Author Topic: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build  (Read 930991 times)

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
Re: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build
« Reply #1530 on: January 13, 2017, 04:01:22 PM »
The new 0w30 oil arrived today, it is a bit early yet to say for sure but the cold oil pressure is definitively lower now than before.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1531 on: January 15, 2017, 02:36:13 PM »
I´ve spent a couple of hours on making a better housing for the tacho LED diodes with a stainless bracket.

The diodes were soldered in place and the 3D printed housing was epoxy glued to the stainless bracket.

Now I could just fit everything and confirm that it works perfectly. Or not...

The old working diode bracket must have been pure luck, I found that the diodes needed to be in perfect alignment with both each other and the reflective surface on the compressor nut in order to work. I tinkered with it for half an hour before I lost my patience and removed the whole tachometer assembly from the bike so I will never again fool myself into trying to fix it.

So now I had a hole in the dashboard that needed to be filled, I decided to refit the old compressor discharge gauge that I used earlier. The sensor was already fitted to the diffuser housing so I just had to draw up and 3D print a frame for the temp gauge that is somewhat smaller than the hole in the dashboard.

I also fixed the gearbox tachometer with two screws so it won´t fall out again like it did at One Mile last summer.

On a side note I found that my oldest daughter Ella is one hell of a quad rider, I can´t remember that I did donuts at 6 years of age. :)

https://youtu.be/xDYZWqpylJs

Cheers!

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #1532 on: January 15, 2017, 04:12:29 PM »
Precious :-) :-) :-)............to Ella :wink:

She's got me beat :-D :-D :-D
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #1533 on: January 15, 2017, 10:56:42 PM »
Ella just made my day !!  :-D :-D :-D
Mike in Tacoma

"aww, what the hell - let's just do it".............

Bike #833
100cc A/G, A/F and APS/G (in 2019)

Offline salt27

« Reply #1534 on: January 15, 2017, 11:11:36 PM »
You're a good dad Anders.   

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #1535 on: January 15, 2017, 11:46:41 PM »
That really makes me smile.  How many years before she can go landspeed racing?

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1536 on: January 16, 2017, 05:04:44 PM »
Thanks guys, I´ll tell her that you liked her driving. She´ll love that! :)

The bike is more or less ready to be test started as soon as the weather gets a bit cosier, so I will spend my workshop evenings on JU-02 until then.

Last time I was just about to fasten the combustor to the NGV wall, so I made a handful of stainless brackets with M5 threaded holes and welded to the NGV.

With the brackets in place I could mark the holes on the combustor liner, drill them and mark the contour so I could remove the excess.

After some work with the angle grinder it looked like this.

And fitted together it looked like this.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #1537 on: January 16, 2017, 07:12:36 PM »
There is no greater joy in this world than seeing kids out there "doin`it", the future of motorcycling is assured  :-) 8-)
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1538 on: January 17, 2017, 04:08:08 PM »
There is no greater joy in this world than seeing kids out there "doin`it", the future of motorcycling is assured  :-) 8-)

I second that, it breaks my heart so see kids nowadays (being barely more than a kid myself at 35 years of age...) waste their time in front of computer games and mobile phones instead of doing anything for real whatever it might be.

The last decade this has really become a problem, at least here in Sweden. 9 out of 10 school kids who do their work training at our company (district heating plant) are completely and utterly useless. They have no practical experience in anything at all and no interest in doing a good job whatsoever, they think that if they just show up they´ve earned their pay. Let them out of sight for 5 minutes and you find them sitting on their arses waiting for god knows what, no matter how much work they have left to do.

Oh well.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1539 on: January 17, 2017, 04:41:58 PM »
I think it's a problem everywhere, Anders. Have you ever read the H G Wells novel "The Time Machine"?

In it, the main character goes into the future and finds that the population of Earth has evolved into two distinct cultures- the Moorlocks, who live in a subterranean world and control all the machinery that provides the Garden of Eden-like conditions on the surface. There, the Eloi are like children, playing all day with no cares at all. I won't spoil it but suffice it to say it does not work well for the Eloi.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1540 on: January 17, 2017, 05:06:10 PM »
Thanks for the book suggestion Neil, it sounds like an interesting break from all the English fantasy I usually read.

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #1541 on: January 17, 2017, 05:24:41 PM »
    When I get around the Grandkids today this is kind of how I feel.
    Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1542 on: January 17, 2017, 05:30:09 PM »
Didja, Doug?  It's documented someplace in my family jhistory - that when I was three or so I was wandering around Bompa and Bomma's house, spied a Coke bottle that was mostly full of some dark liquid, and took a big drink.

And now you know what (might have) happened to make me like this.  'Twas dirtied turpentine - used from cleaning paint brushes.  Ah, yeah, whatever.  So the story goes on that they took me to see Doc Corey and he checked me a bit - and said that I'd probably have a hangover for a day or two but that I should be okay.  He sent Mom and me home.

Think that'd happen in today's world? :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #1543 on: January 17, 2017, 05:39:00 PM »
   They'd have you on IV's for an obligatory three day stay.
  Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1544 on: January 17, 2017, 07:45:04 PM »
Didja, Doug?  It's documented someplace in my family jhistory - that when I was three or so I was wandering around Bompa and Bomma's house, spied a Coke bottle that was mostly full of some dark liquid, and took a big drink.

And now you know what (might have) happened to make me like this.  'Twas dirtied turpentine - used from cleaning paint brushes.  Ah, yeah, whatever.  So the story goes on that they took me to see Doc Corey and he checked me a bit - and said that I'd probably have a hangover for a day or two but that I should be okay.  He sent Mom and me home.

Think that'd happen in today's world? :roll:

How did they get the paint brushes down that little hole, Jon?  :-D