Author Topic: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build  (Read 931054 times)

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
Re: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build
« Reply #1425 on: September 26, 2016, 05:17:10 PM »
The idea was to go for a long evening run tonight but since I seem to have a cold coming I decided to spend the evening in the workshop instead, good thing to have many different interests.

I built a larger work table so I can store all of the bike parts without having to make a pile of them, after that it was time to start undressing the old lady. :)

Almost there, here I am just about to remove the JU-01 and air box from the frame.

I will do a longer post about the modifications I have planned for the bike this winter, there are several major jobs to be done that will hopefully improve most everything about the bike. :)

An hour later the work table was getting crowded.

The engine has suffered from a minor FOD as you can see, but no big deal. I´ll blend it out with a small file later.

No signs of overheating inside the engine, and the propane flame test showed only one injector (12 o´clock) that was partially blocked.

The turbine wheel and NGV looks very healthy as well, the JU-01 seem to be one sturdy engine! :)

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline nanno

• New folks
« Reply #1426 on: October 03, 2016, 03:06:12 AM »
JU-01 seems to have beded in nicely!  8-)

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1427 on: October 05, 2016, 05:23:02 PM »
JU-01 seems to have beded in nicely!  8-)

It sure has, some minor nicks and dents is nothing to worry about. It´s all part of growing up. :-)

After I got rid of the air intake tunnel I needed to figure out another thingie to mount the pumps and stuff to. I also wanted to get everything inside the frame instead of hanging off the sides of the bike, then I can continue the front fairing all the way down to the tanks which should improve the aerodynamics.

I cut out an aluminum sheet and bent to shape, it will act both as a mounting point and a shield for the engine so no sand or other particles gets thrown from the front wheel into the compressor intake.

With the shield in place it was time to start figuring out where to place everything, the oil pump got the same placement as before.

The oil pressure regulator and fuel pump got a much better location than before, much easier to spot leaks and work with them now.

I think the two scavenge pumps will fit between the two underhung tanks, that wound get them completely out of the way for the engine which would be great. I just have to come up with a bracket for them that holds them in place, will try to figure something out tomorrow.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #1428 on: October 05, 2016, 09:04:42 PM »
As always quality work.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1429 on: October 07, 2016, 04:51:44 PM »
Thanks Glen! :-)

After a delicious dinner at work with the swedish national food Surströmming (fermented herring) I spent a couple of hours in the workshop making brackets for the scavenge pumps.

After lots of thinking and testing I managed to fit the pumps symmetrical so the AN fittings won´t rub the tanks or reach below the underside of the tanks, it was a tight fit but I pulled it off.

I am very glad that I could fit the pumps here, lots of space saved in front of the engine now!

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1430 on: October 07, 2016, 06:09:33 PM »
Anders, about that fermented herring meal -- does your company serve that as punishment?  I am pretty sure that's how we'd view such fare here.  I grew up visiting my Swedish grandparents and having hardtack and boiled eggs and raw herring for Sunday brunch.   :-o

No, let me rephrase that.   There's no way that I would have eaten that stuff, so no doubt my grandmother (Margaretha Olga Hedvig Ingrid Andreasson, of Gothenburg around 1891) fed me more traditionally American food -- like oatmeal. :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1431 on: October 08, 2016, 02:24:29 PM »
Anders, about that fermented herring meal -- does your company serve that as punishment?  I am pretty sure that's how we'd view such fare here.  I grew up visiting my Swedish grandparents and having hardtack and boiled eggs and raw herring for Sunday brunch.   :-o

No, let me rephrase that.   There's no way that I would have eaten that stuff, so no doubt my grandmother (Margaretha Olga Hedvig Ingrid Andreasson, of Gothenburg around 1891) fed me more traditionally American food -- like oatmeal. :roll:

Are you serious Jon? Fermented herring, chopped onion, boiled and cut potatoes and creme freche wrapped in newly made flatbread is gods greatest gift to mankind. Makes my mouth water just by thinking about it.

Most people try fermented herring in the same fashion they would do a skinny dip in an winter lake or pull a nose hair, they eat one whole, gag and laugh about it later. Done properly though the slightly sour and sparkly taste blends perfectly with the rest of the ingredients in the flatbread. After all it isn´t "rotten fish" like some say, it is fermented just like beer.

You know what Jon, I´ll try to smuggle a can of Oskars Surströmming with me when I head for Bonneville so we can have a late night party on the salt celebrating our Swedish heritage.  :-)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 02:26:55 PM by Mobacken Racing »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #1432 on: October 08, 2016, 03:01:25 PM »
Great news, Anders.  I'll look forward to it -- but - - - Oh, wait a minute.  I think we've already got dinner plans that evening.  We'll have to pass, okay? :wink:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1433 on: October 08, 2016, 04:24:09 PM »
Great news, Anders.  I'll look forward to it -- but - - - Oh, wait a minute.  I think we've already got dinner plans that evening.  We'll have to pass, okay? :wink:

Ha ha! :-D

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #1434 on: October 08, 2016, 05:32:05 PM »
By the way -- I believe I'm probably the only person in Michigan's Upper Peninsula that wore a Mobacken Racing t-shirt to WalMart today.  How's that for being a fashion plate?

Yeah, I know -- Nancy looks far better in one of 'em.  Better still without one. :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1435 on: October 09, 2016, 01:56:57 AM »
By the way -- I believe I'm probably the only person in Michigan's Upper Peninsula that wore a Mobacken Racing t-shirt to WalMart today.  How's that for being a fashion plate?

Yeah, I know -- Nancy looks far better in one of 'em.  Better still without one. :roll:

I can´t believe Nancy let you outdoors with that chick magnet on you, Olov and I have had to hire a broom lady to follow us around town to sweep up the snail tracks random women start leaving after seeing the t-shirts.

It feels like the right thing to do since the tracks are quite slippery and old people might slip on them and hurt themselves.

:-D

Offline salt27

« Reply #1436 on: October 17, 2016, 11:31:04 AM »
Happy Birthday Anders.    :cheers:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #1437 on: October 17, 2016, 02:53:17 PM »
Anders,
Happy Birthday
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1438 on: October 17, 2016, 04:20:00 PM »
Thanks guys! 8-)

I spent my birthday at home with an ill daughter, nothing serious so we had a good time putting most of the outdoor summer stuff away and doing some rimfire plinking with my 10/22 in the back yard.

On the turbine bike department I am waiting for a load of stuff I´ve ordered to make a new and better throttle arrangement, until then I plan to get an AN fitting for a fuel pressure sensor made among some other stuff.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline salt27

« Reply #1439 on: October 17, 2016, 04:37:52 PM »
Thanks guys! 8-)

I spent my birthday at home with an ill daughter, nothing serious so we had a good time putting most of the outdoor summer stuff away and doing some rimfire plinking with my 10/22 in the back yard.

On the turbine bike department I am waiting for a load of stuff I´ve ordered to make a new and better throttle arrangement, until then I plan to get an AN fitting for a fuel pressure sensor made among some other stuff.

Cheers!
/Anders

Anders, around here 22 ammo has been hard to find and when you do the price is double what it used to be.

It makes no since to me because assault weapon ammo is easy to find.

The youth are the ones who are being deprived.

Wait a minute, maybe it does make since.   :x

Don