Landracing Forum Home
December 12, 2017, 06:46:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:
BACK TO LANDRACING.COM HOMEPAGE

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

(Note: Donations are not tax deductible)

Live Audio Streaming and Archives of Past Events
Next Live Event: TBD
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... 117   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build  (Read 403193 times)
manta22

What, me worry?

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: July 26, 2013, 08:12:21 PM »

I find listening to blues is best for me-Muddy Waters, B.B. King, Robert Johnson, and of course, Eric Clapton and Stevie Ray Vaughn! grin

Old country blues is my taste-- Big Bill Broonzy, Leadbelly, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Blind Blake, Sonny Terry & Brownie McGee, etc. Like in "country music" the earlier stuff appeals to me-- Hank Williams, Jimmy Rodgers, etc. Everyone's tastes are different. Then there is flamenco...

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
38flattie

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: July 27, 2013, 06:02:52 AM »

Neil, you definitely have good taste-very nice!

Well, except for the flamenco... wink

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
manta22

What, me worry?

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: July 27, 2013, 10:20:31 AM »

Flamenco is an acquired taste  smiley

Seldom Seen Slim
Administrator

Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!

« Reply #198 on: July 28, 2013, 10:08:35 AM »

Back many years ago, when Dad was the sales manager for Electro-Voice, he got lots of interesting music so he could show off the systems EV made.  We had a few records of - ready? - bullfight music.  Close to flamenco, sorta, but - ahh, unique.  I often wonder where those old records are now.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com
Mobacken Racing

Turbine junkie

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: August 07, 2013, 03:35:26 PM »

After yet another vacation, now a 700km trip to a wedding, I am back home and eager as ever to get some more work done on the bike. Last night I ran to the workshop with a couple of beers to ease my vacation nerves a bit.  smiley

The battery box was cut to shape and had side walls welded to it, then I welded a steel plate to the frame as the front box mount.

The rear battery box mounts.

And finally the battery box could be fitted to the frame! Like a gloooooove!  smiley

The battery in place, there is enough space around it for some padding/heat shielding. I don┤t want to cook the battery from the radiant heat coming from the exhaust...

The other project for the evening was to fit the gauges, a small dashboard was made for the P2, TOT, oil temp and oil pressure gauge.

Gauges in place!

And after welding a bracket to the frame it fitted this nicely under the wind screen, except for these gauges I will have a tachometer that measures the power turbine RPM from a probe on the front sprocket. That way I can see if there is any tire slip and how close to max revs the Allison C20 wheel is without having to calculate it from the GPS speed. The tachometer will be placed above the air intake along with the assortment of buttons and whatnot.

Cheers!
/Anders
Seldom Seen Slim
Administrator

« Reply #200 on: August 07, 2013, 05:24:29 PM »

P2  & TOT? Is this turbinespeak?  Nancy's dashboard had a note on it (from Stainless and Johnboy).  It read T O T, but the meaning was to help her get down further for a better tuck.  You're welcome to spend a few seconds figuring it out.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com
lsrjunkie

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: August 07, 2013, 05:39:51 PM »

I'm no expert at abbreviations, but I'm guessing it had something to do with the fuel tank.  evil

Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson
lsrjunkie

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: August 07, 2013, 05:41:53 PM »

And the bike is looking great Anders!  cheers The quality of the work is outstanding! Hope to one day see it whistling down the salt.

Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson
manta22

What, me worry?

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: August 07, 2013, 05:58:38 PM »

P2  & TOT? Is this turbinespeak?  Nancy's dashboard had a note on it (from Stainless and Johnboy).  It read T O T, but the meaning was to help her get down further for a better tuck.  You're welcome to spend a few seconds figuring it out.

.... on thighs?

Seldom Seen Slim
Administrator

« Reply #204 on: August 07, 2013, 06:12:25 PM »

Close.

"...on tank" evil evil  Didn't help much, I'm happy to report. rolleyes

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com
Mobacken Racing

Turbine junkie

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: August 08, 2013, 12:05:16 AM »

Ahh, sorry about that! It never crossed my mind that there are people out there unfamiliar to gas turbine nomenclature. grin

The different pressures in a gas turbine engine are numbered by the way they appear from the intake to the exhaust, P1 (pressure 1) is the pressure before the compressor stage, P2 is pressure after the compressor stage etc etc. P2 is in other words "boost pressure" in automotive terms.

TOT means Turbine Outlet Temperature, the temp before the turbine wheel is TIT. To complicate things even further I could name it ITT (Inter Turbine Temperature) now that I have a power turbine stage added to the engine. smiley

Thanks Lsrjunkie! smiley
Mobacken Racing

Turbine junkie

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: August 08, 2013, 04:45:30 PM »

After seeing my friends gas turbine sportbike on the road for the first time I just HAVE to try my bike before the winter arrives! I will up the pace if possible and cut some corners to save time, the rest can be done during the winter. Smiley

I removed the power turbine section to finish some stuff left undone earlier, I also think I will skip the dry sump and directed oil jets for now and fit them later. I cannot imagine that the bearings will suffer any damage from a short low speed run with oil in the gearbox.

A graphite seal will be fitted in front of the first shaft bearing to keep heat from the bearing and oil from pouring into the turbine housing, in the pic I am removing the turbine wheel shaft spacer to access the space where the seal will be.

After that I started doing what I had planned for the evening, to align the rear wheel and make spacers for the rear axle.

The right side spacer being arbored in the mill.

And here it is in place, I found a suitable piece of aluminum for the left side spacer but called it a night since I was kind of tired.

Cheers!
/Anders
Captthundarr

In line

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: August 08, 2013, 05:44:12 PM »

Said it before and will say it again. Cool build and learning a lot. cheers

Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15
Mobacken Racing

Turbine junkie

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: August 09, 2013, 06:16:47 AM »

Thanks, always nice to learn new stuff. smiley
Captthundarr

In line

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: August 09, 2013, 10:21:15 AM »

Yep, good to learn. I have been wanting to propel something with a gas turbine for a coulple of years. Following your build has given me some ideas.Can't wait to see a video of this bike under power.

Frank.

Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... 117   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: