Author Topic: Caster settings for Street Roadster  (Read 7251 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Caster settings for Street Roadster
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2006, 07:29:35 PM »
Quote from: hitz
Sum,
   Looks looks like zero camber to me on Beatty's tank! I was confused before and am more confused now.
Harv

It looks like zero in the picture, but looking at other pictures I would say it is 4-5, probably about what was stock back then.

Stan if you can take some pictures and e-mail them to me I'll be glad to post them.

c ya, Sum

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
My two cents on caster:
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2006, 08:23:53 PM »
You need some caster just to make the steering "stable" i.e. the caster preloads all of the steering connections and gear and caster makes the steering want to go to straight forward so if you run lots of it the car really wants to go straight but will also add a "cross jacking" affect if you turn the wheels alot. Cross jacking can also be increased by using a spindle with lost of king pin inclination, which is why spring cars run 10+ deg. king pin inclination and 7-10 degress of caster. When they back it into a turn and then "steer right to go left" the right front wheel picks up the front end and also this causes the left rear to carry more weight which is just what a sprinter wants. BUT sprint cars have fairly rigid frames so this jacking cause by lots of caster and king pin angle actually does something. Most of the cars at B'ville are long, narrow and or have fairly flexable frames so the cross jacking affect of the added caster is not as prominate. Give her 10 degress and if she don't go straight give her some more!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline interested bystander

caster angle
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2006, 08:45:55 PM »
Some additional thoughts on the subject-NOSE HEAVY cars seem to require less caster than tail heavy.Those of you that may have Fred Puhn's '70s book "How to Make Your Car Handle" will recall a chart that shows late model Lincolns of that time actually having POSITIVE caster (top of kingpin leaning forward) and Porsches-with their overhung engine- having a lot in the opposite.  
Top Fuelers exceed 30 sometimes. Funny Cars around 12 and Pro Stocks 9-but the violent acceleration required may dictate those numbers.
I'm amazed at the lack of caster on Beatty's tank- and recall my first trip to El Mirage in the mid-50s wen his and Earl Evans tanks battled for top time till dusk!
El Mirage cars maybe should be set up more like sprint cars- lots of being loose on dirt!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)