Author Topic: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build  (Read 930994 times)

Offline Vinsky

Re: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build
« Reply #1290 on: May 04, 2016, 12:15:10 PM »
Anders,
Thanks for the T shirt, look great.
I want to nominate you for the Bert Munroe Award, well something like that.  Everytime I see what you are building I am totally amazed. I hope
I get to see you run on the salt someday..
John

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1291 on: May 04, 2016, 01:33:38 PM »
Anders,
Thanks for the T shirt, look great.
I want to nominate you for the Bert Munroe Award, well something like that.  Everytime I see what you are building I am totally amazed. I hope
I get to see you run on the salt someday..

Glad you liked it, thanks a lot for helping the cause. :-)

With the new engine installed and thoroughly tested I will start planning for some races abroad, England has Pendine Sands which is very tempting to run. There are also a handful of one mile races in Europe that I hope to visit while doing my best to improve the aerodynamics.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1292 on: May 05, 2016, 02:29:59 PM »
Finally a sunny day that is work free! Besides lots of work around the house and having fun with the family I managed to get a few things done on the JU-02 project. After the final touches to the nozzle guide vanes I welded the NGV outer wall in place.

Since welding stainless makes things warp a bit I cleaned the important surfaces off in the lathe.

I also made a shelf where the combustor inner liner will rest, since the combustor length will increase with the temps it needs some room to expand freely else it will get damaged.

This didn´t turn out bad at all! :-)

TV94 turbine wheel and some evaporator tubes in place for reference.

Next up will be to make the turbine cover from a chunk of mild steel that my friend Olov had at home.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1293 on: May 05, 2016, 08:39:45 PM »
Anders, I'm sorry to have to ask - have you put a glossary in this diary anyplace?  I'm certainly not up on turbine lingo - and I'll betcha I'm not the only one.  If there's one somewhere here already  - tell me and I'll dig it up.  After you're done putting the kids in the dishwasher with that fine loader/forklift, and once you've carved that round slug into a turbine wheel - then maybe you'll have spare time to let me know some of the words I don't know.  NGV = Natural Gas Vehicle, right? :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #1294 on: May 06, 2016, 02:00:58 AM »
No...     NGV is the National Gallery of Victoria   :-D :-D
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1295 on: May 06, 2016, 05:57:02 AM »
I can understand that some of the terms are a bit confusing. :-)

Diffusor: The equivalent to a turbocharger compressor snail housing, it slows down the high speed air exiting the compressor wheel exducer (inducer: flow entry, exducer:flow exit) and guides it into the combustor section.

Combustor: The flame tube where the fuel is burned, it has three zones where the first two (primary, secondary) adds air for combustion and the third (tertiary) zone lets 80% of the air in close to the turbine wheel to expand and cool the overly hot combustion gasses before entering the NGV.

Evaporator tubes: Stainless tubes inside the combustor that the fuel syringe nozzles squirt fuel into so it boils on the glowing hot evaporator tube walls and mix with air, by the time the fuel/air has passed through the evaporator tubes it has mixed into a combustable gas. It is a simpler alternative to high pressure fuel injection.

NGV: Nozzle guide vanes, the equivalent to the turbocharger turbine snail housing. It acts as a (or more precisely a number of) nozzle just like the jet nozzle in a pure jet engine. It has a calculated flow area at its narrowest passage (throat) to produce the correct back pressure inside the engine and directs the gasses at the right angle towards the turbine wheel inducer tips.

Anything else that is a bit unclear?

Cheers!
/Anders
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 06:01:52 AM by Mobacken Racing »

Offline bbarn

« Reply #1296 on: May 06, 2016, 09:50:26 AM »
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1297 on: May 06, 2016, 11:50:02 AM »
C'mon, I paid attention back in 6th grade.  I do know how a jet (turbine) engine works -- I just don't have the terminology down.  Thanks from many of us, both of youse guys.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline bbarn

« Reply #1298 on: May 06, 2016, 11:53:29 AM »
C'mon, I paid attention back in 6th grade.  I do know how a jet (turbine) engine works -- I just don't have the terminology down.  Thanks from many of us, both of youse guys.

That video does a pretty good job of explaining many of the terms Anders throws around. (NVG, Combustion chamber, cooling section and the like) It also shows how those particular components work and where they are located in the assembly. Granted the animation has a few more wheels than Anders design it does behave the same way.
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1299 on: May 07, 2016, 01:19:47 AM »
It was about time to fit the journal bearings in the shaft tunnel.

I had made a special tool for cutting the circlip grooves when I built JU-01, so it was just a matter blowing the dust from it and get busy.

