Author Topic: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build  (Read 931059 times)

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
Re: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build
« Reply #1680 on: July 12, 2017, 03:22:04 PM »
Thanks Sparky! :-)

I started my new JU-02 bike engine today!!!!! :cheers:

https://youtu.be/5oNiEQt2z2I

It runs perfect with very cold temperatures, so plenty of room for more power later by narrowing down the jet pipe. 8-)

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #1681 on: July 12, 2017, 03:28:46 PM »
Amazing work Anders. Well done!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1682 on: July 12, 2017, 04:12:17 PM »
Amazing work Anders. Well done!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Thank you Pete!

I am very glad and a bit surprised that it all went so well without fuel leaks or bad combustion, but I guess I made most of the mistakes while building JU-01 and learned from them. Any major design flaws will show when I take her higher up in revs. This was only a high idle, it is designed to run at twice the boost pressure, 4 bar.  :-)

/Anders

Offline nanno

• New folks
« Reply #1683 on: July 13, 2017, 04:36:46 AM »
Gorgeous! Just one thing irritates me (even though I think, I already know the answer): You don't seem to wear hearing protection in the video? Is it that much quieter on the induction side or were you just too excited to get going? (No offense, just wondering... I only know turbine from planes and they are much larger obviously.)

Cheers,
Greg

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1684 on: July 13, 2017, 04:53:56 AM »
Gorgeous! Just one thing irritates me (even though I think, I already know the answer): You don't seem to wear hearing protection in the video? Is it that much quieter on the induction side or were you just too excited to get going? (No offense, just wondering... I only know turbine from planes and they are much larger obviously.)

Cheers,
Greg

It is hard to see but I am using foam plugs, I wouldnt want to be near a running turbine without ear protection since the compressor whine is painful.

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1685 on: July 22, 2017, 03:52:31 PM »
Last night I finally decided to build a side stand for the bike, it was getting tiresome to be without one since my friends had to carry the paddock stand around all day long at the races so I could get off the bike before and after a run.

As you can see it is foldable and secures properly in both positions, I wouldn´t want it to drop down during a run...

This morning I put a couple of coats of paint on it, so now it melt in with the rest of the bike pretty well.

As you could see on the previous picture I took the bike out to get some sunshine after almost a whole year in the workshop, the side stand will work fine despite the lack of a wide plate at the end since I will only have the bike standing in the shade below the race tent on concrete or asphalt. No wet lawns for it to sink into. :)

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1686 on: July 23, 2017, 05:47:38 PM »
I modified the bike towing cart today so I can use my girls quad to tow the bike, Agnes tested it around the lawn and it passed the quality control. :)

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1687 on: July 23, 2017, 07:32:40 PM »
Very cute!  Is she a future ice racer?

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1688 on: July 23, 2017, 11:59:14 PM »
Very cute!  Is she a future ice racer?

Judging from the style she rides the quad she might very well be. :-D

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1689 on: August 06, 2017, 03:01:46 PM »
I started the bike today to see if everything is ok for One Mile, I didn´t have a chance to test the water injection since the bike almost took off at high idle despite a locked rear brake. :)

https://youtu.be/vuugCSB3NuQ

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline rgdavid

• fancy metalwork
« Reply #1690 on: August 06, 2017, 06:14:02 PM »
Anders, what was the little flame at the turbine at the end when you shut down ?

I love the way your family walks by your bike as though its normal to have a turbine monster in the garden,

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1691 on: August 07, 2017, 01:41:02 AM »
Anders, what was the little flame at the turbine at the end when you shut down ?

I love the way your family walks by your bike as though its normal to have a turbine monster in the garden,

You mean the little blink just when I shut the engine off? Probably just some kero or oil catching fire, nothing to worry about.

They are pretty used to practically everything that makes noise and burns by now, so the future suitors will have a hard time trying to impress my daughters. :)

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #1692 on: August 07, 2017, 10:56:53 PM »

Anders - I hope you do well at the mile race.
Question: Are those billowing white clouds vaporized kerosene or whatever fuel you use? Is that flammable?

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1693 on: August 08, 2017, 11:14:42 AM »

Anders - I hope you do well at the mile race.
Question: Are those billowing white clouds vaporized kerosene or whatever fuel you use? Is that flammable?

Don

Thanks Don!

Yup, it is kero that didn´t ignite during the adjustment of idle fuel flow. We get those clouds all the time with the afterburning jets and they don´t seem to hold enough fuel to be ignitable.

Once everything is tuned in the bike starts effortlessly without the flame and smoke show. :)

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1694 on: August 30, 2017, 07:42:01 AM »
Only a few days left now before One Mile, I am currently sorting out what I need to bring and getting my head around the upcoming runs.

The plan is to do a full throttle run without water injection first and see how the winter mods will affect the performance, hopefully I´ll do a 300+ km/h run. After that I will activate the water injection and if it seems to work when testing it in the pits (I have never tried the water injection) I will do a second run with as much water as I dare and see how it goes. :)

I hope to gain some HP with water so if the engine runs fine I might be able to up the top speed 10-15km/h with it. If so I am getting very close to the 200mph mark so if there is time left I can work on launching the bike at higher boost to get the speeds up faster.

Fun fun fun! Wish me luck! :)

Cheers!
/Anders