thing.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #588 on: July 12, 2014, 02:20:58 AM »
I have a bit of over capacity on the scavenge pumps to cope with the compressed air leaking past the piston ring seals into the shaft tunnel, when the engine isn´t running the pumps pull air in through the seals.

That is actually a good thing since it keeps the oil from leaking out into the engine casing.

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #589 on: July 12, 2014, 05:51:49 PM »
I took the bike outside to get a video of me testing the propane preheat an hour ago, my feancee held the camera while I was busy talking my head off and getting the preheat to light off. Just before the camera was started I did a test where it lit immediately but when the camera is rolling I gave it too much revs before I hit the preheat button so it took a while before it lit off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTNTShWlTkY

All I need to do now is to refill the scuba tank and bleed the rear brake caliper in case I want to take her for a short run if everything seems to work ok. Fun times ahead! :-)

Cheers!
/Anders
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 05:53:41 PM by Mobacken Racing »

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #590 on: July 12, 2014, 10:20:34 PM »
you've got time for work, this AND a woman ?!!!  :-o

Now I'm really impressed!
Mike in Tacoma

"aww, what the hell - let's just do it".............

Bike #833
100cc A/G, A/F and APS/G (in 2019)

Offline Crackerman

« Reply #591 on: July 12, 2014, 11:03:58 PM »
And a kiddo!

Anders, where do you find time to sleep?

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #592 on: July 13, 2014, 12:43:49 AM »
Actually two kids, a couple of lovely daughters 2 and 4 years old. Plus a house that needs fixing, a one man company (mechanical work and fibre optic welding) on the side of the employment and a handful of other hobbies like running, motorcycling and a newly found interest in black powder revolvers.

It´s no problem at all, but I can´t remember how it felt like idling around not knowing what to do with my spare time... :-D

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #593 on: July 13, 2014, 04:29:59 PM »
I just couldn´t have a ready to run bike in my workshop any longer, so while those prancing football players were rehearsing their best theatre acts for the upcoming game I went outside to try to start the bike.

I´ll probably watch this clip 15 times before I go to bed with a stupid smile on my face tonight. :-)

http://youtu.be/NXu9UKZCVW4

Not a bad run at all, the temps were a bit high and the throttle responce wasn´t like when it ran as a pure jet so I think the freepower NGV area needs to be opened up a bit. No rubs or anything noticeable so I think the engine is a survivor.

The drive chain threw some of its grease off, I´ll probably want to have the rev counter for the power turbine fixed before next start.

Big darn cheers my friends!!!
/Anders

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #594 on: July 13, 2014, 05:21:26 PM »
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #595 on: July 13, 2014, 06:11:17 PM »
Some things are even better than winning a trophy. You're a winner Anders!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #596 on: July 13, 2014, 09:54:57 PM »
  Anders, That makes me want to come over there and be a crew member. [Except I know nothing about turbines]. Keep sending more test videos.
     Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #597 on: July 13, 2014, 10:16:38 PM »
I gotta admit that I don't know that much about what you're building - but I do about the silly smile on your face after a successful first run of the motor on the bike.  Congratulations, and like Doug said -- keep posting those videos so we can see more of the bike and your work.  Thanks. :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SaltPeter

• Can't you just be Serious for once in your Life!
« Reply #598 on: July 13, 2014, 10:41:30 PM »
Fantastic work there Anders  8-) :cheers:  8-) :cheers:

Pete
The Mission is to go as fast as possible along on that old Road Less Traveled.

Offline Vinsky

« Reply #599 on: July 13, 2014, 11:50:02 PM »
If you think Anders isn't a mad scientist, look at the rest of his youtube videos. He has an obsession with rocket and jet powered vehicles.
I hope I get to see this jet bike run. Have you given it a name yet Anders?
John