Author Topic: 100 cc bike streamliner  (Read 3080 times)

Offline neandethal

100 cc bike streamliner
« on: September 11, 2019, 02:39:34 AM »
Hi Folks,

I confess that i am not completely new to this forum, but wasn't sure where else to post this.
Have competed in 2 Speed Weeks and due back in October for World Finals, i am currently constructing a motorcycle streamliner here in the UK, with a view to one day challenging the Buddfab record in the 100cc class.
Later this year i will be seeking Crowdfunding to support this effort and have created a website to help in that process.
Thought some of you  might find it interesting as an introduction to myself and my projects.
The link is here:    https://www.racetothesalt.com/
Couldn't see that this was against any of the forum rules? cheers Ian

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: 100 cc bike streamliner
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 12:15:12 AM »
That is a very nice project. 

Offline ProjectROTM

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 08:25:22 AM »
Looks like a cool project. I will follow with interest.

Offline thefrenchowl

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 10:34:28 AM »
Me think you'll need a lot of aero work to challenge Buddfab's records...

Theirs was an exceptional and sustained effort over a long period of years...

I'm just worried about the number of trips from GB you'll have to commit to, a week's every year on the Salt Flats is not a lot of time to tune your beast and I'm not sure at all tuning it in GB will be of any real benefit...

To answer one of your queries elsewhere, the 2 bikes I brought to the Salt Flats over some time needed a lot of jetting UP compared to my trials here at near sea level in Cheshire... Couldn't even try to explain why, just one of these things!!!

Patrick
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 10:38:41 AM by thefrenchowl »
Flat Head Forever

...What exactly are we trying to do here?...

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 11:44:42 AM »
We went to SW 2019 with a bucket loaded of questions and solved a number of things including, and maybe relevant to this project; there is secure storage in Wendover and the cost is not as much as you might expect.

Much better than shipping back and forwards for those of us who don't live on the big continent (and no, I don't mean Australia) though it rather compromises major build changes if its not in your garage. I am shipping in 2021 if the stars align and will have some space in a container; shipping a lakester in its own trailer but should have a few feet spare in a 20 foot container. I am aiming for a trialer of ~ 16' long so it fits in my home garage with the draw bar 'hinged' up and the ends of the lakester (forward and aft of the axles) removable.

I am researching import rather than carnet so PM me if that is of interest. I am based near Marlow, Bucks, UK.
Lemming John
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 05:03:27 PM »
If you store your racer in Wendover, I suggest planning on staying a little longer to fully prep the car/bike before your flight home. I can?t begin to tell you how much residual salt damage occurs in a few short months if all of it is not removed. Additionally and by all means, pickle the engine after your last run. I use Marvel Mystery Oil (there are others) and begin dumping it down intakes while engine is still warm and running. Do this until engine stalls. It should be in good shape for next year when you return (assuming it was good when you shut it down).

John
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 09:53:35 PM by ggl205 »

Offline Bratfink

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 10:46:34 AM »
Ian,

Since we are operating in similar hemisphere's (i.e. microscopic motorcycle streamliners). Might I suggest we work together? We have built some experience on what not to do with M/C streamliners on the salt. Still not fully figured out what to do... lol.

Team Brine Shrimp could act as the US support for your operation. We could work together to achieve our respective records.

Whilst leaving the vehicle in storage is an option, you'll find you need time to work on updates and fixes to things you did wrong each year.

Just an idea. 

Offline neandethal

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2019, 06:41:24 PM »
Hi Folks,

Sat here in Motel 6 having looked at the lake that should be my course.
I stored by bike from speedweek to now at Hansons, great people and sensible prices.
Working with Brine shrimp would be great, i need all the help i can will send a pm when i get home. Not sure i would call mine microscopic at nearly 17 feet long, but engine wise indeed.
Having shipped a bike over this year, it is not only the logistics, costs and paperwork stress but support crews as well that makes it a challenge.
Its coming together though. Have gone for an adjustable HANS and tech confirmed having just a FIA is good enough.