Author Topic: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build  (Read 930996 times)

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
Re: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build
« Reply #1275 on: April 05, 2016, 11:02:31 AM »
10,240 rpm is the SAME as peak HP on my old CB750 LSR project................but sounds a lot different than a turbine :-D
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1276 on: April 05, 2016, 03:19:29 PM »
10,240 rpm is the SAME as peak HP on my old CB750 LSR project................but sounds a lot different than a turbine :-D

10.240rpm isn´t even close to idle on my turbine bike.... :-D

I managed to reprogram the tachometer to show 1.75rpm for every revolution of the compressor wheel, now I get a reading of 10.217rpm when the trigger plate spins 1702rpm*6 (six times more teeths on the trigger than the compressor wheel) = 10.212rpm. Hooray! :)

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1277 on: April 07, 2016, 04:29:11 PM »
I managed to sort the gearbox tachometer out today, I got very strange readings from it during the test run so I had to look it over.

After doing some Google research I figured out that the tachometer fabric setting was to display frequency, no wonder it gave strange readings when it displayed rps instead of rpm. I set it to read rpm and made a quick test rig to check the bike tacho reading against my hand held tachometer, it was spot on. Pheww. :-)

Very satisfying to know that both tachometers are working correctly, now there isn´t that much left to do before the bike is ready for race season 2016!

Cheers!
/Anders
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 04:31:24 PM by Mobacken Racing »

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1278 on: April 08, 2016, 03:57:08 PM »
I had a day off work today so I managed to get quite a lot done on the bike project. First off I finished (except for some paint) a towing wagon that will allow me to hitch a ride behind a car back to the pits from the end of the track, I can just roll the front wheel into the cradle and keep the front brake held while being towed. I´ll have someone drive me around the village when the weather gets a bit warmer to test it out. :)

A new and better suited glow plug had arrived in the mail a week ago so I figured it was time to try to make a kero starter that actually ignites the fuel. :)

I made a stainless housing for it and silver soldered a thin fuel line to it.

One piece of finished kero heater!

If nothing else it glows like mad.

I poured a bit of kero in a hose and used my mouth to blow the fuel into the kero starter while holding it with one hand and taking a picture with the other, it threw a mighty flame with no hesitation at all. Very satisfying after the smoking and spluttering from the old kero starter prototype.

I just need to make a restriction and figure out a way to feed it with fuel since so little pressure is needed.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline bbarn

« Reply #1279 on: April 25, 2016, 11:10:30 AM »
Anders, I need a fix man - haven't seen a post in over two weeks from you. I know you have real life issues to deal with but you may have to put them on the back burner so I can be properly entertained and dazzled!  :wink:
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1280 on: April 25, 2016, 04:53:57 PM »
Anders, I need a fix man - haven't seen a post in over two weeks from you. I know you have real life issues to deal with but you may have to put them on the back burner so I can be properly entertained and dazzled!  :wink:

Here´s a fix for you bbarn! :-)

It´s been very quiet here lately, not because I´ve been lazy but because I´ve been busy building a new workshop for the gas turbine bike!

The room will also double as a dyno room, I have managed to get my hands on a large centrifugal fan that I will build a fan brake dyno bench from.

It was powered by a 215hp electric motor so it is a serious piece of fan, the idea is to measure the pressure drop over a known restriction and find the HP number from the compressor map.

My friend Olov came over and helped me put it next to the workshop, it is too big to keep in the workshop while building the dyno bench from it. It will confuse the hell out of my neighbors for sure. :)

He also unloaded a lathe that I "inherited" from my father yesterday, a nice big italian lathe that will come in very handy when building the JU-02 since my old bench lathe is too small for the job.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1281 on: April 25, 2016, 04:59:16 PM »
If that big fan doesn't work out as a dyno, maybe you can build a wind tunnel with it.  :-D

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline bbarn

« Reply #1282 on: April 26, 2016, 09:50:31 AM »
Ahhhhh....things are right with the world again, Anders has posted!  Keep it up Anders, the fresh paint on the new shop looks great!

