Author Topic: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build  (Read 930961 times)

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
Re: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build
« Reply #195 on: July 27, 2013, 07:02:52 AM »
Neil, you definitely have good taste-very nice!

Well, except for the flamenco... :wink:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #196 on: July 27, 2013, 11:20:31 AM »
Flamenco is an acquired taste  :-)

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #197 on: July 28, 2013, 11:08:35 AM »
Back many years ago, when Dad was the sales manager for Electro-Voice, he got lots of interesting music so he could show off the systems EV made.  We had a few records of - ready? - bullfight music.  Close to flamenco, sorta, but - ahh, unique.  I often wonder where those old records are now.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #198 on: August 07, 2013, 04:35:26 PM »
After yet another vacation, now a 700km trip to a wedding, I am back home and eager as ever to get some more work done on the bike. Last night I ran to the workshop with a couple of beers to ease my vacation nerves a bit.  :-)

The battery box was cut to shape and had side walls welded to it, then I welded a steel plate to the frame as the front box mount.

The rear battery box mounts.

And finally the battery box could be fitted to the frame! Like a gloooooove!  :-)

The battery in place, there is enough space around it for some padding/heat shielding. I don´t want to cook the battery from the radiant heat coming from the exhaust...

The other project for the evening was to fit the gauges, a small dashboard was made for the P2, TOT, oil temp and oil pressure gauge.

Gauges in place!

And after welding a bracket to the frame it fitted this nicely under the wind screen, except for these gauges I will have a tachometer that measures the power turbine RPM from a probe on the front sprocket. That way I can see if there is any tire slip and how close to max revs the Allison C20 wheel is without having to calculate it from the GPS speed. The tachometer will be placed above the air intake along with the assortment of buttons and whatnot.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #199 on: August 07, 2013, 06:24:29 PM »
P2  & TOT? Is this turbinespeak?  Nancy's dashboard had a note on it (from Stainless and Johnboy).  It read T O T, but the meaning was to help her get down further for a better tuck.  You're welcome to spend a few seconds figuring it out.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #200 on: August 07, 2013, 06:39:51 PM »
I'm no expert at abbreviations, but I'm guessing it had something to do with the fuel tank.  :evil:
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #201 on: August 07, 2013, 06:41:53 PM »
And the bike is looking great Anders!  :cheers: The quality of the work is outstanding! Hope to one day see it whistling down the salt.
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #202 on: August 07, 2013, 06:58:38 PM »
P2  & TOT? Is this turbinespeak?  Nancy's dashboard had a note on it (from Stainless and Johnboy).  It read T O T, but the meaning was to help her get down further for a better tuck.  You're welcome to spend a few seconds figuring it out.

.... on thighs?

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #203 on: August 07, 2013, 07:12:25 PM »
Close.

"...on tank" :evil: :evil:  Didn't help much, I'm happy to report. :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #204 on: August 08, 2013, 01:05:16 AM »
Ahh, sorry about that! It never crossed my mind that there are people out there unfamiliar to gas turbine nomenclature. :-D

The different pressures in a gas turbine engine are numbered by the way they appear from the intake to the exhaust, P1 (pressure 1) is the pressure before the compressor stage, P2 is pressure after the compressor stage etc etc. P2 is in other words "boost pressure" in automotive terms.

TOT means Turbine Outlet Temperature, the temp before the turbine wheel is TIT. To complicate things even further I could name it ITT (Inter Turbine Temperature) now that I have a power turbine stage added to the engine. :-)

Thanks Lsrjunkie! :-)

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #205 on: August 08, 2013, 05:45:30 PM »
After seeing my friends gas turbine sportbike on the road for the first time I just HAVE to try my bike before the winter arrives! I will up the pace if possible and cut some corners to save time, the rest can be done during the winter. :)

I removed the power turbine section to finish some stuff left undone earlier, I also think I will skip the dry sump and directed oil jets for now and fit them later. I cannot imagine that the bearings will suffer any damage from a short low speed run with oil in the gearbox.

A graphite seal will be fitted in front of the first shaft bearing to keep heat from the bearing and oil from pouring into the turbine housing, in the pic I am removing the turbine wheel shaft spacer to access the space where the seal will be.

After that I started doing what I had planned for the evening, to align the rear wheel and make spacers for the rear axle.

The right side spacer being arbored in the mill.

And here it is in place, I found a suitable piece of aluminum for the left side spacer but called it a night since I was kind of tired.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #206 on: August 08, 2013, 06:44:12 PM »
Said it before and will say it again. Cool build and learning a lot. :cheers:
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #207 on: August 09, 2013, 07:16:47 AM »
Thanks, always nice to learn new stuff. :-)

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #208 on: August 09, 2013, 11:21:15 AM »
 Yep, good to learn. I have been wanting to propel something with a gas turbine for a coulple of years. Following your build has given me some ideas.Can't wait to see a video of this bike under power.

Frank.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #209 on: August 12, 2013, 03:54:40 PM »
Get to it, turbines are tons of fun! :-)

To sort things out a bit I wrote down all the different things that needs to be done before the bike is ready to run, it might look a lot but mostly they are minor jobs that can be done 2-3 of each workshop pass. Sorry for the crappy language. :)

After that I made the last wheel spacer so now the rear wheel is aligned and freely spinning.

Everything in place!

That was a couple of days ago, today I found an hour after the kids went to sleep and started working on the gearbox. I needed to make 6 M8 threaded holes so I could bolt the freepower housing and gearbox together. If I hadn´t drilled some of the freepower housing holes slightly wrong 6 months ago I could have done just that, now I need to grind them a bit for all six bolts to fit.

Threading the shaft tunnel, cast iron is a bit strange to work with since it doesen´t produce swarfs like ordinary steel but rather dust...

After that I made the cover for the shaft bearing right behind the power turbine wheel, first I thought about making it in graphite but since I don´t know if it might send particles into the bearing and possibly wreck it I chose to make it in steel instead. Here I am threading the hole for the stop screw.

Here we have the cover (there must be a more correct name for it) and the stop screw before they were fitted.

And here they are in place.

Cheers!
/Anders
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 03:56:53 PM by Mobacken Racing »