Author Topic: motorcyle tires on a streamliner...  (Read 14333 times)

Offline jo maoma

Re: motorcyle tires on a streamliner...
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2013, 07:42:20 PM »
well i wasn't sure. i've spent a lot of time on a lot of forum and this is the first
time i've been put on anyones ignore list so i'm rubbin' someone the wrong way...  :-D

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2013, 08:24:52 PM »
Don't worry about being ignored. I'm ignored by two. One is a spambot that once his spam posting was erased by SSS he shows as having made 0 posts. The other is a guy who made one post back in 2011 and never posted again. Ignores are only one person's opinion and it's pretty hard to please everyone.  :-D :-D :-D

Pete

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2013, 08:29:12 PM »
JoM, I just checked... it is not me but I have found occasionally the my computer ignores folks if I move my mouse "wrong"  :|
I doubt you have offended anyone based on what I've read.  I wouldn't worry about it, folks ignore stuff I write all the time....  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2013, 08:39:47 PM »
Wow!  I didn't know about ignorers.  I'm only ignored by one person and I try hard to ruffle feathers.  Maybe they're just not informed about how to do it.  But I guess my wife figured it out.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2013, 08:45:34 PM »
JoM, may haps you know my wife, she ignores me all the time. I found this to be helpful as I was condsidering Bike tires (Tyres) for a small liner I'm thinking about.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2013, 08:51:16 PM »
Jo M, you may want to look at the Goodyear front runners built for drag racing. For the smaller engined classes they're probably as good a choice as any and not nearly as expensive as the lsr version.

Pete
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 08:53:22 PM by Peter Jack »

Offline fastman614

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2013, 02:12:07 AM »
First..... what exactly is the car going to be ?..... What speeds do you expect?.... Okay now..... with a bit more information, we could possibly steer this topic to viable alternatives to motorcycle tires.

I know that up until 2009, I ran both Goodyear and Hoosier dragster frontunners on my lakester.... we had gone over 230 mph.... in 2009, which was after Cliff Gullett was fatally injured in a horrific crash in later 2008, the use of these front runners was "discouraged".... In 2009, we were licensing two drivers and we were also heavily scrutinized due to the use of these tires. We had a flat on one of them, which caused a number of "See, we told you" type of comments.... trouble was though...... the real evidence showed a deep cut in the tire though. We had no further trouble with the frontrunners for the rest of the week and we made several 220+mph runs on them...... in fact, Lee Kennedy asked us, after about run 7, to remove the restriction sticker from our car.....

Having said the above, there is still a restriction against using the small dragster frontrunners as driven tires!

Also, there is also, fairly recently released (by Goodyear), a (IIRC) 500X17 (5") wide dragster style low profile frontrunner tire..... it has a much higher weight rating.... other than that, I know nothing about it..... but my personal opinion is that drag front runners have not been troublesome until into the higher 200s of miles per hour - if even then....

So, there are economically priced viable alternatives to motorcycle tires here.....

Good luck!
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline Steve Walters

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2013, 12:20:59 PM »
well i wasn't sure. i've spent a lot of time on a lot of forum and this is the first
time i've been put on anyones ignore list so i'm rubbin' someone the wrong way...  :-D

I don't know how the ignore works, probably hurt my feelings if I did.  But I think it would have something to do with your avatar, and ID.  Being a hay seed from Idaho I don't understand what it is all about, I could see where someone might be offended by your race monicur, and the picture of what I think is the Chinese ruler, I can't spell emperore.
   :?

Steve
I've been from Bone to Blackfoot, but still just a Newbie here.

Wa's Bad Banana
B/CGALT

Offline jo maoma

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2013, 01:20:48 PM »
Jo M, you may want to look at the Goodyear front runners built for drag racing. For the smaller engined classes they're probably as good a choice as any and not nearly as expensive as the lsr version.

Pete

yah i was looking for a smaller tire up front to make the "packaging" a bit easier.
it's early on so it's not the end of the world just looking at options. you're right
the front runners are probably my best bet, goodyear has a 23" and m&h has a
22" that i can make work...

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2013, 01:44:02 PM »
The M&H has a ribbed pattern that I don't know would be kosher for a bike.

(I like 'em -- Change from the Goodyear 25"(?) to the M&H 22" put me in the 2 Club -- and I could steer!)

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

LittleLiner

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2013, 02:21:41 PM »
The K/GL lakester is in tech at WOS, it would have to be pre 2008, cause I didn't have that embrella that year, it got run over I think in 2007.  The tent was handed down to MC tech in 2008, and the lakester would not be in MC tech.  In 2007 the record for that class was 149 and change.  Can you tell the tires are actually MC tires from the picture?  Do you know what year the MC tire rule came about, I believe it was after a car incident years after that picture was taken.  Why stir the pot when the facts aren't really known?

The proper procedure was followed, and the proper answer has been given.  Lets dig up a picture from the early 50s' and question why we have to run with roll cages, these guys didn't.

