Author Topic: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build  (Read 930975 times)

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
Re: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build
« Reply #135 on: June 05, 2013, 02:00:07 PM »
Great looking clamps. Nice to see Slim's filter missed the Ford word :-o

May haps it got lost in the translation.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #136 on: June 05, 2013, 02:25:30 PM »
Hunh -- I thought I had that one covered.  Lemme go check -- and that'll teach you to let me know when something is missing. :evil: :evil:

Later - by a couple of minutes:

The "ford" word is in there as Fiat -- but I'd selected the button so the machine only looks for complete words but not when the "naughty" word is a portion of a longer word.  That's the case here.  It brings to mind the hassle that one of the search engines (I think it was one of them) when their dirty word filters wouldn't allow the name of that town in North Lincolnshire, England.  Let's see if one of youse guys can figure it out.  As a hint -- they've got a well-known football (soccer to Americans) team.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 02:31:43 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Graham in Aus

« Reply #137 on: June 05, 2013, 11:52:01 PM »

Offline Tofu

• New folks
« Reply #138 on: June 06, 2013, 08:43:52 AM »
I was born and lived in that particular town for 27 years. Written on one of the road signs was "If Typhoo put the tea in Britain who put the **** in S****horpe".

Love the build, the milling work makes me very envious.
Tofu

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #139 on: June 24, 2013, 05:41:40 PM »
Thanks guys! :-)

Mats Eriksson who runs ME Racing (pro mod dragracer here in Sweden) has donated 4.5 meter 0.5" chromemoly tubing for the build, thanks a lot!

Tonight I got a bit further with the fuel tank, it was a bit tricky to streamline the front of the tank but I think it will turn out ok in the end. First I tacked the bottom piece in place to have something to relate to.

Rolling the front of the fuel tank.

After that I cut it to shape.

Next up was to weld it to the tank and get the angle right so the radiuses of the tank and the front wheel align.

One more piece in place.

Quite some hammering and bending was required to get the right shape for this piece...

...which fits in the last gap. The piece for the other side of the tank will have to wait since time was running late, as soon as I have gotten some house painting done that I didn´t bother to do last year I will continue on the tank build.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #140 on: June 25, 2013, 01:37:14 AM »
That idea of having a vise on the table that is not bolted down is a good one.  It is an idea I will copy from you. 

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #141 on: June 25, 2013, 06:08:13 PM »
That idea of having a vise on the table that is not bolted down is a good one.  It is an idea I will copy from you.  

Why Sir that is mearly one amongst the others in the mile long line of brilliant ideas of mine........ohh who am I kidding. I have been meaning to bolt it to the table for almost 4 months now but never gotten around to it. :-D

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #142 on: June 25, 2013, 07:46:19 PM »
That idea of having a vise on the table that is not bolted down is a good one.  It is an idea I will copy from you.  

Why Sir that is mearly one amongst the others in the mile long line of brilliant ideas of mine........ohh who am I kidding. I have been meaning to bolt it to the table for almost 4 months now but never gotten around to it. :-D

When you do Anders, be sure you place it so the stationary jaw is even with or slightly out from the edge of the bench top. That way you can put something vertically in the vise right down to the floor. A lot of people know that but there are a whole bunch more that don't and it's really frustrating to use one of their vises with longer material.

Pete

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #143 on: June 26, 2013, 12:10:18 AM »
Very good idea Peter, thanks for that! :-)

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #144 on: June 26, 2013, 07:56:56 AM »
   A friend of mine showed me years ago how to clamp a piece of flat stock in the vise and slide the vise up against the bench [possibly with a little clearance], and mark the mounting holes. I've never regretted doing that. Wish the vise mfg. could figure that out and reposition the mounting holes so they don't get so close to the edge of the bench, though.
   Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #145 on: June 26, 2013, 09:20:06 AM »
Misery! Just when I was about to start painting the clouds opened and rain started pouring down. Oh well, might as well head out to the shed then. :)

The second "compound curve" part is made and tacked into place.

Next week I will visit my job to cut out the tank top and after that I can weld the filler neck and fittings to the tank.

I´ve also made a bracket for the steering damper.

Here it is fitted, I need it to meet the class regulations and even if I didn´t have to I would still want one. :)

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #146 on: June 27, 2013, 05:31:15 PM »
Tonight I made the oil tank brackets and hung it in place, first I made some steel brackets and welded two of them to the rear of the frame.

Aluminum brackets were made to fit and were welded to the tank.

The same procedure was made for the front brackets, here the tank brackets are cooling off after welding.

And a while later the tank was securely in place, feels sturdy enough I think. :)

And a pic from the rear. Next up is to finish the fuel tank, I will cut some sheet aluminum for it after the weekend.

Cheers!

Offline Jon

« Reply #147 on: June 27, 2013, 07:22:16 PM »
Looks good Anders.

How exposed is in that hose in the last pic going to be when your done?

jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #148 on: June 28, 2013, 03:08:27 AM »
Looks good Anders.

How exposed is in that hose in the last pic going to be when your done?

jon

Thanks Jon!

I will fit a couple of hose brackets on the tanks to keep it from hanging down, but other than that it will be the way it is now. A steel braided hose should survive forever unless I crash the bike but then every other hose is in trouble as well.

/Anders

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #149 on: June 28, 2013, 03:02:23 PM »
With the girls playing around in the water puddles in front of the workshop I had the opportunity to combine babysitting and bike building! :)

I decided to cut out the air intake on the front fairings, I need to do it before I can build the dashboard for all the gauges.

A 3mm aluminum strengthening plate was fitted before I cut the hole just in case the fairings would collapse, not much glass fiber left above the hole.

With that done I made an air deflector plate and welded it to the strengthening plate to get the ram air directed down into the engine air intake. Not the easiest piece to take a picture of but you get the idea.

And it fits like this, later I will fit a black coarse meshed net to improve the looks a bit.

Cheers!
/Anders