Author Topic: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build  (Read 931060 times)

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
Re: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build
« Reply #1230 on: February 07, 2016, 01:56:46 PM »
Thanks tauruck! :-)

I hope you can stand to watch closeup pics of metal parts, because there will be heaps of them in this thread from now on. :)

I´ve fitted a pair of dowels between the diffusor plate and the shaft tunnel to keep them perfectly centered, on the JU-01 engine I originally used the M10 bolts as alignment and that caused a major breakdown when the piston ring seal on the compressor spacer rubbed against its seat and jammed.  

Here I am making the compressor spacer seat in SS2348 stainless, a very pleasant alloy to work with.

Here the thrust washer is seated in the diffusor plate, it was a bit tricky to get it right in the mill but thanks to the dowels I could remove the parts and measure the depth between each cut. It would probably have been a bit easier if I had made up detailed drawings of the part instead of just winging it, but where is the fun in that? :)

Here you can see the other side of the diffusor plate with the stainless insert seat fitted, I have more work to do before I can fit the compressor spacer and bolt it to the diffusor plate. It will also be part of the oil channel to the thrust bearing so I need to seal it properly to avoid oil leakage.

Cheers!
/Anders
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 01:59:17 PM by Mobacken Racing »

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1231 on: February 09, 2016, 02:48:06 PM »
Last night I spent a couple of hours on the engine after watching an episode of Game of Thrones with my feancee, I´ve found that the only way to get the image of stiff necked dwarfs and sloppy titties out of my head is building gas turbines while listening to thrash metal. :)

In the picture above I am drilling the screw holes for the thrust washer, then I continued turning the stanless insert to accept the compressor spacer and make room for the rear of the compressor wheel.

All of the thrust bearing parts together on the table before test fitting.

A rear view of the thrust bearing seat with the compressor spacer fitted inside the insert. A couple of shallow pores from the casting can also be seen, luckily they do no harm where they are.

The front end, I will mill four pockets where securing screws for the insert will be placed. It is a bit difficult to explain but I think you will get the idea when I can show some pics of it.

Things are coming together at a decent pace so far, next up is to secure the thrust washer and insert and drill the oil passage to the pocket between the insert and washer.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1232 on: February 09, 2016, 09:24:32 PM »
Anders, why are there hacksaw cuts in the spoke like flanges on that round aluminum thing?

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1233 on: February 10, 2016, 12:06:13 AM »
Anders, why are there hacksaw cuts in the spoke like flanges on that round aluminum thing?

Ahh, an excellent question!  :-)

I added the "spokes" to the casting pattern mostly for aesthetic reasons, but when I cast the part the thin spokes cooled first and pulled the whole part into a bowl like shape. I had to cut the spokes to get the part back to its intended flat shape.

Lessons learned, a couple of hundred more and I might actually start understand aluminum casting. :-)

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1234 on: February 12, 2016, 11:40:23 AM »
Today I was free from work so I spent the morning in the workshop instead, much progress was made since I remember most of the steps from the old JU-01 engine build.

To seal the oil passage I will use a silicone o-ring, here I am turning a stainless sleeve that will keep the o-ring from collapsing when the engine is bolted together.

Here I am drilling an 8mm deep hole for the oil passage, after that I used the Dremel to mill a channel into the oil pocket behind the stainless insert and drilled three holes that will let oil in to the back of the thrust washer. I forgot to take any pics of that unfortunately.

With the shaft tunnel still indexed on the rotary table I drilled the other side of the oil passage and milled a seat for the o-ring.

Here I have milled the rear axial washer seat, a delicate job since the depth of the seat determines the axial clearance in the thrust bearing. I have also milled a pocket for the oil to drain down into after passing through the bearing, a channel that connects to the journal bearing drain will be drilled later. A spring pin has also been fitted to keep the rear washer from rotating.

Threading the shaft tunnel for the four M3 screws that will hold the rear washer in place, I did the same modification to the JU-01 engine and found it very easy compared to machining up a sleeve of exact length that will hold the washer in place.

Tightened down properly! You can also see the outer groove for a 5mm silicone rope that will seal the parting surface from oil and air leakage.

The last job before the thrust bearing is finished, fastening the thrust washer and piston ring seal insert to the diffusor plate. Here I am cutting the M3 threads in the stainless insert.

I´ve decided to use long M3 screws that is fitted from the thrust washer side, goes through the diffusor plate and screws into the insert. This way I can torque together the parts properly without risking to damage the threads if they were cut in the soft thrust washer.

The business end of the same part, the screws need to be shortened down a bit as you can see.

An overview of the assembly table, it might look a bit crowded to a Feng Shui minded person but I can assure you that this is clean compared to the other flat surfaces in the workshop. :)

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #1235 on: February 12, 2016, 12:19:59 PM »
"An overview of the assembly table, it might look a bit crowded to a Feng Shui minded person but I can assure you that this is clean compared to the other flat surfaces in the workshop.  :-) "

Boy, can I ever identify with that!!!  :-D :-D :-D

Pete

« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 12:24:15 PM by Peter Jack »

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1236 on: February 12, 2016, 12:25:20 PM »
Science fiction????....

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #1237 on: February 12, 2016, 12:39:05 PM »
I tell my friends that I use the FAFS filing system for my parts and tools.
That stands for First Available Flat Spot.
Your's looks really neat :-D :-D

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1238 on: February 12, 2016, 01:32:36 PM »
I tell my friends that I use the FAFS filing system for my parts and tools.
That stands for First Available Flat Spot.
Your's looks really neat :-D :-D

Ron

:-D

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1239 on: February 13, 2016, 04:03:28 PM »
Speed Weekend on Ice is only 12 days away, time to get the jet sled up and running!

Here is a video from last years testing, since then we will have almost doubled the thrust by choking down the jet nozzle and feeding the afterburner much more fuel. It will be a very interesting race!  8-)

https://youtu.be/8TGeS4jj-Ww

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline salt27

« Reply #1240 on: February 13, 2016, 04:22:46 PM »
Speed Weekend on Ice is only 12 days away, time to get the jet sled up and running!

Here is a video from last years testing, since then we will have almost doubled the thrust by choking down the jet nozzle and feeding the afterburner much more fuel. It will be a very interesting race!  8-)

https://youtu.be/8TGeS4jj-Ww

Cheers!
/Anders

Are those asbestos socks you are wearing in the video?   
Seriously, I am in awe of your mechanical abilities.

Thanks for posting, Don

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1241 on: February 14, 2016, 01:37:19 AM »
Are those asbestos socks you are wearing in the video?   
Seriously, I am in awe of your mechanical abilities.

Thanks for posting, Don

Luckily we have a heat shield around the afterburner when it is time to race.  :-)

Thank you Don!

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1242 on: February 17, 2016, 08:30:19 PM »
Anders, do you know these guys?  www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35595441

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1243 on: February 20, 2016, 01:17:10 AM »
Anders, do you know these guys?  www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35595441

Nope, but they seem to be very serious about their sled. Unfortunately it lacks a jet engine at the back. :-D

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1244 on: February 20, 2016, 04:31:57 PM »
Todays test of the jet kick, wish us luck at Speed Weekend on Ice next weekend! :-)

https://youtu.be/DTM73kmb4ns

Cheers!
/Anders