There is language in the rule book concerning tires. ( Have you read the rule book Steve? )  Anyway. . . that language (section 2.F Tires:) does not say anything that would imply that motorcycle tires may not be used on cars.  It does say that if you want to run non-rated tires, or aircraft tires, or a reproduction of vintage automobile or motorcycle tire . . . . . that you need to get approval from the contest board 45 days prior to an event.  The way that that one sentence is worded about reproduction tires makes it somewhat confusing about the MC tire . . .is it refering to all motorcycle tires or just reproductions of vintage motorcycle tires? . . . In any case there is nothing that specifically says 'no motorcycle tires on cars.'

The photos were from a few years back but they weren't from "the early 50s'  "  And yes, I can tell that the tires are motorcycle tires from looking at the photos.  I have other photos of that car because I felt it was unique and had many interesting features so I copied several photos to my conputer for later reference.  Would you like me to post another picture showing a closer view of one of the tires?  In another post you said I posted old pictures to " . . insinuate the officials are selective on who the rules apply to."  Where did I say that Steve? 

In any case my intent was not to 'stir the pot.' or to 'insinuate the officials are selective on who the rules apply to.'  My intent in posting the photos was to show that at least one car in recent history has run with bike tires.  I had hoped that would generate some discussion on the pros and cons of using bike tires on cars.  There are issues that can cause problems.  Generally speaking, motorcycle tires have a different bead contour than car tires.  So mounting bike tires on wheels designed for car tires is both difficult and dangerous.  This can be overcome (I am told) by having wheels built that are designed to hold bike tire beads.  Maybe someone with actual experience doing this can chime in here.

The hoped for advantages in running motorcycle tires is reduced rolling resistance and a narrower profile than car tires.  Assuming adaquate speed rating and load ratings, motorcycle tires can offer a price advantage over some car racing tires.   For the purposes of the original post concerning tires to run on a streamliner see other posts about frontrunners (PeterJack, Fastman614)

Soooo. . . .
You asked " Do you know what year the MC tire rule came about?"  My answer is "No."  More specifically . ."what MC tire rule?"
You said,  " . . . I believe it was after a car incident years after that picture was taken."  To which I ask, "what car incident?"  More specifically, . . what car incident involving a car running MC tires that had an incident caused by using MC tires on a car?
You asked "Why stir the pot when the facts aren't really known?"  My answer is "If we don't know the facts how else do we find the answers?"

Don't get me wrong, I think the SCTA is a excellant organization, manned with first rate men and women that work hard to sustain and advance the sport of land speed racing.  But there could be improvements in communicating with the general LSR public.  The SCTA rule book is pretty darn good.  But the vast variety of classes, car and motorcycle models, technical advancements, and evolving safety requiremnts make it impossible to publish a rule book that can cover everything.

And I know that this forum is not the official way of getting SCTA technical, class and safety rule clarifications.  If you have an SCTA rules question go to section 16 in the SCTA rule book and contact the appropriate representative to get your answer.  I've done this a few times over the years.  Each time I've done this has always resulted in getting a prompt and complete response.  No problem. 

But there is a problem . . . when one person asks one question and gets one answer . . . only that one person knows that answer.  It would help the whole LSR community if those questions and answers could be put out to the public.  This might sound like more work for the SCTA.  But it might prove to be less work in the long run because it saves re-answering the same question over and over.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2013, 02:33:56 PM »
No jack intended but what tires are Poteet, the Maro Special and others using?. I could be mistaken but the little I've seen doesn't look like over the counter stock to me. Thanks and hope I haven't offended. In a photograph of the Maro Special covering the rear section all I could see was the word Experimental and under that Bonneville but the rest was obscured.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 02:40:56 PM by tauruck »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2013, 03:21:59 PM »
I could dig through the photos and get shots of the Speed Demon tires - but it'd take me a while.  Let it be said that Nate Jones is the tire guy for the team, and he not only supplies the tires but goes to Speed Demon events so he can maintain and inspect them.  I guess you could ask him.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Steve Walters

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2013, 03:54:57 PM »
Little liner, glad to see your answer, I figured you were working on a good rebutle. 

I live the rule book, get to attend the changes every year, spent most of my life teaching about different rules, and regulations.  I understand how everybody interprets what the rules read differently.  There is a lot of wording that I don't understand in the dry lakes rules.  I'm lucky enough to be able to get a lot of experience every year so I can understand them better.

I just thought you took a cheap shot at the officials and techs, they put in a lot of time and hard work to make our addiction possible.

2.F is language in the four wheel section of the rule book, since the MC is a different set of rules, and sections, the language in the first sentence would clarify what this thread is about.  If you look for the class you are running in for tire requirements, you will be looking at car records not MC records.

Steve 
I've been from Bone to Blackfoot, but still just a Newbie here.

Wa's Bad Banana
B/CGALT

Offline dw230

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2013, 04:18:44 PM »
Does the rearrangment of this sentence from 2.F, 2013 rulebook read better?

"The use of any non-rated tire(s) such as implement, farm, aircraft, motorcycle, reproduction of a vintage automobile tire, 17" drag race tires or any non-pneumatic wheel/tire combination (no rubber) shall be submitted for approval to the contest board in writing 45 days prior to an event."

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth