Author Topic: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build  (Read 931073 times)

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
Re: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build
« Reply #165 on: July 10, 2013, 07:59:42 PM »
Nice Anders  :cheers: I know some are glad to see the straps gone  :-D
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #166 on: July 11, 2013, 02:03:41 AM »
Nice Anders  :cheers: I know some are glad to see the straps gone  :-D

Thanks!  :-)

I guess so, I try hard to keep in mind that every single part on the bike must survive hours of bouncing around at high speed down bumpy tracks. It wouldn´t be very fun to drop and run over the oil tank at >200mph...... :-o

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #167 on: July 17, 2013, 08:27:16 AM »
I have a question about the foot pegs, do they need to be foldable or can they be directly welded to the chassis?

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #168 on: July 19, 2013, 05:23:49 AM »
Last night I finally had time to get some stuff done on the bike again, I´ve been away at work for a week so the fingers were itching bad from being away from the tig welder and mill for so long. :)

I got a new gas lens kit for the tig torch which I intended to try out while finishing off the fuel tank mounts.

Two aluminum brackets were made to fit as the front mounts on the tank.

The patient is laying down and ready for surgery! :)

The gas lens was an improvement, not bad since it only cost me a couple of bucks on Ebay.

Here the mounts are in place and the tank is cooling down after welding.

While waiting for the tank to cool down I made a pair of steel brackets for the frame.

Fixing everything for welding, finally I will get rid of the last strap! :)

The tank in place, the only things left to do on the tanks are to weld some brackets to the side of the tanks that the oil suction hose will be strapped to and make a fitting on top of the oil tank for the gearbox oil drain.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #169 on: July 19, 2013, 02:16:57 PM »
Great work Anders!  :cheers: I love all the lines. Makes it look like a rocket ship!

As far as your musical taste goes, I too rely on a little Sepultura to keep the build progressing!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #170 on: July 19, 2013, 04:17:28 PM »
Thanks! I would´t want to sum up just how much cash that is invested in those damn AN couplings though, one here and a couple there and suddenly the wallet is empty... :-D

Workshop music for me is very much mood based, metal one day and Toy Dolls (brittish punk band) the next. Add some bluegrass and blues to the mix and you have one happy Anders. :-)

I´ll bump the previous question about the foot pegs, does anyone know if they have to be foldable or not?

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #171 on: July 19, 2013, 06:16:47 PM »
I have fixed pegs on my Modified bike that I run at the BUB trials on the salt.  You may want to use temporary pegs with clamps until you KNOW when they should be after a test run.........or three :|
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline maj

« Reply #172 on: July 19, 2013, 06:48:27 PM »
We switched to folding pegs for one of the associations regulations think it may be FIM , but had been fine with solid pegs for several yrs before that 

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #173 on: July 20, 2013, 12:36:52 AM »
Thanks for the answers, a good idea about the movable pegs so I can find the right riding position. Not easy to figure out by dry riding it in the workshop.

Offline JimL

« Reply #174 on: July 20, 2013, 09:46:50 AM »
Sometimes a rigid peg is the easiest mount for a removeable sidestand in the staging lanes.  You will spend more time pushing slowly forward in the lanes, than you will riding.

Also, I have built bikes with even footpegs and others with goofy-foot pegs.  Goofy-foot can be easier to ride when the bike is super low.

Thank you for this build diary, I am really enjoying it.
JimL

« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 12:33:57 PM by JimL »

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #175 on: July 21, 2013, 05:49:07 PM »
Thanks Jim, I´ll keep that in mind for when I build the pegs.

I made some progress today by the way, first I made some brackets for the battery mount and welded them in place.

I will think a bit more about the battery box before I do something stupid and can´t get the gearbox out of the frame any more, most likely a removable box properly heat shielded so the battery won´t blow up from the heat generated by the exhaust.

Next up was to fit the wind screen so I can take measurements for the dashboard, I drilled a row of 2.5mm holes around the lower edge on the screen and matching 4mm holes in the fairing. The idea was to fit a zip tie through the windscreen hole, down through the 4mm hole in the fairing, around the aluminum rod you can see in the picture below and up again through the same 4mm hole.

This way I can tighten the zip tie hard without cracking the glass fiber fairing, some silicone around the gap between the windscreen and fairing later will do the trick.

Before I called it an evening I started making the chain adjusters, but I´ll get back to them in the next post after I have made some more progress.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #176 on: July 21, 2013, 05:59:58 PM »
Ansers, this  build is sooo exciting, and it's coming along nicely! :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #177 on: July 21, 2013, 09:31:11 PM »
A welder needs quality music! :)

you guys don't get enough sunlight :roll:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #178 on: July 22, 2013, 12:28:13 PM »
Every one to his own taste but when I'm working in the shop I prefer some Tal Farlow on the stereo system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SagCCeZXZo

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #179 on: July 22, 2013, 03:51:57 PM »
Every one to his own taste but when I'm working in the shop I prefer some Tal Farlow on the stereo system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SagCCeZXZo

I must admit that I´ve had a period of listening to experimental jazz while I was hooked on High end audio, but I wouldn´t get much done in the workshop with that kind of music on the stereo. :-)