Author Topic: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build  (Read 930913 times)

Offline Speed Limit 1000

Re: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build
« Reply #1650 on: April 24, 2017, 09:21:49 PM »
It looks like a birthday cake :cheers:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1651 on: April 25, 2017, 04:48:48 PM »
It looks like a birthday cake :cheers:

:-D

I picked up a new transistor today and replaced the old weak one. With the transistor in place I tested the fuel system with a 1.5mm restriction on the fuel line and got a great throttle response all the way up to 8kg fuel pressure, problem solved in other words! :)

By the way, if you are onto Facebook make sure to follow "Mobacken Racing", that is where we post much of the more interesting jet related things we do. :)

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1652 on: April 26, 2017, 03:30:55 PM »
I was at home today taking care of a slightly ill daughter, while she was playing with this and that I drew up a potentiometer housing and 3D printed it.

I will connect it to the Arduino to set the maximum fuel pump RPM, this will allow me to twist the throttle all the way to the stop while racing without risking to overspeed the engine. A very useful feature since I then can forus more on the road and less on the dashboard. :)

Olov has sent me an updated Arduino code that I will upload into the PWM controller tomorrow, after that I will do some serious fuel pump testing to see that everything works ok before I start the bike again. A single comma at the wrong place in the code could result in an engine runaway scenario during startup and that isn´t very fun. Been there done that... :)

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1653 on: April 26, 2017, 03:43:02 PM »
Always a good thing:  "... A very useful feature since I then can forus more on the road and less on the dashboard."

Going down the race track is not a time to be thinking about how you can control engine overspeeds.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1654 on: April 26, 2017, 04:08:00 PM »
Always a good thing:  "... A very useful feature since I then can forus more on the road and less on the dashboard."

Going down the race track is not a time to be thinking about how you can control engine overspeeds.

That is why I am totally satisfied with running the "slow" mile tracks while sorting out the bike, during engine development about 80% of my attention is on the exhaust temp and boost gauge and the rest on where I am going...

Funny thing that you would post at this moment, I am just now watching you Jon talking about the Bonneville toilets and your zzr1400! :-)

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #1655 on: April 26, 2017, 07:06:32 PM »
It must be nice to hear Jon talking about things other than Nancy.  I wasn't sure he had that many other interests.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline salt27

« Reply #1656 on: April 26, 2017, 08:29:11 PM »
Anders said "A single comma at the wrong place in the code could result in an engine runaway"...

I would have SSS (the comma cop) do the double checking.    :evil:

Sorry Jon, I couldn't help myself.    :roll:
As always, amazing work Anders.   :cheers:

Don

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1657 on: April 27, 2017, 04:51:11 PM »
Thanks Don!

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1658 on: April 30, 2017, 02:36:04 AM »
Olov helped me to upload the new Arduino code into the throttle module, as usual my bloody PC couldn´t find any COM ports when I tried to myself so I asked him to do it before I would start yelling and screaming. Not an unusual sight when I try to do anything on a computer... :)

I also drew up a better looking potentiometer cover and started printing before I got to bed last night.

Now it looks the same as the throttle and ignition boxes.

The function is flawless, now I can adjust both the fuel pump idle revs and its max revs. For JU-01 I will probably have to run the pump flat out to get enough fuel into the engine through the 0.7mm injectors but JU-02 has the larger ones so once it is installed in the bike I will need to restrict the full throttle flow to avoid overrevving it.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #1659 on: May 04, 2017, 12:40:00 AM »
Olov helped me to upload the new Arduino code into the throttle module, as usual my bloody PC couldn´t find any COM ports when I tried to myself so I asked him to do it before I would start yelling and screaming. Not an unusual sight when I try to do anything on a computer... :)

I also drew up a better looking potentiometer cover and started printing before I got to bed last night.

Now it looks the same as the throttle and ignition boxes.

The function is flawless, now I can adjust both the fuel pump idle revs and its max revs. For JU-01 I will probably have to run the pump flat out to get enough fuel into the engine through the 0.7mm injectors but JU-02 has the larger ones so once it is installed in the bike I will need to restrict the full throttle flow to avoid overrevving it.

Cheers!
/Anders

I also have a lot of issues with my pc getting confused over which port number my arduinos are plugged into. Very frustrating!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1660 on: May 04, 2017, 04:28:58 PM »
I also have a lot of issues with my pc getting confused over which port number my arduinos are plugged into. Very frustrating!

Frustrating indeed, especially if you like me have no idea what to do about it except smashing the computer to pieces... :-)

I just got back home from a friend where we filled up my scuba bottles, now I should have air for the entire race season! :)

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1661 on: May 04, 2017, 07:44:48 PM »

Why does my instant reaction to the pic of all those bottles - remind me of the time Nancy and I were stopped at the end of the Mackinac Bridge by troopers inquiring about the 23' torpedo sticking out the back of the 22' truck's back door. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #1662 on: May 05, 2017, 10:05:05 AM »
My first thought was scuba gear, yeah right - more like a Lingonberry moonshine run!  :-D :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1663 on: May 22, 2017, 04:42:30 PM »
I hooked JU-02 up to the bike oil pump today, I use a separate scavenge pump to simplify things a bit. It works just fine with not a single drop of oil coming out the engine cover drain. Sweet! :)

https://youtu.be/RQmHgtwbQRw

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1664 on: May 31, 2017, 04:27:18 PM »
Last night I continued building the test stand, a crude dashboard for the preheat system was made out of aluminum sheet.

The idea is to have a switch wired both to a relay which operates the glow plug and to a timer that opens a propane gas solenoid valve once the plug has had time to heat up properly.

Not very fancy but functional, it is no use overdoing the test stand since I will make a new housing for the preheat when I am installing it in the bike.

I also welded a nut to the jet pipe in which the temperature probe will sit, the idea is to use the bikes oil system and fuel pump but have separate P2 and TOT gauges on the test stand and a separate test stand mounted PWM controller (you can see it below the load cell gauge in the previous pic) for the fuel pump so I won´t have to mess with the bike PWM settings.

Cheers!
/Anders