Author Topic: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build  (Read 931023 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build
« Reply #1320 on: May 28, 2016, 06:15:49 PM »
Marimekko tablecloth?  That's a Finn company, not Swedish. :?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1321 on: May 29, 2016, 03:32:01 AM »
Marimekko tablecloth?  That's a Finn company, not Swedish. :?

I hope this is Nancy hijacking your landracing alias, otherwise you are starting to frighten me Jon... :-)

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1322 on: June 02, 2016, 04:21:47 PM »
Not exactly the worst evening to be sitting outside the workshop sanding down a sand casting pattern. 8-)

I´ve also begun to thread the 18 banjo bolts for the brass nozzles, they will later be turned down and have a 0.7mm syringe silver soldered to it.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1323 on: June 02, 2016, 09:33:30 PM »
We live in Michigan's Upper Peninsula - where there are more Finns than anyplace on earth - except in Finland.  EVERYBODY up here knows lotsa Finn stuff.  Even Head Handlebar Holders like me. :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1324 on: June 05, 2016, 04:15:55 PM »
We live in Michigan's Upper Peninsula - where there are more Finns than anyplace on earth - except in Finland.  EVERYBODY up here knows lotsa Finn stuff.  Even Head Handlebar Holders like me. :roll:

You know more about Finns than we do then, mostly they despise us Swedes for being silly cunts and in general I agree with them.

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #1325 on: June 05, 2016, 06:23:49 PM »

You know more about Finns than we do then, mostly they despise us Swedes for being silly cunts and in general I agree with them.

Now that is funny, nothing lost in translation :cheers:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1326 on: June 08, 2016, 04:24:01 PM »
I spent a couple of hours on the oil channels in the shaft tunnel last night, started by measuring the location of the journal bearing centers and scribbling them down with the felt pen.

I drilled the oil feed holes at a right angle to avoid the very tricky job of drilling precision holes at an angle from a single feed hole, I later sealed the end of the rear hole with an M8 plug.

As you can see there is an internal oil passage that connects both journal bearings and the thrust bearing from a single oil feeding point, less chance of leaks with only one oil entry point.

The threaded stainless piece on top of the shaft tunnel is the beginning of the oil feed coupling, I will weld a 10mm stainless tube to it and route out through the engine front cover which will firmly lock it in place so it can´t work its way free over time from thermal expansion and such.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1327 on: June 17, 2016, 02:30:42 PM »
I finished the pattern making and cast the part last night, it was a bit tricky to make the pattern in a two part flask since the plug had details on both sides.

First I filled the inside of the plug with sand and rammed it in one of the flasks.

Here I have carved out the runner.

After that I filled the second flask entirely with sand and fit the two flasks together, you can see both the sprue and twin vents.

After some careful knocking I could lift the upper flask...

and after even more careful knocking I could remove the pattern from the lower flask.

When I fitted tha flasks back together I had me a completed pattern, now I could start heating up the electric furnace and start preparing for casting!

Since I didn´t have anyone that could take pictures while I was casting we skip forward an hour, here I have just finished pouring the aluminum. You can see that both vents have filled up with metal so it looked promising.

20 minutes later the casting had cooled down enough for me to check it out, very exciting!  8-)

The result was very good! Some minor casting beard (swenglish...) on the parting surfaces but it is easily removed. Sweet success!

Here the finished casting lies next to the 3D printed pattern, there are some similarities between the two. :-)

The other side.

Here is a closeup on the cast surface, pretty fascinating that the 0.15mm high 3D printed layers can be so clearly seen in the finished casting.

Right now the part is in the kitchen oven being heat treated at 175°C for 8 hours. The improvement in the metal structure afterwards has proven to be major.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline thecarfarmer

• New folks
« Reply #1328 on: June 17, 2016, 09:55:28 PM »
Epic f***'n thread.

Just invested about five hours reading the last 89 pages - hope there's 89 more yet to come. 

BTW, here we call 'casting beard' by the name 'casting flash'.  But I'm gonna' start calling zip ties 'cat stranglers'...

One question: what advantage do ceramic bearings offer over steel?

Thanks,

William
We all enter this world in the same way: naked; screaming; soaked in blood. But if you live your life right, that kind of thing doesn't have to stop there.

-Dana Gould

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1329 on: June 18, 2016, 01:07:47 AM »
Epic f***'n thread.

Just invested about five hours reading the last 89 pages - hope there's 89 more yet to come. 

BTW, here we call 'casting beard' by the name 'casting flash'.  But I'm gonna' start calling zip ties 'cat stranglers'...

One question: what advantage do ceramic bearings offer over steel?

Thanks,

William

Hi William!

Glad you like the build thread, I plan to keep at it until they carry me off to the retirement center so there should be at least 40 more years of progress to read about. :-)

Ceramic bearings are much more tolerant to high revs since the rotary mass is much smaller, and even at low revs the rolling resistance is lower since the ceramic balls are rounder and harder than the steel balls. They also require much less lubrication and can take more heat than a standard steel bearing.

The gain gets bigger the higher the revs are, so if you are tempted to try it out you should pick the bearings that sees the highest revs and change them to hybrid ceramic bearings.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1330 on: June 18, 2016, 08:27:16 AM »
I know some Finn hockey players that have ceramic too!!!! :-D
Anders, you just keep shocking me. Like Thecarfarmer said "Epic". :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1331 on: June 18, 2016, 10:54:51 AM »
I spent an hour this morning to turn down the important surfaces on the casting to get everything square and flat, there is always a small degree of warping and core misalignment in a casting that needs to be removed. That is why it is so important to add a bit of extra material on the pattern.

The quality of the casting seems very good, perfectly solid and last nights heat treatment made it very nice to machine.

I had to modify the chuck a bit so it would grip the 300mm diameter casting.

Now it is a snug fit! :-)

Here I have turned the compressor radius a bit to get into the pure metal, I´ll spend more time on it later to get the correct blade clearance.

Here are all three castings for JU-02, I am really glad that I made them myself since I´ve learned a lot about sand casting, pattern making and 3D modeling.

I´ll leave the cast surface as it is on the front side, looks much better with the raw casting look to it. :-)

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #1332 on: June 19, 2016, 04:06:00 AM »
Nice
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline nanno