Author Topic: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build  (Read 930928 times)

Offline tauruck

Re: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build
« Reply #555 on: June 12, 2014, 02:21:54 AM »
Nice one Anders. :cheers:

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #556 on: June 12, 2014, 04:45:07 PM »
Thanks Tauruck!

Today I´ve been building the jet pipe extensions during a few spare moments, I´m making these in mild steel as prototypes and when I´ve found out if the angles and length are ok I´ll make new ones in stainless.

I guess that I´ll find out pretty quick if they are directing the jet exhaust far enough away from my legs. :-)

Sitting on the bike it feels like the length is pretty ok, it sure looks better now than before with the stub exhausts.

They´ll probably have a different colour after the first start.... :-)

I have also made a small fitting for a Hobbs adjustable switch before the boost pressure gauge, I will have it shut off the fuel pump if the P2 rises above 3 bar. This is a safety feature in case the PWM controller for the fuel pump fails and lets pure 12V through to the pump, that would severely overspeed the engine before I have managed to pull the safety chord.

Oh yeah, the safety chord. I had to run out to the workshop to take a picture of it since I forgot earlier. It will act as both a safety chord and a quick kill for the fuel pump that can be easily reached with the left thumb. The bike class rules clearly state that the driver must be able to kill the engine without removing the hands from the handlebars, and this kills two birds with one stone so to speak.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline bbarn

Re:
« Reply #557 on: June 12, 2014, 05:33:24 PM »
Anders - If you have any ability to turn the exhaust more aft, you should try to do so. You will realize some gains from the thrust of the exhaust, plus the aerodynamic benefits of the exhaust not exiting at 90 degrees shouldn't be overlooked.

Ideally, but impossible, would be to route the exhaust to fill in the void created behind the bike/rider caused by separation drag.

Keep up the good work, I am really enjoying your build!
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #558 on: June 12, 2014, 08:39:52 PM »
that type engine killswitch is pretty much a piece of crap. I know that for sure.

a really nice pingel engine killswitch is well worth the money.
 there are a few configurations.  $70 to $100 .

with as nice a build as you have going, I'd hate to see the engine shut off with that red plug still connected.

I am sure that you could build a better one yourself.

Bf262
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #559 on: June 12, 2014, 11:33:28 PM »
   Somebody told me that having the exhaust exit straight out the side is like attaching a 4X4 on the side sticking straight out in the air. Also, any pressure differential from side to side could create some real handling problems. Ask the funny car guys what happens when they lose a cylinder on one side. This bike just fascinates me.
    Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #560 on: June 12, 2014, 11:59:27 PM »
Thanks guys! The "straight out" exhaust is just a temporary one to get eventual flames at engine shutdown away from the battery and rider, later when I have the tail built I will make new exhausts that aim more to the rear.

It isn´t like I am going for the class record at the village road outside my house so any additional drag associated with the exhaust angle is perfectly ok with me. :)

The kill switch is a plastic one that probably isn´t that good, but for now it´ll do. As you say I can easily make my own later with a better quality switch inside an aluminum housing.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #561 on: June 14, 2014, 01:24:15 AM »
Don't use that switch.  A sudden loss of power at speed like what happens when that thing fails can make life real interesting.  This I know from experience.  The Pingel catalog has some good options to that switch.  Nylock wing nuts on the battery hold down might be a good idea.

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #562 on: June 17, 2014, 02:23:20 PM »
I´ll look into the Pingel assortment, thanks for the suggestion!

I started wiring the bike up last night, will be at it again tomorrow if I have time to buy some more cables and couplings.

I will solder every crimp connection to avoid problems with oxide and cables coming loose.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline tauruck

« Reply #563 on: June 18, 2014, 01:00:34 AM »
That looks like you're almost done. :cheers:

I love the way all you guys say you're "doing the wiring".
I wish I knew how. 

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #564 on: June 23, 2014, 04:20:11 PM »
I am as far from a wiring expert as you can get, just blindly fumbling along hoping for the fuses to survive once the main switch is turned. :-D

Continuing with the wiring, lots of thinking required to avoid having to do everything twice...

I routed the oil tank vent to a place further back so the smoke won´t catch fire from the jet exhaust.

Half of the dashboard wired up.

Something I really need to do before the first test drive is to find a small enough CO2 extinguisher that fits the bike, I would never forgive myself if a leak is sprung and the bike burns to the ground while I am searching for something to put the fire out with.

There are 2kg aluminum bottles in store but they are a bit bulky so I am considering making a custom handle for a Soda Streamer bottle, they hold 0.5kg CO2 and are slim enough to fit between the steering head and the seat. I can even fit two if I want to.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #565 on: June 23, 2014, 04:31:07 PM »
And everything will of course be bundled together in fire proof cable covers later in case you wonder, so no hanging wires all over the bike. :-)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #566 on: June 23, 2014, 06:27:17 PM »
Anders:  Maybe you should adopt the old line we used to use when I was a kid just getting into ham radio.  We'd build something and then try to make it work by the phrase "tune for minimum smoke".  The first time you power up the circuits is always exciting -- sometimes a little TOO exciting.  Good luck. :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #567 on: June 23, 2014, 10:12:25 PM »
  Your job: Keep the smoke on the inside of the wires.
    Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline tauruck

« Reply #568 on: June 24, 2014, 01:19:23 AM »
If you're far away from being an expert I want to see a real expert?. :-D

Nice job Anders.

Offline bbarn

I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.