Here the rear bearings is in place, you can also see the oil drain from between the bearing and turbine shaft seal.

And here is the front bearing just behind the rear axial washer. An interesting detail about journal bearings is that the bearing rotates inside the shaft tunnel with aprox. 50% of the rotor RPM, that is the reason I need to get the bearing tolerances just right.

With the bearings in place I could measure where to drill the oil drain channel, since the g-forces will push the oil backwards I need to drain the oil as far towards the rear bearing as possible.

An o-ring seat was milled as well to make sure no oil will leak out.

Since the combustor will be just outside the shaft tunnel I need to route the oil drain as close to the shaft tunnel as possible, else I would have used fancy couplings and a large radius on the drain line.

It will end up something like this, but I need to cast the compressor diffusor cover first before I can finish it.

Cheers!
/Anders
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 01:25:02 AM by Mobacken Racing »

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1300 on: May 11, 2016, 02:49:48 PM »
To make the JU-02 much easier to field overhaul than JU-01 I will make the fuel supply external, on JU-01 there is an internal fuel plenum with silver soldered syringe injectors and to check the syringes for damage/blockage I need to remove the engine from the bike and take it apart completely.

With an external fuel plenum I can easily remove one injector at a time with the engine fully assembled and still in the bike, a priceless improvement at race day when I don´t have time to tear the engine down between runs.

Here you can see the engine cover rear wall with six 10mm holes for the studs that bolts the engine cover to the NGV and 18 holes that will be threaded for the M8x1.0 banjo bolts that I will fit the syringe injectors to.

The turbine wheel cover will be sandwiched between the NGV and the engine cover rear wall to stay in place, I´ve just started to turn it from a solid chunk of mild steel that will be ceramic coated later.

An hour into the job, there will be several more before the turbine cover is finished.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline nanno

• New folks
« Reply #1301 on: May 13, 2016, 04:27:59 PM »
There are also a handful of one mile races in Europe that I hope to visit while doing my best to improve the aerodynamics.

Anders, would you care to share, which ones you mean? I am only aware of Pendine Sands to be honest and would love to give my Turbo TR1 a bit of a shakedown, wherever I can and of course a chance to meet you and your turbine bike would literally be the icing on the cake!

Cheers,
Greg

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1302 on: May 14, 2016, 12:44:55 AM »
There are also a handful of one mile races in Europe that I hope to visit while doing my best to improve the aerodynamics.

Anders, would you care to share, which ones you mean? I am only aware of Pendine Sands to be honest and would love to give my Turbo TR1 a bit of a shakedown, wherever I can and of course a chance to meet you and your turbine bike would literally be the icing on the cake!

Cheers,
Greg

Here in Sweden there is a One Mile race in Färila on the old military air base Fönebasen 3-4th September, there is also a number of 1000m races in Björkvik, Sweden where the first this year is actually held today. Straightliners arrange Elvington 14-15th may (many races today!), Pendine Sands 21 May, and top speed races (whatever that is) 14th June and 20th August.

https://straightlinersonline.co.uk/events/category/56-top-speed.html

It surprises me that it is only Sweden and UK that are arranging such events, perhaps there are more but not so well advertised.

Hope we meet some day! :)

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1303 on: May 14, 2016, 06:54:44 PM »
To avoid the Eurovision Song Festival I escaped to the workshop to get some work done on the turbine cover. :-)

With the exducer diameter turned I put the turbine shaft in the small lathe and clocked the profile radius every 1mm with the indicator clock, here is the chart with the numbers.

With that done it was a piece of cake to turn the turbine cover radius.

An hour or so was then spent on grinding the radius smooth.

When the engine is completed I will put a layer of ceramic coating on the turbine cover, that has worked very well on JU-01.

But will it fit?

Yup, fits like a glove! :)

Here I am checking the axial clearance between turbine wheel and its cover.

Time to turn the part around and make the seat for the casing rear wall and a groove for a v-band flange.

Here it is finished, I´ll make my own v-band clamp to get the exact diameter that I want.

By now I could brush the grinding dust from my clothes and fit the parts together.

As you can see there is a 15mm shelf that the engine cover rear wall will rest upon, this shelf will act as a spacer so the air can get to the evaporator tubes.

Here is a better view of the 15mm air space, I fitted an evaporator tube just so make it easier to see what is what.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline sailingadventure

• McCain Automotive
« Reply #1304 on: May 16, 2016, 06:01:36 AM »
Anders, I just finished reading about your bike and the fact that you are building your own turbine engine blows me away. I envy your talent and look forward to seeing the engine completed.
                              Jeff McCain