Author Topic: motorcyle tires on a streamliner...  (Read 14285 times)

Offline fastman614

Re: motorcyle tires on a streamliner...
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2013, 03:29:48 AM »
Does the rearrangment of this sentence from 2.F, 2013 rulebook read better?

"The use of any non-rated tire(s) such as implement, farm, aircraft, motorcycle, reproduction of a vintage automobile tire, 17" drag race tires or any non-pneumatic wheel/tire combination (no rubber) shall be submitted for approval to the contest board in writing 45 days prior to an event."

DW

Dan, to me it is clear -  the clause as written does NOT specifically preclude the use of motorcycle tires.... It DOES, however, require a written submission to the contest board!.... I would assume that a carefully thought out submission with as much relevant information as is possible to obtain would be included in the contents....
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2013, 10:03:04 AM »
We ran motorcycle tires on the lakester until we realized that it would go a lot faster with smaller tires.  I think 208 to 211 was the fastest we ran them.... was in the days when we ran 3 runs, so probably early 90s.

With all 4 bike tires, ran about 176 on gas

Picked up 10MPH with the small fronts on gas...  This pic was when we were running 2 passes on N20 in the 208-211 range... required 3... small back tires and a lot of testing put JB in the club in 95... of course we had 2 years off to prepare.

Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2013, 10:28:25 AM »
Dan
I don't have a 13 book yet. In your "valued" opinion, do you think the 18" Dunlops mine and several other roadsters are running, fall under the "reproduction of a vintage automobile tire" classification? They are a reproduction of a vintage "racing tyre" and have been ran at speed. Does the fact they say racing on the side make them legal or do  we need to try to get special permission or are they just flat out banned?
Thanks for all the help, time and wisdom you give to this board. It is greatly appreciated.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline dw230

« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2013, 11:14:28 AM »
The Dunlops have been used as you mentioned. I am not allowed to put forth an official decision. Please contact either Lee Kennedy or Steve Davies, section 16 in your rulebook.

These tires are not specifically forbidden in the rulebook - see rule 1.A.

Good luck,
DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Steve Walters

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2013, 12:09:00 PM »
To all of those I have offended, I'm sorry.  The picture that was posted has two of my good friends and fellow techs in them, I took the picture as a personal insult to their integrity and acted stupidly.  I'm sure it wasn't posted in the way I took it, you have the right to post what ever, and say what ever.  I'm not the master of good intensions I think I am, I'm just a crotchity old flacthulater, I didn't want to become.

Steve   
I've been from Bone to Blackfoot, but still just a Newbie here.

Wa's Bad Banana
B/CGALT

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2013, 01:02:39 PM »
The car in the photos is Darrell Zipper's K gas lakester that he ran several times probably 5-6 years ago. It had a 440 snowmobile engine in it and I don't think that it ever ran over 120. I happen to be in the inspection area when Darrell was discussing the use of motorcycle tires with the SCTA inspectors. The reasoning went something like this: The tires are rated for 165 mph, their load rating exceeded the corner weights of the car by a pretty large factor, and the class record at the time was about 150 mph.

If you look at say the Pirelli GP motorcycle tires they are speed rated at 165 mph and that could certainly  probably be moved up by shaving the tires. Before the new motorcycle tire rule change came out several years ago that the faster "sit on" bikes, ie turbo Hyabusas etc, must run on Bonneville speed rated tires most of them ran on the GP style Pirelli, Dunlop, Michlen tires and there were many runs over 250 mph. If you looked at the lead blocks strapped to the swingarms of these bikes and add the riders weight into it I would bet that the tires were carrying 300+ lbs loads.

Regarding the Goodyear 17 inch dragster front tire, I think that the small section tire is limited to 200 mph max speed but I have never heard what the Bonneville/SCTA speed rating is on the new dragster front tire that is somewhat wider. The problem, as I understand with the small dragster front is that at about 275 mph the tire will not stay on the bead, and there have been incidences of this happening which lead to the 200 mph speed limit.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline jo maoma

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2013, 09:31:14 PM »
Dan, to me it is clear -  the clause as written does NOT specifically preclude the use of motorcycle tires....

that's how i was reading it and why i wanted to clarify, but as i said i was told
no moto tires period so maybe a tweak of the text is still needed (i was thinking
it was just me being slow on the uptake)...  :-D

Offline jo maoma

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2013, 09:51:02 PM »
First..... what exactly is the car going to be ?..... What speeds do you expect?.... Okay now..... with a bit more information, we could possibly steer this topic to viable alternatives to motorcycle tires.

i guess i should start a build thread. i was building it to run on the Ω/GS
record of 55.139 the car is being designed to run a rotary vane motor