Author Topic: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build  (Read 930918 times)

Offline charlie101

• Indian 101 buff
Re: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build
« Reply #375 on: March 25, 2014, 02:15:48 PM »
you can try this approach. It'll give a lot of answers really quick and cheap. http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=111100

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=112924
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 02:18:30 PM by charlie101 »

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #376 on: March 25, 2014, 05:26:18 PM »
An interesting technique Charlie, but nahh I think I´ll take my chances and finish the frame and find it out from the riders seat instead. :-)

Offline charlie101

• Indian 101 buff
« Reply #377 on: March 25, 2014, 06:51:31 PM »
What do you mean with that? You are about to stiffen the frame and this simple method with soldering up a model on your kitchen table makes it a breeze to get a hint about the torsional and structional stiffness of the frame, and makes it easy to see where a heavier tube or stiffening members would make the best work. The findings the author made, surprised him.

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #378 on: March 26, 2014, 01:01:08 AM »
I mean that with the limitations at hand (removable engine, jet exhaust etc etc) there is simply no room for any more alterations to the frame, so any findings using this method can only be met with a shrug and an "oh well".

Offline Crackerman

« Reply #379 on: March 26, 2014, 02:11:26 PM »
a shrug and a "oh well", in my experience, usually costs a lot more financially the second time. moreso, if your wife is raising your baby by herself.

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #380 on: March 26, 2014, 03:14:15 PM »
a shrug and a "oh well", in my experience, usually costs a lot more financially the second time. moreso, if your wife is raising your baby by herself.

Just what are you getting at here? I can spend countless hours twisting soldered together copper wires without having a clue if that result has anything to do with my frame integrity, are you suggesting that if it folds in some particular way I should deem my bike frame unsafe and build a new one?

I´ve had this thread going for quite a while now and people have given me plenty of good advice which I have heeded (more or less), and experienced builders have had all the time in the world to tell me that I am on the wrong track with the frame build. Never heard anything so far.

If you are a tech inspector telling me straight out that this frame will never pass inspection for this and that reason, why then I would thank you, bow to your wisdom and follow your every lead. If a complete stranger insinuates that my frame will make my children fatherless without any explanation whatsoever I get rather pissed off for obvious reasons.

/Anders

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #381 on: March 26, 2014, 04:42:10 PM »

That was harsh and uncalled for
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #382 on: March 26, 2014, 04:52:43 PM »
I think everything Andres is building is with a lot of planning and thought. He has asked and got suggestions on his build. I like his work and being a motor cycle it is limited for space. He has added two upper tubes and gussets to add strength. The finish fitting will tell how much room he has for any additional space there is for add ons. His detail and design is well done. I don't see reason to starting a Pissing contest. Keep up the good work and looking forward to seeing you on the salt. :cheers:
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 05:11:08 PM by Glen »
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #383 on: March 26, 2014, 05:08:38 PM »
Uncalled for criticism by self appointed experts such as shown here is why I often use PMs rather than putting something out in the thread where it might be useful to others. This is an amazing build from a superb craftsman who is more than capable of making his own judgements on his projects.

Keep up the great work Anders!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #384 on: March 26, 2014, 10:02:47 PM »
   Peter, Well said! I want to see it in person and shake Ander's hand for a job well done.
   Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #385 on: March 26, 2014, 10:37:46 PM »
The parts that are bolted into the frame can also be used to give the assembly some stiffness.

This is a special construction machine that is quite a bit different than anything most of us have worked with.  It is hard to for me to say a whole lot about it except to make a suggestion.  That is to run it at less than its full speed potential at first, then to apply the power in stages.   This is what I do.  A possible way is to attend speedweek here in the US and to stay for BUB.  This has worked well for a lot of racers from Europe.  That few weeks between events can be used to do all sorts of work. 

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #386 on: March 27, 2014, 12:58:51 AM »
Thank you very much for the encouraging words, since I´ve never built a bike frame before I am very thankful for all help I am getting here. :-)

The parts that are bolted into the frame can also be used to give the assembly some stiffness.

This is a special construction machine that is quite a bit different than anything most of us have worked with.  It is hard to for me to say a whole lot about it except to make a suggestion.  That is to run it at less than its full speed potential at first, then to apply the power in stages.   This is what I do.  A possible way is to attend speedweek here in the US and to stay for BUB.  This has worked well for a lot of racers from Europe.  That few weeks between events can be used to do all sorts of work. 

I will most certainly take it easy at first to sort the bike out at lower speeds before I try any full throttle runs, I plan to do lots of testing here in Sweden first so I am confident of both frame and engine before I take it abroad. I am painfully aware of the R&D involved in new projects so I will take it nice and slow to spot upcoming problems before I go fast enough to get myself into trouble.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #387 on: March 27, 2014, 01:11:29 AM »
Last night I made the last handful of frame tubes and started welding the frame up.

I added three connecting tubes on each side of the central upper frame tube and one between the newly added upper frame tubes and the vertical frame tube that connects the upper and lower frame tubes. Dang hard to describe and I forgot to take any closeup pic of it but it can be seen in the fourth pic below if you look closely.

After that I removed the wheels and forks and lifted the bare frame up on a pair of stands to make welding easier, I haven´t weighed it yet but it feels like can´t weigh many kgs.

Some are probably wondering why I don´t use the frame jig while welding the frame. I chose not to because 80% of the frame already is welded so it should stay in shape pretty well, and I will still have to align the wheel axles by modifying the chain tension blocks for the rear wheel when I am done so it doesen´t matter if there is some minor movement in the frame now. Therefore I find it better that the frame can move freely than to build in tension in it.

I hope tech inspection find the welds acceptable, I will take a bunch of pics before I paint the frame just to be on the safe side.

Cheers!
/Anders
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 01:13:13 AM by Mobacken Racing »

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #388 on: March 27, 2014, 06:25:24 AM »
     I'm no Structural Engineer but the frame looks a lot better now, nice improvements that look like they were part of the original plan.

I also like the design of the stands, look like they will fold up neatly for storage yet remain plenty ridged for use.

Ed

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #389 on: March 27, 2014, 09:08:54 AM »
Speaking of runs in ever increasing speeds, I'm positive that SCTA/BNI inspectors will REQUIRE you to do just that because not only of the newness of the bike -- but because of the non-traditional engine.  They'll want you to run, no problem there, but they also want proof that it'll be a safe run for you. :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com