Author Topic: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build  (Read 931093 times)

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
Re: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build
« Reply #1665 on: May 31, 2017, 04:44:50 PM »
I have been curious about the condition of the gearbox since it has been run hard for two years now, if the gear loads are excessive it would show by now so I decided to take an oil sample from the gearbox sump where all of the crap would pool up.

Since I am responsible for, among other things, the hydraulic systems at work I have all the equipment needed to run a test.

With 25ml of oil sampled through 0.8micron paper I could check it with a microscope to see what sort of stuff that got caught.

I was expecting all sorts of crap since I run the oil system without a proper oil filter, but I was pleasantly surprised to find very little metal particles. This indicates that the wear on the gear mesh is acceptable.

The sample paper looks much worse to the naked eye than it does in the microscope, the dullness and occational black dot is most likely from the new tank foam I filled the oil and fuel tanks with. Nothing even close to being large enough to clog up an oil port so it is all ok. I have taken samples from gearboxes with worn cogs and the papers look like they are chromed from all the metal particles on it... :)

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1666 on: June 06, 2017, 12:50:07 PM »
Now it is just the boring job of wiring the test stand up left to do...

I welded together two AN6 fittings to connect the JU-02 oil line to the bike.

It ended up like this:

I connected the preheat module and adjusted it so the glow plug gets to heat up for 10 seconds before the propane solenoid opens.

I also connected the load cell, it reacts when the engine is pushed forwards but I need to do some head scratching to figure out the badly translated manual in order to calibrate it against a known force.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline bbarn

« Reply #1667 on: June 06, 2017, 12:58:04 PM »
Grab some weights from your weight-lifting kit and place them on the cell. You can interpolate the results in Excel to get what you need. Use increments like 10,25,50,100,110,125...static weights then plot the data out in Excel.

Remember, instructions are just another man's idea on how to do something!  :-D

I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1668 on: June 06, 2017, 01:09:11 PM »
Tangent:  I took a course when I was at Tech - in instruction writing.  Dang, is it way harder than I thought and to this day respect well-written instructions.  And I don't hold back when I find crappy ones, either.  Ask Nancy. :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1669 on: June 06, 2017, 04:08:17 PM »
bbarn: I need to put the force along the turbine shaft axis if the reading is to be correct, so a length of rope around the jet pipe and an accurate  luggage scale should do the trick. :)

I did a quick test with the 2.5kg propane regulator and the JU-02 engine spins up really nicely with full oil pressure and the leaf blower! No signs of rubbing despite a prolonged preheat cycle which got the engine warm and cosy.

As soon as I get the P2 gauge and fittings I´ve ordered I think the JU-02 is ready to take its first stumbling steps. :)

One thing that didn´t work as planned was the glow plug igniter, I can´t get it to light off the propane no matter what propane flow I am testing so I think that I will fit a spark plug boss to the engine cover the next time I take it apart. Until then I will simply light the propane through the jetpipe with a torch.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline maj

« Reply #1670 on: June 06, 2017, 05:30:18 PM »
Do you have a bbq ignitor 

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1671 on: June 07, 2017, 03:32:13 PM »
I couldn´t wait for the P2 gauge to arrive so I kicked open the shed doors and gave her a spin this evening! :)

As you can hear either the compressor or the turbine wheel started to rub its casing due to the heat expansion of the internal engine parts. I will disassemble the engine and locate the rubbing area and increase the clearances at that spot a bit. All part of the usual R&D, nothing to worry about. :)

https://youtu.be/0Eni2dMpUbU

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1672 on: June 07, 2017, 03:38:28 PM »
JUMPIN' JEHOSOPHAT, Anders, you stand there smiling while flames are flying around the shop and the person holding the camera jumps and you just calmly hold the torch in your hand light it for even more flames.

No we can understand your hairdo -- what'd it look like before you singed it all off? :evil:

Best wishes - grand to hear the engine spin for the first time.  Thanks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1673 on: June 07, 2017, 04:06:35 PM »
Impressive, Anders!   :cheers:

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #1674 on: June 07, 2017, 04:28:30 PM »
Anders, you just continue to amaze! Well done.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1675 on: June 07, 2017, 04:40:40 PM »
Thanks guys! Although the video contained little to be amazed of, just some fire and a grinding halt for the turbine wheel... :)

Next time I hope she is a runner.

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1676 on: June 07, 2017, 05:26:06 PM »
I just got back in from pulling the engine cover off to find out what caused the rub, the kero smoke had cleared a bit while I was drinking tea and uploading the video. :)

The turbine wheel inducer has rubbed at one spot as you can see.

In the turbine cover there are two slightly protruding spots that has cased the rub, it looks like this is some burr from the combustor that has come lose and got stuck between the blades and the cover. If it would have been a tight tolerance the rub shouldn´t have occured in two small spots like that, I´ll grind the spots away and measure the cold clearance again.

Before I assemble the engine again I need to come up with a way of removing the engine cover easily, the silicone O-ring makes it difficult to do by hand so I need to make some kind of tool for it. I´ll also add a spark plug boss.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1677 on: June 12, 2017, 04:50:06 PM »
I cleaned up the turbine cover today.

While I had the engine apart I welded two stainless M10 nuts to the engine cover so I could make a puller for it, now it is very easy to remove the cover.

I assembled the engine again so now I am just waiting for a pressure gauge fitting to arrive before I can do another test start, some of the front cover screws aren´t aligning perfectly with their threaded holes so for the initial low P2 runs I´ve decided to run without them and fix the aligning the next time I have the engine apart.

Cheers!
/Anders
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 04:56:47 PM by Mobacken Racing »

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #1678 on: June 13, 2017, 09:46:53 AM »
Love it!!
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1679 on: June 13, 2017, 10:05:45 AM »
 :-D Anders  you inspire us  :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!