Author Topic: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build  (Read 930960 times)

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
Re: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build
« Reply #330 on: November 28, 2013, 04:48:11 PM »
While waiting for the turbine shaft to come back from balancing I figured I could fix the throttle arrangement, the manual needle valve throttle I made didn´t flow enough fuel so I had to use a PWM controller for the fuel pump. Up until now I have had a PWM controller zip tied to the handlebar but it would be impossible to adjust the tiny knob while riding... :)

A friend of mine has a spare part Mercedes that I could scavenge the throttle position sensor from, it is basically a potentiometer so I figured I could use it to control a PWM module. Testing it on a fuel pump confirmed this so I fitted it to the air box and started making the throttle wire mount.

That went well, I used a long bolt as an adjustable throttle stop so I can set the max throttle setting manually. Idle is adjusted on the wire tension screw.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #331 on: January 09, 2014, 02:33:44 PM »
Finally I´ve got the turbine shaft back from balancing, it was some .1mm bent but not more than it could be straightened again. Phew, the turbo rebuilder saved me a pile of cash there...

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #332 on: January 09, 2014, 02:43:59 PM »
Great to hear Anders! Hope too see your bike running under it's own power again soon!  :cheers:
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #333 on: January 09, 2014, 04:44:53 PM »
Great to hear Anders! Hope too see your bike running under it's own power again soon!  :cheers:

Shouldn´t take too long I hope, but I am in the middle of building a new gas turbine sled for the Speed Weekend on Ice here in Sweden so I have little time for the bike until the race is over.

I am also doing the winter overhaul/modifications on my daily driver so despite the silence in the build thread I am keeping myself busy.  :-)

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #334 on: January 09, 2014, 06:24:49 PM »
Finally, something I recognize!  A Triumph!
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #335 on: January 09, 2014, 09:04:05 PM »
Are you going to ride the sled?  How fast do you expect it to go?

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #336 on: January 10, 2014, 12:15:53 AM »
Are you going to ride the sled?  How fast do you expect it to go?

My partner in crime Olov is the designated driver for the sled, but I´ll certainly try it out to see what it is good for. Our old sled with less than half the thrust ran 122km/h so this one should easily go over 160km/h when everything is tuned in.

Should be an interesting ride when you are standing on steel runners 5cm above the ground... :-D

/Anders
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 12:23:20 AM by Mobacken Racing »

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #337 on: January 10, 2014, 12:27:07 PM »
Kid puzzle:

Grown up puzzle:

Before I can assemble the engine I need to make a new stainless piston ring sleeve for the diffuser housing, the old one got damaged when the rings seized up and after machining the bore the ring end gap was too large.

Then I modified the new front thrust bearing surface a bit so it would fit.

With that done I cleaned everything with acetone and fitted the sleeve to the housing with cylindrical fastener, I left it to cure over night so tomorrow it should be permanently locked in place. A safety tap with the center punch at the edge of the hole will make sure it can never work its way into the back side of the comp wheel.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #338 on: January 12, 2014, 05:44:46 PM »
Finally I´ve got the turbine shaft back from balancing, it was some .1mm bent but not more than it could be straightened again. Phew, the turbo rebuilder saved me a pile of cash there...

Cheers!
/Anders

Your turbo guy looks like a cool cat
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #339 on: January 12, 2014, 10:53:43 PM »
   Cats are very "non-committal".
  Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #340 on: January 13, 2014, 05:04:18 PM »
 :-D

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #341 on: January 25, 2014, 03:55:16 PM »
Finally some time over for assembling the engine! I know you have seen these assembly pics 100 times before but bear with me. :)

The new thrust bearing in place.

To be able to torque the compressor housing bolts in an easy way I made a jig plate for the shaft tunnel, earlier I have had to hold the engine with one hand and torque it with the other. Not very practical...

That´s more like it, why didn´t I make this jig earlier? :)

Now was the time to wire lock some bolt heads!

To torque the turbine housing bolts I used the rotary table to hold the engine, under each bolt head I use a Nordlock washer to make sure the bolts won´t come lose.

This is as far as I made it before I ran out of batteries in the portable Baby Watch, much more space on the working table now. :)

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #342 on: January 27, 2014, 05:28:49 PM »
Tonight I continued assembling the engine, here I am about to torque the compressor nut. Notice the dust-free environment which is of uttermost importance when working with these kind of thrust producing contraptions...

With the engine back together I will continue with the gearbox, it will be converted to dry sump with oil jets directed at every bearing and gear mesh. Figured it is better to get it done right away rather than wait until later when the roads are clear. Just for fun I stacked the engine together on top of the work bench, quite a pile it has become...

Looking at the engine assembled it is hard to understand that four years ago I made the first cut with the mill in an aluminum chunk later to become the compressor diffusor, lots of water has passed under the workshop bridge since then. :-)

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline gmansyz

• New folks
  • me-me
« Reply #343 on: January 28, 2014, 08:17:35 PM »
What a freaking Awesome build!!!
Will you run it at Bonneville?
G

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #344 on: January 29, 2014, 03:56:04 PM »
What a freaking Awesome build!!!
Will you run it at Bonneville?
G

Thanks G! :-)

I hope so one day, first I have to get it sorted out on the tracks here in Europe before I even think of shipping it to US. Lots of speed to be found in the tuning with these engines, and I will need every single horsepower if I am to go for the class record.

The fairings will have to be pretty slippery as well, I have the benefit of a very small frontal area since the turbine engine is only 30cm wide but the transitions between fairings and driver will need some work.

Cheers!
/Anders