Author Topic: motorcyle tires on a streamliner...  (Read 14318 times)

Offline jo maoma

motorcyle tires on a streamliner...
« on: March 22, 2013, 02:45:41 PM »
i was wanting to run a motorcycle tire on my streamliner build (the tire is speed and load rated
for the car weight and existing speed record) but was a bit confused by the rulebook wording.
who do i run my request by? book mentions a contest board for non-rated tires...

Offline dw230

Re: motorcyle tires on a streamliner...
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 11:35:35 AM »
Contact your committee chairperson, section 16

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline jo maoma

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 05:55:41 PM »
Got word back, no moto tires of any
kind on four wheel vehicles...

LittleLiner

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 10:14:39 PM »
Got word back, no moto tires of any
kind on four wheel vehicles...

Hummmmm. . . . .

Wonder how this one got through.  ??   

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 12:00:28 AM »
Quote from: LittleLiner

Hummmmm. . . . .

Wonder how this one got through.  ??   
[/quote

Another oops perhaps?
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 08:02:41 AM »
you would think if the tires were of the appropriate load and speed rating, It wouldn't matter how many wheels they were intended for.
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 11:37:03 AM »
Hard to imagine that a small streamliner would induce more forces, perhaps side loading in a spin, than the MotoGP boys subject their bikes to on the fast asphalt tracks where they can actually slide both ends at the same time.  It would be interesting to inquire of Michelin or Bridgestone, who make tires for both 2 and 4 wheelers, what their opinion would be.  We had a guy run at Loring on a street Luge with a Buell motor that went over 150 on what looked like oversize skateboard wheels.  He had a letter from the manufacturer of the wheels that rated them for 180mph.  I believe he also ran at Bonneville, probably just for time (but it still should have passed tech), but which event I don't know.

That's me trying it on for size, but I'm not crazy enough to try it out!
Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 12:22:36 PM »
Running at Bonneville does not necessarily mean running at an SCTA event.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline jo maoma

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 12:32:31 PM »
you would think if the tires were of the appropriate load and speed rating, It wouldn't matter how many wheels they were intended for.

that's what i was thinking but Mr Kennedy said the concern was
with the bead on the moto tires staying seated IIRC...

Offline Steve Walters

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 03:34:25 PM »
The K/GL lakester is in tech at WOS, it would have to be pre 2008, cause I didn't have that embrella that year, it got run over I think in 2007.  The tent was handed down to MC tech in 2008, and the lakester would not be in MC tech.  In 2007 the record for that class was 149 and change.  Can you tell the tires are actually MC tires from the picture?  Do you know what year the MC tire rule came about, I believe it was after a car incident years after that picture was taken.  Why stir the pot when the facts aren't really known?

:roll:

The proper procedure was followed, and the proper answer has been given.  Lets dig up a picture from the early 50s' and question why we have to run with roll cages, these guys didn't.

Steve   
I've been from Bone to Blackfoot, but still just a Newbie here.

Wa's Bad Banana
B/CGALT

Offline Steve Walters

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 03:51:38 PM »
The street luge first came to WOS in 2006, he ran it in the 130 club. with a smaller engine.  He had full leathers, and was very professional, he didn't make it that year, but hot rod mag did an article about him, in which he stated that he was coming back to run in the 150 club.  The next year he showed up with the bigger engine, and we told him to run the 130 before trying the 150.  He froze up the wheels before he got to 130, but he got close, the next year he had the new wheels and run the 150, I believe he has run every year since then, but I did not see him in 2012.  I don't believe he ever made the 150 club on the salt, but he has a lot of fun trying, and comes very close, the longer run gets him over the 140 mark, I would have to check back to see exactly how fast he has gone, it would be in the 150 club runs, at www.saltflats.com for 2009, and 2010 for sure.  Before somebody gets wound up, the 130, and 150 clubs do not fall under SCTA/BNI rules.   :-P

Steve     

Wa's Bad Banana
B/CGALT

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 06:46:21 PM »
I just saw a video of some guy named Ab Jenkins running at Bonneville without a head and neck restraint.  Whatsup with that?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline salt27

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 07:16:00 PM »
And then there's Freud. :-D

Offline jo maoma

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013, 07:25:09 PM »
didn't mean to stir the pot just posting my thoughts and the info i had. i'll try to not
be so inflammatory in the future no one else has to add me to their ignore list...

Offline Steve Walters

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2013, 07:33:52 PM »
didn't mean to stir the pot just posting my thoughts and the info i had. i'll try to not
be so inflammatory in the future no one else has to add me to their ignore list...

Your posts are just fine, you are not the one putting up old pictures, which insinuate the officials are selective on who the rules apply to.

Steve 

Wa's Bad Banana
B/CGALT