Author Topic: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build  (Read 930933 times)

Offline tauruck

Re: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build
« Reply #1140 on: November 11, 2015, 08:40:48 AM »
I'm with Denis on this one.

Awesome. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1141 on: November 11, 2015, 08:54:25 AM »
Mate- your engineering skills and "just do it" attitude never cease to amaze me. I think if USSR got to Wernher von Braun before USA did, way back then, you could have quite comfortably jumped into his shoes, and designed and built Lunar Landers and Atlas launchers in your own little workshop! Like (I believe) most LSR racers, I design, weld, fabricate, etc. everything on my LSR race car in my own shed, in my own little backyard, and think I am OK at it. But I have to admit when I see what you are producing, it reminds me of how much I have yet to learn! Keep up the good work; you are educating (and entertaining) a lot of people on planet Earth.
Regards and best wishes from" Down Under"  Denis

Thank you very much Denis, it is communities like Landracing.com where people share freely what they know that has educated me over the years so I am very glad if I can pass the knowledge on to others.

At only 34 years of age I feel like I am only scratching the surface of metal working so internet is a great source of information and inspiration to me, my father is very talented at metal construction, hobby blacksmithing etc but with the stuff I am working on nowadays he has little to teach me.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1142 on: November 14, 2015, 02:21:37 PM »
A couple of evenings ago I started to make a styrofoam plug of the shaft tunnel for lost foam casting, but after taking a couple of steps back and realize that it looked like sh*t I tossed it in the trash bin and decided to do it the proper way.

I started to draw up a sand casting pattern in Inventor just like I did with the compressor diffuser.

You can see the beginning of the holes for the dowels I will use to align the pattern halves later when making the sand pattern.

18 hours later these two parts was waiting for me in the printer.

This morning I drew up the core patterns.

Perhaps it is best I explain what I am up to. I will cast the shaft tunnel with a sand core to get a centum hole and an oil drain cavity inside it, it is done by mixing sand with sodium silicate and filling the core pattern with it. Then the filled pattern is purged in CO2 which reacts with the sodium silicate and makes the sand rock hard. Check this video by Myfordboy and you will get the concept.

https://youtu.be/UPQmgeTFHEc

I printed the core patterns and they turned out pretty ok, the edges released the build platform slightly during printing but it will still work.

Here you can see all of the shaft tunnel patterns, as soon as the sodium silicate I ordered arrives I will give it a try.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1143 on: November 23, 2015, 04:34:44 PM »
Finally, yesterday the bottle of sodium silicate arrived so I could try making the sand core for the shaft tunnel!

I mixed 6% by volume of sodium silicate with fine grain silica sand and packed the core pattern full of it, I also poked a hole through the center to get the CO2 into it properly.

Lucky me for having a Soda Streamer at home. :)

Bugger, that didn´t end up as expected. The core sand didn´t solidify much at all and crumbled when I tried to remove the pattern halves.

After some good advice from a friend I tried it again this evening, this time by baking the sand core in the microwave instead of using CO2.

Now we are talking! The sand quickly became very hot and was near melting the PLA pattern when I removed it from the sand core, I gave the core another hit of microwaves without the pattern around it so now it is very solid. It must have been near cracking before it solidified as can be seen but it seems to hold together just fine now.

I´ll make the petrobond sand pattern and see if the core will fit, if so I will try to find me a quiet evening for some more aluminum casting! :)

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #1144 on: November 24, 2015, 09:59:28 AM »
Amazing Anders! I'd love to hang out in your shop, drink beer, and just observe for a couple months. The term "mad scientist" comes to mind. I love it! keep up the insanity!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1145 on: November 24, 2015, 10:27:33 AM »
Uhn, do ya think that the mad scientist thing is maybe your reaction to Anders' hairdo? :evil:

But think of what his family must find - sandy fall-apart parts in the microwave, weird noises at all hours, strange fragrances wafting on the breeze - - wait a minnit -- that sounds like damn near any hot rodder, doesn't it? :cheers: :cheers:

There you have it, Anders -- you're one of 'em!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1146 on: November 25, 2015, 12:14:49 AM »
You are welcome lsrjunkie, if you promise to sweep the workshop floor once in a while during the beer drinking the deal is settled!  :-)

My Anna is "broken in" so to speak concerning my hobbies, she doesen´t even raise an eyebrow when I shoot my cap and ball Remington from the balcony. :-D

Actually I sort of am a hotrodder already, even if I haven´t bought the whole package with the farmer pants and greasy hair.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1147 on: November 25, 2015, 11:22:22 AM »
"...cap and ball Remington..."   Ah Ha! a black powder shooter! I shoot a Leach & Rigdon replica myself. (a Confederate copy of a Colt .44)

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #1148 on: November 25, 2015, 12:08:02 PM »
Anders if you lived over here you would always have a lot of racers at your shop. Your work is awesome and we all enjoy your posts.Thanks for sharing. Go fast be safe as you have a large group following you. Have a great day. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1149 on: November 25, 2015, 01:42:59 PM »
Neil: Glad to hear there are more black powder enthusiasts here, it is great fun and sort of practical as well since original cap and ball revolvers aren´t regulated in Sweden so anyone who is 18 can buy one.

More modern handgun with unit cartridges are highly regulated here, you need to be an active member in a shooting club, have a spotless police record (even a single speeding ticket might be too much) and it is up to the police to decide whether to renew the license or not every 5 years. Damn bureaucrats! :x

Glen: Thanks! That would have been fun, not sure if I would get much tone though with people dropping by all the time. :-)

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1150 on: November 25, 2015, 01:43:24 PM »
With the core successfully made it was about time to get the rest of the sand pattern made.

Here I am about to fit the split plugs together, notice the two dowels in the pattern.

And here they are fitted together, the baby powder is used so the two flasks will part easily.

Here I am cutting the ingates from the sprue and riser.

Carefully lifting the plugs from the sand, I didn´t have any release angling at all on the sides of the pattern so it was a bit tricky...

That turned out well, time to fit the core!

To avoid the pitting on the top surface I got during the last pour I made extensions for the sprue and riser to get better head pressure.

Here is the finished sand pattern, ready for tomorrows pour. Wish me luck!

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline MattGuzzetta

« Reply #1151 on: November 25, 2015, 03:45:21 PM »
Anders, I have designed and made patterns for work and for my car parts, but have never gotten near actually doing the sand castings.....you are amazing.  Great to see your methods and workmanship.  Did you make your own 3D printer?  I had one in my office at work to make test parts and they are a fantastic tool for making things.  I do miss being able to make parts direct from a 3D model.   
Keep the info coming, we love to see more! :cheers:

Matt Guzzetta

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1152 on: November 26, 2015, 04:12:48 PM »
Anders, I have designed and made patterns for work and for my car parts, but have never gotten near actually doing the sand castings.....you are amazing.  Great to see your methods and workmanship.  Did you make your own 3D printer?  I had one in my office at work to make test parts and they are a fantastic tool for making things.  I do miss being able to make parts direct from a 3D model.   
Keep the info coming, we love to see more! :cheers:

Matt Guzzetta

Thank you very much Matt! Actually I won my 3D printer in a Boca Bearing inventor contest, I never imagined that I could have so much use of it.

Today it was time to cast the shaft tunnel, I took a day off work to have time to do it undisturbed.

Here is the video, I try to speak english so all you unlucky people not living in the Humanitarian Superpower Sweden can understand what I am saying...

https://youtu.be/-iQFke0tQQM

Getting the sand core out of the casting.

This looks really good, I have yet to find out how well the core was centered in the casting. Hopefully centered enough to leave some material for turning the bearing seats.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #1153 on: November 27, 2015, 03:08:56 PM »
I just got back in from some lathe job on the shaft tunnel, I had to find out if there was enough material for the journal bearing seats after the casting was cleaned up.

Turning turning...

The same cut that got the last of the cast surface to disappear made a worn down bearing fit snugly, that is great since I have a tenth of a millimeter left to get the tolerances right.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline nanno

• New folks
« Reply #1154 on: November 29, 2015, 04:40:18 AM »
Awesome stuff, Anders!  :-o