Glad to see you are feeding your addiction properly and don't forget about that Viper sitting there on the right!!!
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1283 on: April 27, 2016, 07:56:20 AM »
Neil, I do have plans to route the air exiting the fan to the front of the bike so it simulates high speed wind. That should show if the engine is starved of air at full throttle or not.

bbarn, you are welcome! I hope to get something done on the JU-02 tonight so there might be some pics uploaded before I go to bed.

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1284 on: April 27, 2016, 05:18:09 PM »
I decided that the workshop had taken way too much time from the JU-02 project so it was time to put the new lathe to good use. :)

Drilling four M10 holes for the countersunk screws that will hold the NGV to the shaft tunnel.

Here I have turned the guide edge that will keep the NGV and shaft tunnel centered.

Test fitting time!

I had to make a small jig to fixate the piston ring seal seat before welding it to the NGV, here I have just finished welding it in place.

The other side, the reason for the added seat it because the piston ring sits a bit inside the shaft tunnel and I didn´t want to machine it from a 30mm thick NGV plate...

Then I drilled the M10 screw holes in the shaft tunnel so I could fit the two together.

Threading the holes...

I found a countersink tool that wasn´t at all meant for stainless, but it did the job anyway. Squealed quite a bit though...

It is slowly starting to resemble a gas turbine engine... :)

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline salt27

« Reply #1285 on: April 27, 2016, 06:54:19 PM »
there might be some pics uploaded before I go to bed.

Sorry, but I'm not buying it.

There is no way a person can get that much done and have time to sleep too.

I'm in awe.    :cheers:

Don

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1286 on: April 28, 2016, 01:27:25 AM »
there might be some pics uploaded before I go to bed.

Sorry, but I'm not buying it.

There is no way a person can get that much done and have time to sleep too.

I'm in awe.    :cheers:

Don

I got 5 hours of sleep tonight so no problems. :)

The feancee and kids are visiting my mother in law this week so I have plenty of time to spend in the workshop, if I get the darn 3D printer working I hope to get the casting pattern for the compressor cover printed and sand cast this weekend.

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1287 on: April 29, 2016, 07:01:49 PM »
After consulting my jet mentor John about the NGV section I figured out a way to make tapered vanes and still get the correct throat width.

First I had to make a fixture to get all of the 18 vanes identical, underneath there is a set screw that I use to set the correct angle on the fixture before clamping it in place.

Ready for some milling!

Milling completed!

After cleaning the vanes up a bit they looked like this.

Here are a couple of vanes test fitted in their slots, looks much better than with straight vanes. :)

Time for bed, it is way past midnight here.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1288 on: May 01, 2016, 02:37:39 PM »
The last day alone at home, best get busy then! :)

To keep the heat away from the turbine shaft I drilled four 2.5mm holes that will direct bleed air to the backside of the turbine wheel.

Slots being milled on the surface between NGV and shaft tunnel.

After cleaning the part up a bit it looked like this.

And the turbine side.

I turned a radius on the NGV entry in the lathe.

Here the NGV is assembled with the turbine wheel as reference.

After tapering the vanes the NGV angle got a bit smaller than originally intended, I hope it isn´t too extreme.

With that done I started on the oil scavenge line in the shaft tunnel.

Here I have threaded the end of the hole for an M12 plug, for ease of manifacturing I did it like this instead of drilling an angled hole from the main scavenge port which I haven´t made yet.

Drilling the main scavenge line.

After some porting with the Dremel it looks like this.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1289 on: May 03, 2016, 05:35:51 PM »
After doing the dishes and putting the girls to bed I went out to drill some holes for the studs and evaporator tubes in the NGV outer wall.

Then I attached the vanes with a couple of small weld dots so I could adjust them for an equal throat width.

After some light grinding the NGV outer wall slid onto the vanes, there are some final adjustments to the NGV to do before I can weld it together for good. I fitted a pair of evaporator tubes just for reference, they´ll get some turbulence enhancing dimples and an inlet flare before welded in place.

Here you can see the NGV inlet, I´ll turn the inlet section down later to allow the combustor inner liner a sliding fit.

Cheers!
/Anders