Author Topic: Modified roadster construction  (Read 182075 times)

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: Modified roadster construction
« Reply #285 on: August 25, 2017, 10:49:04 PM »
Well well, another year at the salt. It would be nice to tell you all things went great, but we are going to be working to repair body damage from this seasons course conditions.

It does appear we have solved the engines electrical issues we dealt with over the last two years. The power was there (even if we couldn't use it) & drive-ability was exactly what the driver wanted. Unfortunately, getting sideways at upwards of 230 MPH is not good for certain body parts, like the engine cover. Also, trying to clear the course to not hold up the event is not good for the nose. So I guess we will dig in & repair the body, probably better than repairing engine or drive line damage.   
We will also be looking at adding more weight, why not...
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline jdincau

« Reply #286 on: August 25, 2017, 11:09:57 PM »
Mike,
     We had the same experience at 150 mph in the street roadster. No traction (15 to 20 MPH tire slip). Spun it twice, ripped up the bottom of the duce shell, some of it from the off course crunchies, some from the 6 inch potholes on the road from the pits to the short course. Saturday we had MUD on the car from towing to the short course, it was miserable. We need about 500 lbs of weight to run in those conditions, a big difference from 2009-10 when it was smooth and dry.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #287 on: February 14, 2020, 12:06:44 AM »
Well, the board seemed a little slow lately & I haven't posted anything here in over a year so?
Here are some of the updates on the race car. We added tail feathers thanks to Bob Dalton & Kirk Harkins. We were going to add more weight but I didn't think the trailer could take it!  muutt  We also had Kevin Elliott at Kev's Rod & Custom fix our nose damage from 2017 (see pictures above) while Mike Kilger at Kilger's Kustom Metal hammered out a super nice engine bubble. We also went back to the chassis dyno after building a new hybrid turbo to do some fine tuning with the magic keyboard. Then it was off to Bonneville 2019.
There is an old saying, we came, we saw, & we put it back in the trailer. Okay, I could have changed it up a bit but the fact remains, we chose not to attempt a pass. As racers we wanted to try & herd our hot rod down the salt, I mean that's what were there for. But after the damage done in 2017 & the obvious issues with the race surface we decided to put it away & hope for better salt in 2020.
We still managed a pretty good "To Do" list for this season because race cars are never truly done. Anyway, here's hoping for good salt! 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 12:22:41 AM by Dynoroom »
Michael LeFevers

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #288 on: February 14, 2020, 12:07:35 AM »
One more...
Michael LeFevers

Online Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #289 on: February 14, 2020, 10:50:07 AM »
Thanks Mike... confirms my belief that forward vision is way overrated... although I see that you can see around the tall part a little...
very nice car  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O