Author Topic: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build  (Read 931087 times)

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
Re: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build
« Reply #270 on: September 22, 2013, 01:39:42 PM »
Today I got up early and headed out to the workshop with a pan of coffee. I forgot to test if the new oil block is leak free so I removed it from the shaft tunnel, blocked off the exits and gave it 5 kg oil pressure. Not a sign of a leak so I am satisfied. :-)

While I had the piece removed I milled the wire lock grooves a bit wider so I could lock the bolts properly.

Assembling the shaft tunnel and diffuser housing.

This is what the new wire locking looks like, a bit better than before. :-)

After that I could fit the combustor/NGV piece, the cheramic coating holds up remarkably well despite being exposed to close to 1000°C during some of the early runs.

I test flowed the syringe injectors to see if any of them were blocked by dirt in the fuel system, as far as I could tell all of them were flowing fuel so it is all good.

Turbine shaft fitted and compressor wheel on its way!

The compressor nut is angle torqued to 130°-145°, feels insanely much but that is according to the manual so it must be correct.

After some more assembling the JU-01 was completed and waiting to be put back in the frame where it belongs.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #271 on: September 22, 2013, 05:21:35 PM »
Anders:  It's been a while since I looked at the beginning of this build, so I'll ask you here:  Are you going to run this bike at the Speedweekend on Ice this coming winter, or is it for Bonneville and other non-ice tracks?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #272 on: September 22, 2013, 11:21:52 PM »
Hi Seldom,

The idea from the beginning was to race at the ice track but I have had to reconsider that, the lake is regulated so no matter how they prepare the track it gets pretty bumpy by the time the race takes place. I´ve heard of guys who have had both front and rear tire in the air at the same time in some of the larger bumps... :-o

With my hard tail frame the rear tire will spend lots of time in the air at higher speeds, and the nature of turboshaft engines is that the faster the output shaft spins the more power it makes up to the point where the driveline disintegrates.

Combine this with a slow throttle response (the nature of gas turbines) and I can get myself into a situation where the rear wheel starts spinning uncontrollably in the air and tear the spikes out of the rubber when it gets back into contact with the ice.

No rush with the build in other words, my aim is to road test the bike this summer and maybe just maybe attend to the flying mile race at Tierp Arena if the bike is ready.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #273 on: September 26, 2013, 04:34:02 PM »
The engine is back in the frame now, I had to grind some material away from the air box for the engine to fit between it and the freepower housing.

I need to mill a couple of mm´s from the gearbox mounts to get the JU-01 and freepower housing to align at the V-band clamp.

Then it was the issue with the chain tension, I haven´t decided yet if I should fit a chain tensioner or not but no matter what I still have to mill away the corner on the gearbox mount.

This is the first time I really miss a tilting vice, I managed to use my ordinary vice but it took some effort... :-)

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #274 on: September 26, 2013, 07:35:47 PM »
Nice work, hope you get some test runs in soon. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #275 on: September 26, 2013, 11:36:28 PM »
Thanks! Unfortunately winter is arriving fast here in Sweden now so the only test runs I can do for the next 7 months or so are stationary ones.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #276 on: September 26, 2013, 11:47:51 PM »
Every one to his own taste but when I'm working in the shop I prefer some Tal Farlow on the stereo system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SagCCeZXZo

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
You mean you don't know of Seasick Steve?, I bet Anders does. :-D

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #277 on: September 27, 2013, 12:02:32 PM »
I took half the day off from work today to fix my plasma cutter, Olov will borrow it to cut the flanges for the new jet kick this weekend. I had some time left so I milled 1mm off the gearbox mounts for better alignment between gas producer and power turbine.

Finished!

With the smallest front sprocket fitted I have enough clearance for the drive chain, later when I need higher gearing I need to figure out some kind of chain tensioner but this will do for now.

I am very very close to the test start of the bike, >I only have to rivet the drive chain and brush some dust from the suit. :)

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline sabat

« Reply #278 on: September 27, 2013, 12:09:23 PM »
Brilliant work!

I love that seat, is it from Ikea?   :-D

Dean

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #279 on: September 27, 2013, 10:59:49 PM »
It looks like you are close to building the shields and guards.  Titanium is about 60% the weight of steel and very and strong.   

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #280 on: September 27, 2013, 11:24:17 PM »
That's a crack job of running wires  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #281 on: September 28, 2013, 12:30:25 AM »
Dean: Actually yes, I made it from a leftover kitchen drawer. :-D

Wobblywalrus: Not quite yet but I am getting there. Titanium would be the material of choice if my budget was larger, but since this build is funded by whats left in my pocket by the end of each month I will have to settle for stainless.

I think the total weight isn´t that bad anyway, I will weigh it this week if I can find a suitable scale. Hopefully <200kg.

Stainless1: He he, no need to make any fancy wiring since it will only be used for the initial testing. Once the engine is a confirmed runner I will take everything apart for the final frame welding and some paint, and during assembly a "real" wiring will be done.

No more sitting on the ignition coil wire... :-)

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #282 on: October 01, 2013, 03:49:09 PM »
I´ve done the last stuff that needed to be fixed before the test start now, I fitted the new brake discs...

...and cut the drive chain to lenght and riveted it.

With that done I held my breath and tested if the piston ring seal would still leak oil or not, to my great relief not a single drop came out of the drain after a minute with 3.5kg oil pressure! :cheers:

If the weather and time permits I will try to start the bike on sunday, so stay tuned!

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #283 on: October 01, 2013, 05:06:44 PM »
Looking forward to some video of this fine machine! Keep us posted Anders!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #284 on: October 01, 2013, 07:10:58 PM »
Wooo Hoo Anders. Videos are a requirement when testing :-D :cheers:

Frank
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15