Author Topic: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build  (Read 930935 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build
« Reply #120 on: May 31, 2013, 12:55:21 AM »
Slim... that's awful.

Offline Graham in Aus

« Reply #121 on: May 31, 2013, 05:10:45 AM »
Took me two days, but !  :roll: I get it...........

:cheers:

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #122 on: May 31, 2013, 06:17:20 AM »
This is usually the point where I pipe up about cavitation in oil and fuel pickups
So do you have a a screen of some sort on the end of that pickup hose to prevent cavitation?
G

Hi G!

Nope, no screen at the end of the pickup. How would one prevent cavitation?

Cheers!
/Anders

this is my take on it

at the end of your oil pickup with the suction of the pump you get a low pressure area
with that lowered pressure the temprature at which the liquid turns to vapour is lower
so, you get bubbles around the end of the pickup tube where the liquid boils
as a result you get that vortex effect, similar to what happens whan you pull the plug out of your bath or sink
so even though the pickup is under the oil or fuel, you get vapour in the system
you can fix it with a higher head hieght of fuel/oil but your tank is low so this is probably not achievable
now if you put a screen on the end of the pickup, all the other stuff still happens, however it appears you don't get the vortex
I've found with cars if the pickup screen falls off the oil pump you lose oil pressure when you get off idle
and with bikes, if the pickup screen falls off the pump, it still shows pressure but performance drops off significantly
the added considerations are, that you are at Bonneville which is 4000 feet above sea level and as the day goes on
the air gets thinner and your vapour point gets lower. Also, it gets hot at Bonneville, 40°c or hotter.

We run a car at lake Gairdiner in South Australia. we ended up putting a fuel safe foam block in the tank to prevent cavitation
It got to 53°c during the week
After sitting in the queue for half the day, the car, with an aluminium body, was too hot to touch, but ran fine

G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #123 on: May 31, 2013, 05:15:23 PM »

Looking great Anders! Hope to see that thing out on the salt one day!  :cheers:

As far as your welds go, I'm with you! If they look a little shabby but they don't leak, who cares!

Keep it up man! I love this build!

Thanks, hope we´ll meet one sunny day! :-)

Hi Anders

Since you are making a lid for the tank, you could make a swinging oil pick up with a fin on it to follow the oil.

Always have oil then and no air

Don

That design would work, the downside is that it would add complexity to solve a problem I am not sure exists.

this is my take on it

at the end of your oil pickup with the suction of the pump you get a low pressure area
with that lowered pressure the temprature at which the liquid turns to vapour is lower
so, you get bubbles around the end of the pickup tube where the liquid boils
as a result you get that vortex effect, similar to what happens whan you pull the plug out of your bath or sink
so even though the pickup is under the oil or fuel, you get vapour in the system
you can fix it with a higher head hieght of fuel/oil but your tank is low so this is probably not achievable
now if you put a screen on the end of the pickup, all the other stuff still happens, however it appears you don't get the vortex
I've found with cars if the pickup screen falls off the oil pump you lose oil pressure when you get off idle
and with bikes, if the pickup screen falls off the pump, it still shows pressure but performance drops off significantly
the added considerations are, that you are at Bonneville which is 4000 feet above sea level and as the day goes on
the air gets thinner and your vapour point gets lower. Also, it gets hot at Bonneville, 40°c or hotter.

We run a car at lake Gairdiner in South Australia. we ended up putting a fuel safe foam block in the tank to prevent cavitation
It got to 53°c during the week
After sitting in the queue for half the day, the car, with an aluminium body, was too hot to touch, but ran fine

G

Hi G and thank you for posting the information, very interesting reading since I haven´t been in contact with these problems before.

The oil pickup is oversized by far since the oil passages for the gas turbine bearings are three 1.5mm holes if I remember it correctly, so the oil flow at the end of the pickup will be very slow. I used the same dimensions on the test tank with 1/2 the oil capacity and always had a steady oil pressure and good looking bearing surfaces so I think I am ok.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #124 on: May 31, 2013, 05:19:19 PM »
Anders is a Swede -- might not want someone from a neighboring country on his bike.

You´ll have to explain that joke to me some day, I didn´t quite get it. :-)

Offline maj

« Reply #125 on: May 31, 2013, 06:24:36 PM »
with a fin on it        :wink:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #126 on: May 31, 2013, 06:49:02 PM »
"a swinging oil pick up with a fin on it to follow the oil."

As in a Finnlander.  Now do you get it?   :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #127 on: May 31, 2013, 08:24:40 PM »
Thanx, Jon.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #128 on: May 31, 2013, 10:59:12 PM »
It's not friday here
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline salt27

« Reply #129 on: June 01, 2013, 12:00:27 AM »
I think he would have gotten it, had it been a Norwegian on the back. :-D

« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 12:16:12 AM by salt27 »

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #130 on: June 01, 2013, 12:22:05 AM »
Ahhh, now I get it! :-D

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #131 on: June 05, 2013, 01:56:08 AM »
I´ve got a fair bit of work done the last couple of days. All of the oil lines are made and some of the fuel lines as well, it is starting to look like a mess and there is more to come. :)

Here is the last oil line from the filter to the engine.

I also made an AN4 coupling for the fuel pump.

In order to finish the fuel lines I had to fit the fuel pump to the frame, I *could* just weld a bracket to the frame and fit it with hose clamps but why always take the easiest route? 8-)

Two 10mm aluminum plates were stacked on top of each other and the fuel pump bracket build started.

Just finished the outer profile.

Milling the spots where M6 bolts will hold the frame clamp.

What fucking clamp I hear you think, why the one I am cutting loose right now of course! :)

To make life easy I did as much as possible without removing the parts from the rotary table, here I am cutting the slot for the pump clamp.

After laying the rotary table down I could mill the hole for the fuel pump.

The last .10`s I took away with the arbor tool, notice the washers under the frame clamp so I can tighten it later.

After separating the two brackets and filing the worst edges away they looked this fancy. :)

And with the pump fitted:

Here the pump is in place with the AN4 fuel line connected, it took some effort but looks a bit better than hose clamps in my opinion.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #132 on: June 05, 2013, 08:01:21 AM »
   Apparently you had a little extra time. Very nice.
  Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #133 on: June 05, 2013, 08:18:50 AM »
You should see what I can do with a couple of hose clamps, a hacksaw and a 2lb.hammer. :-D Looking sweet Anders.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #134 on: June 05, 2013, 12:17:06 PM »
Great looking clamps. Nice to see Slim's filter missed the Ford word :-o
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20