Landracing Forum Home
December 18, 2017, 06:03:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:
BACK TO LANDRACING.COM HOMEPAGE

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

(Note: Donations are not tax deductible)

Live Audio Streaming and Archives of Past Events
Next Live Event: TBD
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 [115] 116 117   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build  (Read 405150 times)
Vinsky

Ignore
« Reply #1710 on: September 03, 2017, 02:17:43 PM »

Anders, congratulations.
Are we going to see some 300 km/h T shirts?

John
Peter Jack

Ignore
« Reply #1711 on: September 03, 2017, 03:08:43 PM »

I'm just curious, is the engine rebuildable? It would be nice to put it on the shelf beside the trophies as a runner.  grin grin grin

Pete
Mobacken Racing

Turbine junkie

Ignore
« Reply #1712 on: September 03, 2017, 04:25:51 PM »

Thanks! smiley

No more tshirts I am afraid, I haven´t broken even on the last batch so I´d rather spend my money on getting the bike race ready.

I don´t know how damaged the engine is, but I think I´ll just leave it as it is instead of spending time trying to fix it, the hot side is partially ceramic coated mild steel so I am surprised it has survived this long.

The results just came out, I laughed loud when I saw that I outran the 1500hp Dodge Viper... grin

Cheers!
/Anders
grumm441

HK 327

Ignore
« Reply #1713 on: September 10, 2017, 05:02:48 PM »

Congratulations
I like that the hottest bike wins the coolest bike trophy
I also like that the half mile and one mile speeds are in kilometres per hour
G

Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Now with stars
I build it, Goggles tries his hardest to break it
Mobacken Racing

Turbine junkie

Ignore
« Reply #1714 on: September 15, 2017, 03:20:28 PM »

Congratulations
I like that the hottest bike wins the coolest bike trophy
I also like that the half mile and one mile speeds are in kilometres per hour
G

One thing a friend said was that it was pretty darn fast for a bike with an unsuspended rear, I have no idea how fast rigid frame bikes have run but I guess that the smarter bikers use suspension if they want to go fast... grin
Mobacken Racing

Turbine junkie

Ignore
« Reply #1715 on: September 17, 2017, 04:01:35 PM »

Tonight I undressed the bike to remove the engine and check it for wear.

I assumed the gas producer turbine would look like the Fukushima reactor core but to my surprise I couldn´t find any evidence of overheating, mostly it was soot that seems to have come from oil leaking past the rear seal.

Sharp turbine inducer tips, not what I expected to find! Smiley

The C20 power turbine was in a sorrier state though, one large crack and a couple of hairline cracks through the outer rim. Wear marks on the radial seals tells me that this must have happened while the bike was running and not while cooling down after the last run. No signs of cracks in the hub section which is a relief, lets just say that the turbine wheel stress relieved itself at 25.000rpm... Smiley

This is a good reminder to keep the temps in check, the new engine seems to be running at much more reasonable temperatures so I´ll just decide to not let the interstage temps go much past 750°C and this shouldn´t happen again.

Cheers!
/Anders
Mobacken Racing

Turbine junkie

Ignore
« Reply #1716 on: September 25, 2017, 03:20:14 PM »

I have been busy with other stuff lately but now it feels like the JU-02 project has priority again, during the last week or so I have been hooking up the bike to the test stand so now I am very close to having everything ready for a test start. I just have to fit the spark plug to the jet pipe to ignite the preheat propane. (a better location than in the combustor for several reasons IMO)

The 3D printer made itself useful again when I printed an exhaust cone for the leaf blower that fits snugly up against the compressor intake.

Cheers!
/Anders
Mobacken Racing

Turbine junkie

Ignore
« Reply #1717 on: September 26, 2017, 03:36:25 PM »

Tonight I shortened the oil pressure line as much as possible to get a true pressure reading from the sensor, I also fitted a spark plug boss to the jet pipe so that I won´t need a torch to light off the preheat.

Here it is installed, a few years ago I bought a couple of really small spark plugs from Ebay and one of those fitted perfectly.

Besides that I connected the P2 gauge and tested the preheat with oil pressure and the leaf blower at full speed, so now the engine is ready for a new test run!

I´ll try go fit a strip of reflective tape on the compressor hub so that I can measure RPM with the handheld tacho at different P2 settings, I´ll also give the load cell calibration another try because it would be very valuable to know how much thrust the engine is putting out at different P2´s.

Cheers!
/Anders
Mobacken Racing

Turbine junkie

Ignore
« Reply #1718 on: October 01, 2017, 04:22:49 PM »

I ran the engine again today with some assistance from my friends in Svarthålet Racing.

The engine started and ran perfectly until the oil pressure dropped and tripped the pressure switch. Whatta?!?!

My friends had brought a whole bag of tools so they measured the amperage draw over the battery while I ran the engine, turned out that the combined draw was close to 45A! No wonder that the engine shuts down as soon as the fuel pump starts to run hard around 2 bar P2...

I am thrilled to have found this problem at last, it has haunted me for several years so now I should be able to fix it by rewiring the bike and get me a better battery. Except for this the engine runs incredibly smooth, in this pic the engine is running at 1bar P2 and not a sign of color in the jetpipe!

During the last test run the return pump suddenly failed and caused a spray of burning oil out of the exhaust, no harm done except that my workshop rug won´t ever smell the same again... Smiley

Ooops, I almost forgot the video.

Cheers!
/Anders
manta22

What, me worry?

Ignore
« Reply #1719 on: October 01, 2017, 04:41:05 PM »

Anders;

It is very risky to run an engine indoors. One of the members of this forum burned his garage and his Camaro when the carburetor backfired.  tongue

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Mobacken Racing

Turbine junkie

Ignore
« Reply #1720 on: October 01, 2017, 05:00:00 PM »

Anders;

It is very risky to run an engine indoors. One of the members of this forum burned his garage and his Camaro when the carburetor backfired.  tongue

That is a good reminder Neil, unfortunately my engine stand weighs a ton so I just have to keep an eye out and lots of fire extinguishers nearby.

The cat was looking a bit worried though... Smiley

Cheers!
/Anders
Mobacken Racing

Turbine junkie

Ignore
« Reply #1721 on: October 02, 2017, 04:25:00 AM »

nanno
New folks

Ignore
« Reply #1722 on: October 02, 2017, 06:05:40 AM »

The cat was looking a bit worried though... Smiley

Clever Kitty  grin
WOODY@DDLLC

It's GONE ......... the Ohio Mile! :-(

Ignore
« Reply #1723 on: October 02, 2017, 09:27:09 AM »

Anders, I don't care what the cat says!! angry shocked grin
You have the coolest hottest and fastest leaf shredder in the world!  cheers cheers

All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz
Mobacken Racing

Turbine junkie

Ignore
« Reply #1724 on: October 02, 2017, 11:04:14 PM »

Anders, I don't care what the cat says!! angry shocked grin
You have the coolest hottest and fastest leaf shredder in the world!  cheers cheers

Don´t forget loudest, it puts out a roar even at these moderate RPM´s that puts the old JU-01 to shame. I am really eager to hear (and feel!) what it sounds like at full throttle. cool
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 [115] 116 117   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: