Author Topic: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build  (Read 931022 times)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build
« Reply #465 on: May 04, 2014, 03:33:37 PM »
If it were me, I'd put armor plate between my butt and those rear tire spikes flying by at high speed!  :-D

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #466 on: May 04, 2014, 07:07:37 PM »
Anders, the team go dog go build diary shows how pictures are used to figure out the tail.   

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #467 on: May 05, 2014, 12:07:48 AM »
Neil: A set of steel plates would certainly make me sleep better at night, we´ll see if I can fit some once the rest of the tail is built.

Anders, the team go dog go build diary shows how pictures are used to figure out the tail.   

I´ll take a look, thanks for the hint!

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #468 on: May 06, 2014, 01:41:09 PM »
Last night I assembled the gearbox, here the parts are cleaned and ready to be fitted together.

The housing was cleaned as well and copper washers were fitted behind the oil plugs, the triumph piss oil for both of them I there is no need for this one to leak as well.

Over the years I have made a bucket full of special tools for assembly and disassembly of the engine, here is one for fitting the rear bearing to the pinion shaft.

Here both shafts are in place in the gearbox with the new ceramic bearings fitted.

The turbine bolt lock is kind of special, a 2mm stainless wire is inserted in a hole drilled through both the insex bolt head and the turbine nut flange. Locking washers or Locktite is a bit no no for this since dropping the turbine wheel at 32.000rpm would be a bad idea... :-o

I used a cylindrical punch to make a dent in the wire inside the insex head so it is locked in place, then the ends were bent outside the flange as well so now I consider the turbine wheel secured beyond all doubt.

The whole power turbine section assembled, hopefully it will stay that way the rest of the year as well.

After that I could fit the engine in the frame, it looks much better now with some paint on the frame and gearbox.

Next up is to flush the gearbox internals with kerosine to get rid of the last bit of bearing grease and any eventual particles that got in there during assembly, will get to that later this week.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline sabat

« Reply #469 on: May 06, 2014, 01:58:12 PM »
Looks fantastic Anders, as always  :cheers:

I'm sorry if you've explained this already, but where will the hot exhaust be directed? I was watching the videos from Iceweek posted on another thread, and the heat was intense. Is this the same sort of engine design?

best,
Dean

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #470 on: May 06, 2014, 02:28:43 PM »
Hi Dean and thanks!

No, in the ice racing we use afterburning jet engines which would melt both the rear tire and wheel if used on the motorcycle.

The engine I´ve built for the bike is a turboshaft engine just like the ones in helicopters, the jet exhaust is directed through a secondary turbine stage where it spends all its energy and then simply exits the engine through exhaust ports on each side as you can see in the picture below.

I will fit extensions to the exhausts later when the rear fairing is built, I need to get the 3-400°C exhaust jet away from the fairings to avoid melting them or at least burning the paint.

I hope my explanation was helpful, thanks for watching! :-)

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline sabat

« Reply #471 on: May 06, 2014, 03:15:59 PM »
That makes sense, thanks for the explanation. cheers, Dean

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #472 on: May 06, 2014, 04:24:03 PM »
You are welcome. :-)

To avoid two hours of Eurovision Song Festival I sneaked out to the shed and flushed the gearbox just now, it rotates much freer now after being spun up with kerosine in the sump so I assume the grease is gone now.

I noticed that a fair bit of the kero leaked into the exhaust scroll through the power turbine shaft seal, but the very small amount of oil used later should keep any smoke in the exhaust to a minimum. If it turns out to be a problem I just got a set of piston ring seals that I ordered just in case that would happen.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #473 on: May 09, 2014, 02:08:22 PM »
Assembling the bike for a car/bike show two weeks from now, we will have our own space with the twinturbo jet kick and my turbine bike.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #474 on: May 10, 2014, 10:13:51 PM »

To avoid two hours of Eurovision Song Festival

Cheers!
/Anders

We get it for twelve hours on tv on the other side of the planet
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline salt27

« Reply #475 on: May 10, 2014, 10:30:38 PM »

To avoid two hours of Eurovision Song Festival

Cheers!
/Anders

We get it for twelve hours on tv on the other side of the planet
G

So now we know what Goggs has been preoccupied with. (fashion tips)   :-D

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #476 on: May 11, 2014, 05:02:58 PM »
I continued getting the bike ready for the bike show, the rear wheel got a set of ceramic bearings and a wipe with an acetone rag to get the worst of the dried in chain lubricant off it.

I also did some more work on the rear fender to make it more visible just what the bike will look like when finished.

The clearance for the tire is slightly more than 5cm, no risk that the tire will expand and hit it at speed. When I run with spiked tires I`ll have a metal fender to keep the spikes from coming lose and opening up a couple of new holes in my body...

The idea is to narrow it down further back so that it will have a slim ending, I have a clear picture of the finished result in my head and I hope that I can make the fender look anything like it. :-)

With the front fender and fairings in place it looks like the lines are ok, I am tempted to cut a bit from the fairing sides to make the entire engine accessible without having to remove the plastic.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #477 on: May 11, 2014, 09:20:12 PM »
"When I run with spiked tires I`ll have a metal fender to keep the spikes from coming lose and opening up a couple of new holes in my body...

Methinks you already have some loose screws! :-D
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #478 on: May 11, 2014, 09:47:02 PM »
Love the updates, thanks. You are really progressing daily.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #479 on: May 11, 2014, 10:45:34 PM »
Anders, do not forget to put on your chain guard.  The various sanctioning organizations have different rules.  It is not hard to make a guard that is legal in all. - Bo